Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-25-2013, 09:49 PM

1,376 posts, read 1,366,407 times

Advertisements

Sigh, rest in peace old friend. I grew up with your values.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2013, 10:04 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,911,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mouldy Old Schmo View Post
Griffith did several TV movies in the 1970s in which he attempted to break out of typecasting. Pray for the Wildcats (1974) with William Shatner and Robert Reed being the most notorious. To me, Griffith just wasn't believable playing bad guys. Even watching him in his movie debut A Face in the Crowd is a strange experience.
INSP Network shows Matlock reruns and I have watched a few of them. I did watch some episodes in its original run. Now I think the show is lame. The plots are ridiculous and Andy Griffith seemed older than he actually was.
Griffith was definitely cut from a different cloth than many other actors. He didn't hang around much with the Hollywood crowd or seek publicity. He gave few interviews and seemed ill at ease doing them. He was married three times, suggesting he could have been hard to get along with on a personal level. Regardless, he entertained us for better and worse. RIP Andy.
By the time he did those movies in the '70's, Andy was pretty much cast in stone as good-guy Sheriff Taylor, so it would have been difficult for audiences to accept him as a bad guy. In some of those movies his characters were downright evil. I'm guessing that the idea was to really obliterate the Sheriff Taylor image, but to me, having Andy play fearsome villains just clashed with the nice-guy image way too much. It might have worked better if someone had tried to cast him as a bad guy, but a bad guy with some complexity. At least then you might have been able to see something human in his character that would have bridged the gap between Sheriff Taylor and a bad-guy image.

Lonesome Rhodes was something else, though. That was a very interesting, complicated character. Egotistical and despicable, but somehow also sympathetic in a sad way. I think the difficulty in seeing A Face in the Crowd anytime since The Andy Griffith Show might be that Andy's good-guy image was so profoundly established after The . . . Show that it could be difficult to picture him as any character who wasn't fundamentally likeable. Still, I saw A Face . . . just a couple of years ago, the one and only time I've seen it, and Lonesome Rhodes worked for me. I think maybe it was because the character had that kind of gap-bridging complexity which I pointed out above was missing from the villains in those '70's movies.

Of course Andy did get his one chance to play a bad guy successfully in Spy Hard. I thought it was a so-so movie except for a few really funny moments scattered through the plot, but Andy was great doing a comical portrayal of a totally evil villain. I enjoyed that all the more because I got the feeling that he really had fun playing the role.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Celebrities