Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-01-2014, 06:41 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,298,706 times

Advertisements

Good morning friends!
Sorry to hear you were ill brienzi and glad you are feeling better now. That is one nasty flu!
Thank you for your prayers and constant support--I appreciate it!
Hope everyone has a lovely weekend.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM

Great commercial is suppose to be on at the Super Bowl for ALS! If you get a change take a look.....

http://www.geekwire.com/2014/microso...otional-punch/

Last edited by cynwldkat; 02-01-2014 at 10:08 AM..

Old 02-01-2014, 11:18 AM

1,886 posts, read 2,224,432 times
Very powerful and emotional add, while at the same time it makes me and others i hope appreciative of the strides in technology that can improve the daily lives of one suffering from ALS.. Good stuff Cyn..Wishing everyone a good weekend 2.

Old 02-01-2014, 04:42 PM

Very difficult day today....we did our usual Saturday grocery shopping but DH was quite grumpy and with me not being able to understand what he was saying caused even more problems--even in the store-- I understand his frustration but I sure wish he could understand how frustrated I get. It's like someone taking their finger nail and running it across a chalk board--not so much his sound but the feeling you feel throughout your body. It makes me sad.......I am still working on always looking for that little bit of "happy" but it has alluded me lately. Tomorrow will be better!

Last edited by cynwldkat; 02-01-2014 at 05:30 PM..

Old 02-01-2014, 05:30 PM

Hang in there Cyn and tomorrow will be better! A question, will you and DH have access to the type tech. that will be posted
tomorrow for ALS.. I hope I'm not asking a stupid question as i try to follow the thread as best i can..I sure hope you do..
To a better tomorrow for both of you..goodnight and peace be with you..

Old 02-01-2014, 05:54 PM

Not sure what you mean access to the type tech ????

Old 02-01-2014, 07:16 PM

I meant i hope you have access to the type of visual technology that the add on the superbowl is going to show..
That's all. With all the new changes in health care/insurance and such..I hope you have access to these types of advances in technology. That's what i meant to say or was trying to say..

type tech was a typo on my part..I meant to say "have access to that type of tech." and abbreviated technology with
"tech"..

Sorry for the confusion..

That Technology looks amazing and also thank you for your well wishes on being better now. I am thanks, as it's been one cold/flu after another lately! Hopefully that's it for the year.

Last edited by brienzi; 02-01-2014 at 07:26 PM..

Old 02-02-2014, 06:36 AM

Good morning friends!
Brienzi, the M.D.A. and ALS combined offer grants to help cover the costs of these computers--often it will cover them 100% depending on the kind you get. You go out and purchase what type you want and give them the receipt and they cover what they can afford to cover. We already have applied for grant assistance but have not used it yet. I believe they offer each patient a few different grants a year for different items needed. Honestly without the MDA and the ALS help I don't know what we would do. We are very fortunate to have them.
This next week is going to be very busy which is so hard on my DH but we must do it. He has 2 Dr appointments on Thursday in Concord-----those are his make-up appointments from the day it snowed and then on Friday we have our clinic day which is in Charlotte and lasts all day long from early in the morning. We have to leave here by 6am. My DH will see 14 different Dr's and therapist during that time. Very tiring but it is good as they do this every 3 months to keep track of how he is coming along and do whatever they can to make his life just a little better if possible.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:01 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Very difficult day today....we did our usual Saturday grocery shopping but DH was quite grumpy and with me not being able to understand what he was saying caused even more problems--even in the store-- I understand his frustration but I sure wish he could understand how frustrated I get. It's like someone taking their finger nail and running it across a chalk board--not so much his sound but the feeling you feel throughout your body. It makes me sad.......I am still working on always looking for that little bit of "happy" but it has alluded me lately. Tomorrow will be better!
Totally understandable, dear Cyn...... but you keep plugging along and I can't tell you how much I admire you for that.....

A little belated, but I just had to check in and see how you were doing...

Not much, but a ((((((Cyn)))))) hug for you......

Old 02-02-2014, 11:25 AM

14,928 posts, read 12,126,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning friends!
Brienzi, the M.D.A. and ALS combined offer grants to help cover the costs of these computers--often it will cover them 100% depending on the kind you get. You go out and purchase what type you want and give them the receipt and they cover what they can afford to cover. We already have applied for grant assistance but have not used it yet. I believe they offer each patient a few different grants a year for different items needed. Honestly without the MDA and the ALS help I don't know what we would do. We are very fortunate to have them.
This next week is going to be very busy which is so hard on my DH but we must do it. He has 2 Dr appointments on Thursday in Concord-----those are his make-up appointments from the day it snowed and then on Friday we have our clinic day which is in Charlotte and lasts all day long from early in the morning. We have to leave here by 6am. My DH will see 14 different Dr's and therapist during that time. Very tiring but it is good as they do this every 3 months to keep track of how he is coming along and do whatever they can to make his life just a little better if possible.

Sounds exhausting, but you know it's got to happen and hopefully will be well worth the efforts you have to put into getting to all those appointments and the clinic.

The technology is amazing ( my DH worked with paralyzed veterans at the VA for years researching and getting them equipment and other means to make them more independent, it's amazing what is out there), and I am so happy that you and your DH have the support that will help you get what he needs to help him maintain his capabilities and a little independence. And I thank goodness every day, as I know you do too, for the folks who've dedicated their lives to making it possible for people with ALS, and other debilitating conditions to live as well as they can.

And while it will require adjustments to that technology, and the realization that it's futile (though understandable) to look back towards what was and grieve for that loss, it will make things better for your DH, I think. And for that I hope and pray every day for you and DH.....

((((Cyn and DH)))))))
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving