Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2014, 06:03 PM

48,149 posts, read 22,016,035 times

Advertisements

Good Night cyn....and your DH. "We are all connected, even when we feel so alone."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2014, 07:02 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,322,780 times
Good morning friends!
Yes elston, we are all connected and I thank the Lord for that!
Today I am going to try to focus on what needs to be done.
Have a good day everyone!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:46 PM

So yes, I did try and I did get some things done but not nearly what I had hoped to get done. Had distractions.....had to get new Dr. appointments made since yesterdays were missed....had to take pictures for items DH wants to list--he can no longer take pictures as his hands shake to much.....had to get a few of my own items listed and wrap a few things to send that did sell....I feel like I was spinning most of the time really but at least this day is almost over--for that I am thankful!

Old 01-30-2014, 03:49 PM

I feel so badly.......my DH is getting nearly impossible to understand now and he gets so frustrated with me--I try very hard to understand him--I can only imagine how difficult it must be for him to be trapped in his body and not be able to communicate now. One more week until the next clinic so maybe we'll figure out which computer thingy we need to help him talk. I know he doesn't want to have to type everything down so we'll see....

Old 01-30-2014, 07:58 PM

3,433 posts, read 5,748,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
I feel so badly.......my DH is getting nearly impossible to understand now and he gets so frustrated with me--I try very hard to understand him--I can only imagine how difficult it must be for him to be trapped in his body and not be able to communicate now. One more week until the next clinic so maybe we'll figure out which computer thingy we need to help him talk. I know he doesn't want to have to type everything down so we'll see....

I truly do understand what you are going thru as my wife lost her voice early in her ALS battle.

I recall Easter Sunday of 2011 when one of her last clear sentences was a frustrated comment to me......................."you don't listen "

The truth was, by slowly questioning her, she actually believed she was pronouncing the words correct even when her speech was slurred .

I can only tell you I will pray for you and keep you and your DH's struggle in my mind.
Yes, it is rough.

When you express your feelings I see my former self in your words and it makes me sad I can do nothing to make things better for you.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:20 AM

Good morning friends!
My dear dear Teddy--you do more then you know for me. My DH says the exact same thing "you just don't listen". I do and I try to have him say each word then I repeat it back to him just to make sure I hear things correctly but even that is difficult. I see the sad look in his eyes--he knows he is losing this battle with ALS. Each day seems to be a little worse. All I can do is sit and watch--I do try to do what I can but I can't make it stop. That is what hurts me the most--I can't make it better.

Old 01-31-2014, 07:56 AM

One girl from our ALS clinic--her husband has had ALS for 6 years now and he cannot move any part of his body, has a feeding peg and had a trachea but has still been able to communicate with the use of the computer that uses his eyes to talk for him. Now he is losing his eyesight so then he will have no way to communicate. This is a young couple and it breaks my heart!

Old 01-31-2014, 12:38 PM

14,956 posts, read 12,166,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
Good morning friends!
My dear dear Teddy--you do more then you know for me. My DH says the exact same thing "you just don't listen". I do and I try to have him say each word then I repeat it back to him just to make sure I hear things correctly but even that is difficult. I see the sad look in his eyes--he knows he is losing this battle with ALS. Each day seems to be a little worse. All I can do is sit and watch--I do try to do what I can but I can't make it stop. That is what hurts me the most--I can't make it better.
That sense of helplessness, added to everything as you run on your hamster wheel trying to get it all done and make it as good as it can be, has to be the worst, I think. You share that sense of helplessness with your DH as he can't change it either.... that's the worst part besides the effects of the ALS, I think. Those who love you and would do anything to help, or to take it away from you can only watch as it happens, and grieve that they can't do more.....

It's the human condition as we witness our loved ones go through the stages of a terminal condition, there's no getting around it. I hope it isn't trite to say, though, that the love and devotion that we see you, and folks like Teddy, and others who have shared their realities on this site extend towards your beloved family members ( spouses, parents, grandparents) shines through the sense of hopelessness that sometimes threatens to crush those who bear those burdens. You can't see it, when you're overwhelmed as you are with the responsibilities of being your DH's caretaker, but it's there.

And it's still your love and devotion to your DH that will make it bearable to him, bad as it is..

That said, hopefully the folks at your ALS clinic will be able to help you and DH with the best communication device for him....

My love and prayers for you both.....

Old 01-31-2014, 03:27 PM

Thanks for stopping by--always enjoy and learn from your posts!
Life is not easy right now but we will get through it all I suppose.............

Old 01-31-2014, 06:24 PM

1,886 posts, read 2,227,747 times
You will get through it Cyn, day by day with the support of family and friends. I can't imagine what your going through but
my prayers are with you and DH. I've had the flu and haven't been on, but feel better now. Just wanted to stop by and offer
my support anyway i can. Peace..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Caregiving