Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2020, 05:46 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
My wife and I have used a program on a CD for years. They should be able to do remote training. They can set up a Zoom account for free and do 40 minutes with no cost and i think much longer for I believe $14.95 a month. Need to check that. But it is cheap.
That works for teaching. I have no doubt it's not difficult to teach almost any subject remotely. But students having to prove their participation with video submissions of themselves in action, especially if they have to pay - that might be a major problem. I think if music classes are very singing-oriented, then students can just submit recordings of themselves singing. There probably aren't any indoor school choirs this new semester, because singing in groups is considered high-risk for coronavirus transmission.

Old 08-11-2020, 11:39 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I was referring more to the difference between remote teaching from home and teaching to students who are physically present. (Look at my location.)

Anyway, serious question, a possible dead-end tangent: what happens to gym teachers whose schools are in remote-learning mode? Music teachers and maybe a few other specialties, too.
In the Spring my Grandson's gym teacher had the kids keep a daily log of their physical activity, i.e 30 minutes riding bike. Then they would have zoom sessions and the kids would talk about what kind of things they'd been doing and she would lead them in stretching and warm up exercises. His music teacher had regular zoom sessions and assignments where the kids had to record themselves singing a song or playing a homemade instrument to a recording. The kids really liked it. The art teacher assigned projects and showed the kids how to make them in zoom sessions. when they were done they would have a parent take a photo of the project and upload it for grading.

The downfall in the Spring was the lack of consistency in the reading, social science, science and math curriculum. It seems like each one had a separate and somewhat convoluted way to submit the work which led to a lot of confusion. And there were no textbooks so to do an assignment the kids had to learn how to open two tabs in the program, one to the assignment the other to the study materials needed to complete the assignment. This year they distributed a full set of textbooks which should make this go much smoother.

Old 08-12-2020, 06:06 AM

26,726 posts, read 26,806,307 times
Quote:
That works for teaching. I have no doubt it's not difficult to teach almost any subject remotely. But students having to prove their participation with video submissions of themselves in action, especially if they have to pay - that might be a major problem. I think if music classes are very singing-oriented, then students can just submit recordings of themselves singing. There probably aren't any indoor school choirs this new semester, because singing in groups is considered high-risk for coronavirus transmission.
The idea that any public school teacher or administrator can use non-approved curriculum to do their jobs is ludicrous. Do you know anything about state standards and how tough Sacramento is in regard to district employees adhering to those standards?

Old 08-12-2020, 09:56 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,451,215 times
Quote:
You and others take my points way too personally. Just accept that there are some - I never said many - teachers who would misuse the situation for extra income. (That also includes tutoring for pay online during school hours.)

I know that Governor Newsom doesn't run the schools. But if he disagrees strongly enough with teachers having to be on campus during the pandemic, he can issue an order that makes them work remotely.

You're not making points. You're just raising speculation, and it's speculation over a far flung scenario where teachers are somehow cheating the system for their own personal gain. There's a difference between taking something personally and being able to speak for something from a personal perspective. That in mind, I know your speculation is way off base. If you think this is really a big problem, then take that fight to the state and make them find the money and resources to open real schools the way experts say it'd have to be done to be safe. That's the solution.

For now though, the next school year is going to be zoom meetings, etc. This is all being done from the personal homes of teachers like ours, using our internet service, our electricity and our physical space to house a literal classroom "remotely" located from a real one. You're welcome for that.

Old 08-12-2020, 10:23 AM

San Quentin, the new ground zero.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/covid-19-...032310705.html

Old 08-12-2020, 01:19 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,309,230 times
Quote:
While its a good time to address and reform the issue and consequence of prison overcrowding in general though it also shows that no matter what is done or not done by policy makers or individuals we are going to have these waves and no amount of finger pointing can change it or lockdowns for that matter. At least according to this scientist express.co.uk/news/world/1305533/Falkland-Islands-coronavirus-case-china-news-wuhan-lab-origin
Though the article wouldn't tell the whole story though for example whether labs around the world took the virus and mutated like Anthrax.

However it pretty much explains why even the most lockdowned and isolated areas such as Indian reservations in the middle of the country and food plants may still have outbreaks despite their people not having any contact with people from outside world, out of state let alone out of country/China. And that places with more connections with China doesn't necessary have more case rates than places with little to no contact with China sometimes even less. And that no correlation whether areas with harsh lockdowns do any better than places with soft or almost no lockdown. Though lockdowns do cause many other unintended consequences both short term and long term on health and other social economic issues.

That is assuming that the prisons were on lockdown since March and still have outbreaks its likely too sources either the goods coming into prison are infected or the sewage in the toilets. Goods are the only things not subject to quarantine in most countries/jurisdictions when they enter the ports thus they are likely a suspicious culprit. My layman hypothesis is that imported mutations of the virus may counter act with the ones naturally occurring in the area and morph into another mutation which may explain why this mutated so much compared to natural cold and flu viruses.

Last edited by citizensadvocate; 08-12-2020 at 01:28 PM..

Old 08-12-2020, 02:15 PM

Harsh lockdowns shackle the virus and keep it from moving into other areas, period. It's a waste of time to argue otherwise. I don't know about sewage spread, but definitely transported goods should be suspected of causing outbreaks. It's possible that in New Zealand there was some asymptomatic background spread that hadn't been detected.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:22 PM

5,267 posts, read 4,180,221 times
All you scared angry people need to get out of the Cali bubble. I just got back from Idaho what a beautiful free state. We went to a outside rooftop bar and people were dancing to music everybody was happy drinking and socializing then on another day we went inner tubing on the river and nobody called the cops on us like 2sleepy did in Sacramento. School is starting on the hybrid schedule. Employees wear masks but customers don’t have to. Boise downtown was clean no homeless no protestors. Universities are open, everybody is working. The panic the politicians and media are feeding you is destroying California.

Old 08-12-2020, 02:30 PM

21,734 posts, read 16,346,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
All you scared angry people need to get out of the Cali bubble. I just got back from Idaho what a beautiful free state. We went to a outside rooftop bar and people were dancing to music everybody was happy drinking and socializing then on another day we went inner tubing on the river and nobody called the cops on us like 2sleepy did in Sacramento. School is starting on the hybrid schedule. Employees wear masks but customers don’t have to. Boise downtown was clean no homeless no protestors. Universities are open, everybody is working. The panic the politicians and media are feeding you is destroying California.
Thanks for the report. Good idea: everybody move to AZ and ID! Do it today!

I’ll stay behind to sweep up and keep an eye on the place ...

Old 08-12-2020, 02:42 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
You might want to go back and reread that post, if I remember correctly, I mentioned reporting a dive bar that had reopened, not the rafters. but I love it that you like Idaho, I'm sure it's a perfect fit for you, please run along now and enjoy utopia!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California