Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-02-2020, 05:15 PM

21,741 posts, read 16,361,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RogerT55 View Post
You can be a good little lemming. The rest of us are tired of this BS and won’t comply anymore.
Pretty sure you don’t know much of anything about lemmings. Obvious from your non sequiturs trying to link Californians to the little critters (which critters, contrary to myth, do NOT go over cliffs committing mass suicide).

But that silliness aside, while we are ALL tired of restrictions, “the rest of [you]” who “won’t comply” are in a distinct minority, despite your inference otherwise. However “tired” Californians are, there remains a strong majority support for the governor and the Covid policies.

From the California Public Policy Institute (late October report)

approval ratings

First, the coronavirus outbreak continues to be a top-tier issue in California... When asked about current restrictions on public activities the coronavirus, just 7 percent of Democrats say there should be fewer restrictions in their area, in contrast to 62 percent of Republicans. ...
(And guess what party the majority of Californians belong to?)

I see that a lot of adolescent protesting appears on social media, of course. But that doesn’t make your position a majority ... nor one bit sensible.

Old 12-02-2020, 05:22 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
On November 9, 2,000 students were right here. (I wonder if these schools are still open now.)

...for all the restrictions they had to navigate, families and officials expressed excitement as their small public school system in the Calabasas area became the first in L.A. County to reopen campuses to transitional kindergarten through second-grade classes under county-approved waivers. These waivers allow campuses to reopen even when COVID-19 infection rates are high. About 2,000 students set foot in classrooms for in-person learning 55 days into the school year.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...s-las-virgenes
Thanks.

I haven't heard of any closures, but the local news just reported that (credit my speculation) the spot for biggest increase in transmission that seems to have been traced is schools. My opinion is that schools should be shut down next week (probably for any kind of learning while adjustments are made) and leave the facilities closed until next year. Individual schools that have outbreaks are supposed to close for a bit.

I don't see the location numbers online, but there's also data showing the Latino community is spreading the virus the most and I attribute much of it to attitude instead of living conditions (compare with the African-American community).
https://abc7.com/health/la-county-se...cases/8448012/
Here's my call to action to detain illegal immigrants in makeshift isolation units (including hotel rooms and trailers) for much of the winter. I'm talking about Los Angeles County. Some probably would have to be housed in neighboring counties, because there isn't much unoccupied housing to begin with and a small percentage of almost 1 million! is a big number.

Last edited by goodheathen; 12-02-2020 at 05:52 PM..

Old 12-02-2020, 06:05 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
(I wonder if these schools are still open now.)

I'm almost positive LAUSD is doing things like they are in SDUSD and that any schools with existing waivers can still operate if and when they fall into the strictest tier. But in "purple", they won't open additional sites for in-person learning. They've also limited it to tk-2 whereas we're doing tk-5.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I haven't heard of any closures, but the local news just reported that (credit my speculation) the spot for biggest increase in transmission that seems to have been traced is schools. My opinion is that schools should be shut down next week (probably for any kind of learning while adjustments are made) and leave the facilities closed until next year. Individual schools that have outbreaks are supposed to close for a bit.

The two biggest districts in the state are open for in-person only on a voluntary level anyway, so closures are really up to individual teachers. Right now, some in-person has been put on hold until after winter break for both safety concerns and simply because of the vacation schedules that break up this part of the school year.

If all these transmissions are being traced to schools as you claim (without any proof), it's news to me. But, hey what do I know? I only work in schools so I'm probably not a reliable source. If student to student transmission was the mechanism for community spread, it would show by now. It's staff to staff that's the bigger concern and that's based on actual science. But again, why trust me? I only did the trainings for the reopening so what would I know, right? The schools which have had broad enough outbreaks to temporarily close have been in districts with much more permissive plans.

Old 12-02-2020, 06:37 PM

14,317 posts, read 11,714,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
If all these transmissions are being traced to schools as you claim (without any proof), it's news to me. But, hey what do I know? I only work in schools so I'm probably not a reliable source. If student to student transmission was the mechanism for community spread, it would show by now. It's staff to staff that's the bigger concern and that's based on actual science. But again, why trust me? I only did the trainings for the reopening so what would I know, right? The schools which have had broad enough outbreaks to temporarily close have been in districts with much more permissive plans.
My son is in a public high school in which the kids who are actually attending in person (as opposed to completely online) are only going for four hours, twice a week. We periodically get an e-mail saying that someone who was at the campus has tested positive. This is just for general information. If there is a likelihood that my son was exposed (e.g. the positive case was a student or teacher in one of his classes), we would get further notification, but this has not happened.

For example, today an e-mail came stating that someone had tested positive, but they were last on campus on 11/20. Obviously, I'm not worried about this. There has been no outbreak at this school or at any school in our district.

My daughter goes to a private K-12 school in which all the kids attend in person every day. They have been in session since the beginning of September, and there has been no outbreak there either.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post

My daughter goes to a private K-12 school in which all the kids attend in person every day. They have been in session since the beginning of September, and there has been no outbreak there either.

That right there says a lot about how it *can* work. Success seems to vary even between schools in the same district for a lot of reasons. I said back in March that the state should be prioritizing a plan to help get this back on track. Instead they just passed the buck and have let districts be the judge of when and how to return. That was a huge mistake since there's now such a huge disparity between one area's schools and another. The districts (like mine) which are being overly cautious have good reason, imo. It's a liability they don't want to risk. I also get how frustrating it is to parents.

Old 12-02-2020, 07:58 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
The graph showing the biggest jump in infections in schools was on the KCAL-9 news. I can't be the only person who saw that.

I don't set foot in any schools. I don't know the protocols. However, I know some things about where I live that outsiders probably don't and I have no personal stake in in-person learning. Anyone who thinks small kids don't transmit the virus as easily to adults, I agree that's probably correct, but I have not read it's hard for them to do so. Moreover, it's likely that many private schools with waivers have older students on campus. What's known is that millions of young people have been infected but relatively few get obvious cases, which means that unless there is regularly, mandatory testing of students, there could be undetected outbreaks. Also, if ventilation is poor, the virus can hang around in the air, and any staff in there for hours (2 is about the safe maximum) could catch it despite masks and social distancing. High-risk staff probably have refused to teach in person, which also could be pushing transmission underground, depending on whether schools require staff to be tested beyond not-so-helpful temperature checks.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:08 PM

50,320 posts, read 47,069,940 times
How does CA "leadership" expect us to take them serious if they do exactly what they tell us not to be able to do? And people are squawking about the federal level like a bunch of angry hens? States rights doesn't mean a dictatorship at the State level.

Old 12-02-2020, 08:40 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
The graph showing the biggest jump in infections in schools was on the KCAL-9 news. I can't be the only person who saw that.
Except for those who live outside your viewing area. You might get more feedback if you directed your question to the LA subsection of the CA threads. No?

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
How does CA "leadership" expect us to take them serious if they do exactly what they tell us not to be able to do? And people are squawking about the federal level like a bunch of angry hens? States rights doesn't mean a dictatorship at the State level.
They expect it because the rules don't apply to them. Or maybe they thought they wouldn't get caught? They're hypocrites and it's hard to have respect for or follow their direction when they don't bother to show us the same respect.

Old 12-03-2020, 07:49 AM

26,739 posts, read 26,828,098 times
"As of Tuesday (12/1) — the most recent day for which state data are available — there were 2,006 COVID-19 patients in intensive care. That’s up roughly 75% from two weeks ago.

The state’s all-time record is 2,058, set on July 21.

Though hospitals have plans in place to expand their capacity should need arise, their ability to do so is limited. ICUs present a particular challenge because they typically need specialized space, equipment and staff."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...dented-heights
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California