Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-30-2020, 06:44 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
That's really interesting. I wish we had actual data about virus transmission from these places (like outdoor gyms). Contact tracing is only as good as the process; it doesn't help when people don't give their actual names and phone numbers.
Unless you are giving a donation no church has a guess list to fill out. Even then you don't have to list anything just donate.

Old 11-30-2020, 07:52 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Virus bad: noted.

Well, no. That's not just a thing which can be relegated to the 'something else' pile so easily. Maybe it's something else if you're in a position where you have nothing to lose, sure. But not everyone is that fortunate. If an outbreak (however that's defined) occurs at a church, it doesn't mean outbreaks will occur at all churches. Same with restaurants, hair salons, bars, gyms, schools, whatever. The authorities setting blanket policies with no evidence that they actually work are the ones undermining things, mainly the confidence of the public. That's why this latest surge is being taken less seriously than before. There's nothing wrong with demanding that mitigation efforts be demonstrably meaningful. This isn't March. The state/locals had an excuse to be winging it back then --now not so much.
Churches are being mostly left alone, due to the Constitution. The government isn't winging it with most other places. For now, many restaurants and bars are closed to most patrons because they have been unable to demonstrate that they typically comply with best practices. My best guess is that gyms are closed in many places because often the facilities themselves were built in a way that the air easily is fouled. Schools are where authorities are winging it, because of public pressure and lack of science about how easily the virus spreads from smaller kids to the general population.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:32 PM

50,290 posts, read 47,043,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
Churches are being mostly left alone, due to the Constitution. The government isn't winging it with most other places. For now, many restaurants and bars are closed to most patrons because they have been unable to demonstrate that they typically comply with best practices. My best guess is that gyms are closed in many places because often the facilities themselves were built in a way that the air easily is fouled. Schools are where authorities are winging it, because of public pressure and lack of science about how easily the virus spreads from smaller kids to the general population.
Everyone knew it was going to spike because it's, well winter and we spend more time inside. The thing is, is the amount of deaths climbing and what exactly is the criteria to "need a bed" in a hospital. The nurses I hunt with say they aren't even close to capacity.

Old 11-30-2020, 08:33 PM

4,021 posts, read 1,798,312 times
Quote:
Churches are being mostly left alone, due to the Constitution.
Only due to the recent SC decision...where have you been...?

Quote:
The government isn't winging it with most other places. For now, many restaurants and bars are closed to most patrons because they have been unable to demonstrate that they typically comply with best practices.
Another stretch by you.....Restaurants and bars are being shut down indiscriminately. Some states it is ok, others not?

Quote:
Schools are where authorities are winging it, because of public pressure and lack of science about how easily the virus spreads from smaller kids to the general population.
There is solid science about this. Kids have almost zero chance of catching this.

You might want to read some real news while you hide out in your basement.....

Old 11-30-2020, 10:49 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woody01 View Post
Another stretch by you.....Restaurants and bars are being shut down indiscriminately. Some states it is ok, others not?
This the California forum. In my opinion, it is not indiscriminate in this state.

Quote:
There is solid science about this. Kids have almost zero chance of catching this.
That is a falsehood. Anyone can Google and see that.

Quote:
You might want to read some real news while you hide out in your basement.....
You might want to stop insulting me. Anyone see Looker lately?

Old 12-01-2020, 06:33 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
A friend who’s not a conspiracy theorist sent me a link to an article from the study newsletter at Johns Hopkins University. The article cites a study by an assistant program director of the Applied Economics master’s degree program at Hopkins.

It says that they expected the numbers of deaths to increase over prior years, but they didn’t. The deaths of older people stayed the same before and after COVID. Heart disease was the leading cause of death prior to COVID, but after, those numbers significantly decreased.

Allegedly, this article was deleted pretty fast, but they published a follow up article where they explained why they took it down. They said the findings were used to minimize COVID, and that’s not their intention. It mentions the use of percentages vs raw numbers.

Both are interesting and it’s going to fuel the thought that the deaths are being incorrectly categorized.

This is the original article:

https://web.archive.org/web/20201126...ue-to-covid-19

Here’s the follow up:

https://www.jhunewsletter.com/articl...ue-to-covid-19

Draw your own conclusions.

Old 12-01-2020, 06:41 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
The thing is, is the amount of deaths climbing and what exactly is the criteria to "need a bed" in a hospital. The nurses I hunt with say they aren't even close to capacity.
It's my understanding that ICUs in CA hospitals are at 75%.

California has more people hospitalized with COVID-19 than at any time since the pandemic began, an ominous development that comes as officials warn of further virus spread after the long holiday weekend.

“We were prepared for an increase,” said Barbara Ferrer, the L.A. County public health director. “None of us really thought the increase would be so big across such a short period of time.”

There were 7,415 COVID-19 patients in California hospitals on Saturday (11/28), according to the latest numbers released by the state, surpassing the previous high of 7,170, set in July. Only a month earlier, on Oct. 28, about 2,400 COVID-19 patients were in state hospitals.

The death rate is also rising — in Los Angeles County, an average of 30 people are dying of COVID-19 every day, triple the rate from the period around election day. Statewide, an average of 75 deaths were reported daily over the seven-day period before Thanksgiving, compared with 40 in mid-November.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...spitalizations

Old 12-01-2020, 09:09 AM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
It's my understanding that ICUs in CA hospitals are at 75%.

California has more people hospitalized with COVID-19 than at any time since the pandemic began, an ominous development that comes as officials warn of further virus spread after the long holiday weekend.

“We were prepared for an increase,” said Barbara Ferrer, the L.A. County public health director. “None of us really thought the increase would be so big across such a short period of time.”

There were 7,415 COVID-19 patients in California hospitals on Saturday (11/28), according to the latest numbers released by the state, surpassing the previous high of 7,170, set in July. Only a month earlier, on Oct. 28, about 2,400 COVID-19 patients were in state hospitals.

The death rate is also rising — in Los Angeles County, an average of 30 people are dying of COVID-19 every day, triple the rate from the period around election day. Statewide, an average of 75 deaths were reported daily over the seven-day period before Thanksgiving, compared with 40 in mid-November.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...spitalizations
How many beds are there? I believe when the cases requiring hospitalization at a higher number were being dealt with, the hospitals were not near capacity then.

Anyone dying is not good, but it seems the ratio of deaths to infection is dropping a lot. This includes looking back 2 weeks from the time of death and seeing the number of cases. It is still bad, but seems to have fewer deaths. unfortunately we now see more bad after effects that do not go away quickly, if at all.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:05 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
I saw that someone asked me about bathroom spread weeks ago.

I can tell you weren't around during the initial AIDS epidemic or else you'd be laughing at this junk you read on some science entertainment site.

Quote:
I don't think there is much more data than that. There should be, but conducting research on restaurants (bathrooms or other elements) before detected outbreaks would be difficult.
And pointless.

Quote:
In general, waiting for numbers to offer firm conclusions is a bad approach during a crisis.
I agree... when it's still a crisis --like back in February or March. But we're nine months into this and that may as well be a new epoch in the covid world. We know a lot more now than we did back in late winter. There needs to be a balance for policy to work. Right now, there's not which is why the state is being sued over baseless protocols.

Old 12-01-2020, 11:34 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
I don't worship numbers. I'm here for honest discussion.

Most people ought to be able to see your agenda, which is to paint the government as too strict and COVID-19 as not a serious health threat. The lack of concern for any symptom other than death is a dead giveaway.
You post all kinds of numbers without any source or link and push back against anyone that asks. Your posts have no credibility.

The gubermint restrictions are too strict and they don’t work. That much is obvious to anyone without your agenda.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California