Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-28-2020, 03:52 PM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times

Advertisements

Citizen, you'd mentioned Black Friday on another thread. Speaking of that and the coronavirus, I was sorry to see--in photos and in the news--how many people were out there. (Yes, I used to line up at Home Depot at 5 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving.)

Apparently sales "cratered 52%." I guess not in southern California, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/28/blac...-pandemic.html

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...rs-coronavirus

Old 11-28-2020, 04:14 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,277,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Citizen, you'd mentioned Black Friday on another thread. Speaking of that and the coronavirus, I was sorry to see--in photos and in the news--how many people were out there. (Yes, I used to line up at Home Depot at 5 a.m. the day after Thanksgiving.)

Apparently sales "cratered 52%." I guess not in southern California, though.

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/28/blac...-pandemic.html

https://www.latimes.com/business/sto...rs-coronavirus
The people in the LA Times article said people were masked and properly distancing. The photos looked like it too. One photo looked crowded, but you couldn’t tell because of the perspective it was taken. The merchants said it was pretty quiet too.

Doesn’t look like a problem at all.

Old 11-28-2020, 05:14 PM

6,321 posts, read 7,046,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCSD88 View Post
509 said WA and NY. Not CA.

In Washington, the Governor also issued a stay at home order and REFUSED to enforce it!!! He had the authority, unlike the President. He could declare a state-wide emergency.....the Democrats used this authority once before.....to build Paul Allen his Seattle Seahawks football stadium with public tax dollars.

When the pandemic first broke in Washington state last spring, Governor Inslee refused to enforce his OWN stay at home order. The County Commissioners in the counties surrounding King and Snohomish Counties ASKED the Governor to enforce the order.....he refused.

I even called the Governor's Office last spring and talked to a staffer for 45 minutes. Yep, the Governor was NOT going to enforce his order.

So the Chelan County commissioners shut down all lodging in the county. Unfortunately, 40% of the homes in Chelan County are second homes owned by residents of King and Snohomish County and they came over in droves bringing the virus with them.

Well, we are returning the favor this weekend.

Prior to Thanksgiving in Chelan County the 14-day case rate is 961 cases/100,000 population. That is FORTY TIMES the goal rate. In King County right now it is ONLY 383/100,000 population.

This Thanksgiving it has been bumper to bumper traffic with people driving in from Seattle and other places in western Washington for the long holiday. I am sure they will be leaving with virus in their cars!!!

The only thing that works in pandemics is QUARANTINE of infected areas. It is how Canada, New Zealand, Australia, China, and South Korea have to this point mitigated the spread of the virus.

In Washington state there are seven medical "catchment areas". Spokane, Tri-Cities, Yakima, Wenatchee, Bellingham, Olympia, Vancouver-Portland. These also correspond to the economic trading areas. California has a similar "medical "catchment" areas.

We need to establish QUARANTINE areas based on this medical catchment areas just Australia, Canada and other successful countries.

So far every Governor has refused to do this....and so the virus will continue to spread. Right now, everybody is waiting on the vaccine, but otherwise the future is VERY GRIM.

Old 11-28-2020, 10:35 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
That destroys the claim that left-leaning people behave any better in private. Therefore, the virus problem in LA is not an anomaly.

What the government legally could do is create road checkpoints for Christmas, for ostensibly the usual reasons. But create so many of them it causes a traffic back-up that nobody wants to be stuck in and therefore convincing many people not to travel. COVID-19 Carmaggedon. Problem, though, if households are sharing cars.... Vehicles with several adults probably would have to be targeted at checkpoints.

Old 11-29-2020, 07:02 AM

26,727 posts, read 26,812,827 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
The people in the LA Times article said people were masked and properly distancing.

Doesn’t look like a problem at all.
Los Angeles County public health officials announced a slew of new restrictions Friday afternoon, banning most gatherings and placing new limits on businesses. At that very moment, shoppers were swarming the Citadel Outlets in Commerce searching for holiday deals. Videos showing long lines of hundreds of shoppers trying to get into stores and parking lots filled nearly to capacity, with cars circling looking for an empty space, went viral on social media.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ravel-shopping

Old 11-29-2020, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Los Angeles County public health officials announced a slew of new restrictions Friday afternoon, banning most gatherings and placing new limits on businesses. At that very moment, shoppers were swarming the Citadel Outlets in Commerce searching for holiday deals. Videos showing long lines of hundreds of shoppers trying to get into stores and parking lots filled nearly to capacity, with cars circling looking for an empty space, went viral on social media.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ravel-shopping
Hit a paywall and couldn’t read that. It doesn’t change the prior link you posted. People and merchants interviewed said it was fine. The photos looked fine except one. The one exception had a possible perspective issue like what they did with the beaches months ago.

Still don’t see a problem. Looked like what I see on a regular weekend shopping trip.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:08 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 509 View Post
Public health responsibilities are primarily with local and state governments.

Not according to some posters.
Since March, the "no national leadership" refrain has echoed off the walls around here quite a bit when it comes to defending our state's slow response and mediocre attempt to enact strategic covid policy.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:17 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,452,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Still don’t see a problem. Looked like what I see on a regular weekend shopping trip.

Everything I've read says turnout was low matching predictions. I'm sure there were exceptions here and there. This is all about advancing the next narrative which undoubtedly will be that the next surge was caused by Thanksgiving/holiday shopping. And nobody is supposed to ask for any concrete cause & effect evidence because it will only underscore how terribly absent contact tracing and accurate data collection still is after all these months.

Old 11-29-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
Everything I've read says turnout was low matching predictions. I'm sure there were exceptions here and there. This is all about advancing the next narrative which undoubtedly will be that the next surge was caused by Thanksgiving/holiday shopping. And nobody is supposed to ask for any concrete cause & effect evidence because it will only underscore how terribly absent contact tracing and accurate data collection still is after all these months.
With all the screaming about science and data, it’s curious how LA banned all indoor and outdoor dining when their own data showed less than 4% of cases came from restaurants.

A local church was in the news because they defied county orders to close and held indoor services. Now they’re in the news again because the authorities say there was a community outbreak there.

One of the news channels said “In a letter to the church, the county said while the community outbreak linked to the church doesn't mean that anyone contracted COVID-19 at the location, everyone who has attended events at the location should quarantine for 14 days.”

Maybe I’m misreading that, but how can you have an outbreak when it doesn’t mean anyone contracted the virus? They also said places weren’t normally named but they couldn’t get in touch with anyone.

Sounds suspicious to me, maybe retaliation for thumbing their nose at the public health authorities.

Old 11-29-2020, 01:20 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,880,599 times
Maybe you (many of you) should be concerned more about public health than mind games. No amount of games changes the fact that the virus itself is dangerous.

If there's a report of an outbreak, believe there was an outbreak. Whether spread happens at a particular location is something else. Whether reporting from some locations is accurate also is a separate issue. If illness isn't spreading among employees, how would they know whether patrons have infected each other? Think for safety, not to undermine things.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California