Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-14-2022, 09:21 AM

8,353 posts, read 5,510,571 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
I made an honest mistake
Fine. Just say that and move on.

Old 01-14-2022, 09:46 AM

3,348 posts, read 2,313,475 times
Its very interesting in knowing where federal power ends and state rights begin.
I.e regarding the workplace thing as well as requiring local transportation company(municipal or private) that operates entering within a state not cross state borders nor require federal funding. Would federal government have teeth in requiring their employees be vaccinated and both employees and patrons to be masked. I mean anymore than requiring a convention center, arena, stadium, or other venue that regularly hosts major cross state events to comply with a federal mandate

Old 01-14-2022, 10:40 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times
In practice, that probably doesn't matter in California, because the state government is more in favor of COVID restrictions than the Federal government is.

Old 01-14-2022, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by As Above So Below... View Post
Fine. Just say that and move on.
It's not okay for me to get tripped up twice in a week by maybe objectively confusing articles, and it's even less for you to ever deliberately distort sources. Just stop that. In fact, stop thinking Delta is going away soon or that this situation would become good purely from that.
This country is too big and Omicron not moving fast enough (which sounds absurd) to fully knock Delta out and keep it out. (Except Hawaii.)
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...150453732.html
Furthermore, having been unable to find data confirmation, I suspect articles are inaccurate and maybe because of the no-testing policy in South Africa, Delta has been prematurely declared gone there. It is not being called gone from any other country.
I wish this situation allowed living (normally) with COVID. It doesn't, and it's toxic to insist otherwise.

Old 01-14-2022, 12:50 PM

3,155 posts, read 2,703,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
You lost me, there are 29 kids in my grandson's class. 13 are not in school (including my grandson). The teacher said that some kids are quarantined, some are home ill after a positive test, and the remainder are symptomatic but either not tested, or tested negative but too ill to return to school. I don't think that you can extrapolate the number of absences in one class to the entire school, even with seasonal colds contagion is frequently limited to a few classrooms, so you can't say that since there are 10 kids in one class who are ill there are 10 in every other class.

But why are you challenging me about this? I have no reason to lie about it. And I'm not going to get into a discussion with you over how I feel about the regulations of his school, that's pointless and sounds like it would devolve into a tedious and boring argument.
I'm not trying to challenge. I certainly don't think you're lying. I'm requesting info, because your experience is wildly different from mine, and I'm trying to understand why. I followed your link to see if your local schools were massively infected and didn't see it in the data, so I was trying to figure out the discrepancy. We've just hit the peak of community transmission in my town, and yet none of my kid's classmates are out, nor are any of their friends sick. You report that nearly half your grands' peers are out sick.

I feel like I'm living on a different planet from some of these reports. I've tongue-in-cheek referred to "Planet Heathen" (which a mod decided was too personal), but I really wonder where the difference in our experiences is coming from. I don't think my town is that much more healthy or wealthy than these other places. So why the difference? Is it greater restrictions elsewhere? More virus elsewhere? It doesn't seem that way, as metro Sacramento infection rate is 230/100,000 vs my locality which is 300+/100,000. Vaccination rates are similar. I just don't get it.

And I'm certainly not going to argue about how you feel. That would be tedious and boring. I was just curious.

Anyway, apologies for the interrogation. I hope your grandchild feels better soon!

Old 01-14-2022, 01:00 PM

Something the state must do soon is to set up a version of the National Guard for teachers. Very qualified subs who can be deployed for regions (generally more than one district) and in multiple types of schools (say, middle school and high school) as needed. They'd be on salary and maybe could work as in-class aides or remote instructors for students who have to stay home when not leading classrooms.

Side note: I haven't formally complained about anything lately. I prefer people work things out and this turn into a discussion that sometimes is beneficial.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:11 PM

In Los Angeles, the majority - probably the vast majority - of kids in public school are from lower-income families, who are more likely to be infected from outside campus. I know much less about other districts, though I'd expect almost all of them to be having some Omicron troubles now. My guess is Oakland is somewhat like LA in the poor-kids-schools thing.

Old 01-14-2022, 01:52 PM

19,221 posts, read 16,705,467 times
About the time you get all these security measures in place, Omnicron will have died out and either we'll have a new strain or none at all.

Maybe we need a new one because I'm not sure how some will handle living in a state where there's no threat. They've had two years of information feeding their brains with fear. It's a way of life now.

Old 01-14-2022, 03:06 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,785,247 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
It's not okay for me to get tripped up twice in a week by maybe objectively confusing articles, and it's even less for you to ever deliberately distort sources. Just stop that. In fact, stop thinking Delta is going away soon or that this situation would become good purely from that.
This country is too big and Omicron not moving fast enough (which sounds absurd) to fully knock Delta out and keep it out. (Except Hawaii.)
https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/o...150453732.html
Furthermore, having been unable to find data confirmation, I suspect articles are inaccurate and maybe because of the no-testing policy in South Africa, Delta has been prematurely declared gone there. It is not being called gone from any other country.
I wish this situation allowed living (normally) with COVID. It doesn't, and it's toxic to insist otherwise.
the last report I saw showed delta was just below 50% of the cases and Omicron just above. That was at the end of the year.

Can't find the link but I believe it was on NPR dated 12/28.

Old 01-14-2022, 04:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
About the time you get all these security measures in place, Omnicron will have died out and either we'll have a new strain or none at all.

Maybe we need a new one because I'm not sure how some will handle living in a state where there's no threat. They've had two years of information feeding their brains with fear. It's a way of life now.
If an asteroid strikes, I guess Omicron and new strains won't be here at the end of the year.

Any "security measures," excluding new vaccines, shouldn't target only Omicron. They should protect in whatever hard-to-predict circumstances will be present.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California