Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2022, 06:04 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
As did Berkeley Unified.

It's ideal for individual districts to make these calls. That's how it should've been all along and disallowing it was the root of a lot of discontent in places around the state at the height of the pandemic. Vaccines changed up the dynamic though, which is good. Yeah, it's not great to have to have a plan to reinstate things like an indoor mask order, but at least there's no "threat level" that triggers school closures. The last year or so has proven we can operate schools safely even when infections are high.

Last edited by joosoon; 05-24-2022 at 06:27 PM..

Old 05-24-2022, 06:23 PM

4,433 posts, read 2,453,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
"Let's do nothing" (except for mask mandates, which most of those people complain loudly about). That will work. Not. Travel is the easiest area to address.

"Addressing" things for the sole sake of just doing something works well too. Not.
All your babbling about air travel isn't going to change the fact that your fantasy restrictions and processing ideas are unnecessary. If there was a significant benefit to doing any of these things the way you think they should be done, it would be happening already. In reality, the absence of such things screams how pointless it would be to change that.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but look around and take note that policy makers have moved on from Spring 2020. Expecting things not to adapt to the current situation is both weird and naive. Even our own state government, one which was no stranger to strict policy making, has backed off completely and have said it's time to move to the next stage.

Old 05-24-2022, 07:10 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,882,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
"Addressing" things for the sole sake of just doing something works well too. Not.
All your babbling about air travel isn't going to change the fact that your fantasy restrictions and processing ideas are unnecessary. If there was a significant benefit to doing any of these things the way you think they should be done, it would be happening already. In reality, the absence of such things screams how pointless it would be to change that.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but look around and take note that policy makers have moved on from Spring 2020. Expecting things not to adapt to the current situation is both weird and naive. Even our own state government, one which was no stranger to strict policy making, has backed off completely and have said it's time to move to the next stage.
There has been almost no adaptation. It's a majority now pretending that the virus isn't rampant or is low-risk.

Furthermore, I've said many times the test-to-fly has been limited because there has been no test method that's very suited for that. I thought breath testing was closer than it is to a large rollout, but saliva testing for the masses probably will happen sooner rather than later (it's already at some public testing sites and labs, including somewhere in LA evidently), and detection dogs can be used for screening so that fewer travelers need to be formally tested.

Old 05-24-2022, 08:30 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
There has been almost no adaptation. It's a majority now pretending that the virus isn't rampant or is low-risk.

Furthermore, I've said many times the test-to-fly has been limited because there has been no test method that's very suited for that. I thought breath testing was closer than it is to a large rollout, but saliva testing for the masses probably will happen sooner rather than later (it's already at some public testing sites and labs, including somewhere in LA evidently), and detection dogs can be used for screening so that fewer travelers need to be formally tested.
That sets up airlines for major lawsuits from inevitable false positives. Even if the false positivity rate is 0.1% if you have thousands of passengers a day there will be issues. Some will sue over missing flights, and what do you do with a "positive" person anyway? They may not be able to go home.

Airlines already are aggressively lobbying hard to end any remaining restrictions as it leads to fights and reduced revenue. A relative of mine was actually on a flight when they repealed the mask mandate and they announced it over the loudspeaker mid-flight and lots of people clapped as a flight attendant walked by with a garbage bag for people to throw their masks in.

Also the CDC was blocked from making legal binding health orders. If appealed it will go to the even more conservative 11th circuit Court in Florida. When that fails, the last stop is the Supreme Court and they already struck down the CDCs eviction ban calling it government overreach.

Old 05-24-2022, 09:22 PM

So? A testing requirement is lawful, and the other issues can be worked through (so many ways to handle missed flights) or brushed past. Detecting infections is the right thing to do, and everyone eventually will benefit from a world with much less COVID-19.

Furthermore, as I said, the government would get tougher once it realized post-COVID problems are a big deal and the CDC just indicated that.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7121e1.htm

Also, I want to point out that significant swaths of people who engage in close-to-home recreational activities have to be tested regularly for work or school, whereas few people traveling need to do that except per airports, making it even more important to get right.

Old 05-25-2022, 01:25 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,564,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
That sets up airlines for major lawsuits from inevitable false positives. Even if the false positivity rate is 0.1% if you have thousands of passengers a day there will be issues. Some will sue over missing flights, and what do you do with a "positive" person anyway? They may not be able to go home.

Airlines already are aggressively lobbying hard to end any remaining restrictions as it leads to fights and reduced revenue. A relative of mine was actually on a flight when they repealed the mask mandate and they announced it over the loudspeaker mid-flight and lots of people clapped as a flight attendant walked by with a garbage bag for people to throw their masks in.

Also the CDC was blocked from making legal binding health orders. If appealed it will go to the even more conservative 11th circuit Court in Florida. When that fails, the last stop is the Supreme Court and they already struck down the CDCs eviction ban calling it government overreach.
My question would be if someone did come down with Covid on vacation, what would the majority do (especially those with limited funds)? Are they going to stay put and incur the cost on hotel bills, missing work, etc. Or do they just throw on a properly fitting N95 and fly anyway?

Old 05-25-2022, 06:59 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
So? A testing requirement is lawful, and the other issues can be worked through (so many ways to handle missed flights) or brushed past. Detecting infections is the right thing to do, and everyone eventually will benefit from a world with much less COVID-19.

Furthermore, as I said, the government would get tougher once it realized post-COVID problems are a big deal and the CDC just indicated that.
https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/wr/mm7121e1.htm

Also, I want to point out that significant swaths of people who engage in close-to-home recreational activities have to be tested regularly for work or school, whereas few people traveling need to do that except per airports, making it even more important to get right.
You live in a very different world than most people.

You can talk all day long about what you thing should be, but not what is.

Masks arent even required for flights. Things are moving towards less regulation and the only exceptions are very small entities like very liberal school districts. There is no stopping the progress towards back to normal. If masks arent required for flying, what are the odds that a test to fly is going to be required? Its absolute zero! ITS NOT HAPPENING. Cry about it all you want but ITS NOT HAPPENING.

If you are that concerned, the conversation should be about what you can do to strengthen your immune system and you can personally wear a mask to your hearts content. You cant force anyone to do anything else and the government will not do it either because its political suicide at this point. Republicans and Democrats alike do NOT favor more restrictions. Hell, if school board members from SF can get recalled and this was a huge part of the issue, literally nowhere would it be popular.

Old 05-25-2022, 09:03 AM

Just like the government, I don't care what you say about this, it sounds very much like projection. "Progress back to normal"?! Real progress is ending these big waves of COVID. Testing isn't going away and probably will be strengthened in ways I've said. Most people don't fly enough to lose their heads over possibly increased hassles. By the way, work will be missed regardless by people who catch COVID at the wrong time during vacation, unless a workplace blithely doesn't test for the virus. Travel insurance or something will have to become a partial solution for individuals who get infected.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:19 AM

8,347 posts, read 5,502,221 times
Quote:
Just like the government, I don't care what you say about this, it sounds very much like projection. \.
The projection is coming from you, not from me. Youre frustrated that no politician wants to implement your ideas so you think if you say them enough, someone might give a $hit. But no one does. No one is going to implement your ideas so just get over it.

You are powerless. Just accept it.

Old 05-25-2022, 10:29 AM

1,638 posts, read 1,109,938 times
Quote:
Just like the government, I don't care what you say about this, it sounds very much like projection. "Progress back to normal"?! Real progress is ending these big waves of COVID. Testing isn't going away and probably will be strengthened in ways I've said. Most people don't fly enough to lose their heads over possibly increased hassles. By the way, work will be missed regardless by people who catch COVID at the wrong time during vacation, unless a workplace blithely doesn't test for the virus. Travel insurance or something will have to become a partial solution for individuals who get infected.

Instead of arguing I might try to be helpful. I assume you're probably retired but have you looked into chartering a private plane or boat with some friends? You could split the cost and "test to fly" and go somewhere wonderful internationally where you can stay outdoors. Your risk of covid would be extremely low and you could still travel.

I wouldn't be surprised if commercial airlines reinstate masks briefly this winter, but this is mostly over on that front. And yes with the 1 day "testing requirement" for international flights theres an unbelievable amount of fraud on the testing (and airlines are lobbying very hard to end this).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California