Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2022, 05:03 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,885,622 times

Advertisements

"Long COVID" work absences
https://www.yahoo.com/news/long-covi...202907050.html

I'd like to see an estimate for California and to know whether the areas with that correlate strongly with how strong local outbreaks have been.

Old 01-16-2022, 06:20 PM

26,739 posts, read 26,834,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Out of curiosity, were there any other health issues with these children because it does seem many of these deaths are attributed to other underlying health issues. Still very sad for the parents to lose a child to this.
This article says: "The child, who was less than a year old, was taken to a Riverside County hospital after becoming ill and died, the Riverside University Health System-Public Health said in a release.

The child’s gender, name or city of residence were not disclosed, and officials said it was unclear if the infant had any underlying health issues.

Riverside County officials said pediatric COVID hospitalizations made up 4.2% of those hospitalized with COVID last month compared to 2.1% in the months before."

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...from-the-virus

I also read that health officials reported that younger children may be at higher risk of severe illness with COVID-19 than older children, due to their immature immune systems and smaller airways, which make them more likely to develop breathing issues with respiratory virus infections.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:33 PM

4,323 posts, read 6,286,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
The above is a good example of how and where (the bolded part) our views diverge.
How do you know any of that is true? Where is this categorical blame even coming from? You just sort of wail away at phantom enemies sometimes. I don't get it because I sense you're a reasonable person otherwise.
So, you're saying it's ok to be completely tone deaf for other's suffering while still being a good Christian? I'm arguing it's unacceptable. How is not having compassion making someone a reasonable person? It's the other way around.

Those who know me understand that I'm a very reasonable kind/giving person. For years, I always set politics aside and judged someone for their character. But, when I see people using their politics to be evil or at the very least display cognitive dissonance, that's where I draw the line. Any reasonable person would do the same.

Old 01-16-2022, 09:59 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
So, you're saying it's ok to be completely tone deaf for other's suffering while still being a good Christian? I'm arguing it's unacceptable. How is not having compassion making someone a reasonable person? It's the other way around.

Those who know me understand that I'm a very reasonable kind/giving person. For years, I always set politics aside and judged someone for their character. But, when I see people using their politics to be evil or at the very least display cognitive dissonance, that's where I draw the line. Any reasonable person would do the same.

But you are okay with people suffering from high crime and extremely lax policies towards actual criminals (people who assault innocent bystanders on the street under the name of "social justice aka BLM" rather than just people who walk into stores without masks). Now, THAT'S cogntive dissonance: supporting harsh Covid restrictions and punishing low risk productive people trying to run their businesses and have their normal social needs met while having release without bail policies for violent criminals as reparations for something that happened 200 years ago. The police are arresting literal 2 year old toddlers for not keeping their masks on airplanes while being forced to ignore violent crime from certain protected groups out of the fear of civil unrest if they try to do anything about it. Covid restrictions won't work unless you can enforce the law on all groups equally like you can in societies like Japan and Singapore. We have too many exempt groups to even try to enforce Covid restrictions in a meaningful way so why force the productive law abiding class who are in the prime of their life to live with Covid restrictions while being lax on crime the non-law abiding class? In those countries that have very strict enforcement of Covid rules, every BLM "protester" would have been arrested and punished harshly just for gathering, let alone rioting, while our government endorsed them.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
But you are okay with people suffering from high crime and extremely lax policies towards actual criminals (people who assault innocent bystanders on the street under the name of "social justice aka BLM" rather than just people who walk into stores without masks).
Your infatuation with BLM and constant usage of the word "thugs" makes me think you're actually racist.

Whether or not this is true, I never said I was ok with violence. I said I support the cause of police brutality and support their right to protest. If you want to misconstrue my words and interpret them as me condoning violent acts, go ahead, but you're 100% wrong.

Old 01-16-2022, 10:23 PM

2,540 posts, read 1,034,813 times
Quote:
Your infatuation with BLM and constant usage of the word "thugs" makes me think you're actually racist.

Whether or not this is true, I never said I was ok with violence. I said I support the cause of police brutality and support their right to protest. If you want to misconstrue my words and interpret them as me condoning violent acts, go ahead, but you're 100% wrong.

I am person of color, and therefore I can't be racist according to the leftist mantra. I am also a fan of Candace Owens and Larry Elder who are highly respectable African Americans. But in your ideal world of harsh Covid restrictions and enforcing them, think about how China or even New Zealand would have handled those BLM protesters just for gathering in groups.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:26 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
So, you're saying it's ok to be completely tone deaf for other's suffering while still being a good Christian?

No. I'm not even engaging your red herring, rather I'm pointing out your frequent insertion of them into your statements. Maybe you don't even realize you do it. In this case, your tangent is a diatribe against Christians and organized religion that you assign to "these folks" you don't particularly like. But who are "these folks" in the context of the conversation and where did any of it come from in the first place?

Look at what you wrote:

Quote:
Isn't it amazing that people can be so callous as to not care at all about high numbers of deaths of innocent people, if it means such minor inconveniences as wearing masks, getting vaccinated and not gathering in large crowds? These are the same folks that call themselves Christians. This hypocrisy is why I don't subscribe to organized religion.

The post you responded to had nothing to do with Christians, etc.
That's called tilting at windmills.

Old 01-17-2022, 09:33 AM

4,433 posts, read 2,455,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I also read that health officials reported that younger children may be at higher risk of severe illness with COVID-19 than older children, due to their immature immune systems and smaller airways, which make them more likely to develop breathing issues with respiratory virus infections.

Maybe, maybe not. Who knows anymore. Everything is just one big guess after the next, it seems.
What I find interesting about the above is how even that's a shift from initial thinking. Remember when this all started, the idea was that children weren't at as high of a risk of infection for some of the exact reasons above, particularly that they are simply little. Those smaller airways and even being lower to the ground out of the way of breath volume of adults towering above them, were thought to be reasons they were less susceptible.

Severe cases in children are still thankfully very rare. That's the one good thing we've had going for us all along.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThinkingOutsideTheBox View Post
I am person of color, and therefore I can't be racist according to the leftist mantra. I am also a fan of Candace Owens and Larry Elder who are highly respectable African Americans. But in your ideal world of harsh Covid restrictions and enforcing them, think about how China or even New Zealand would have handled those BLM protesters just for gathering in groups.
Love it how you say that due to your race, you can't be racist. Sorry, but that argument holds absolutely no merit. You don't understand their plight

So, because you follow a couple far right black people you think you can speak for that entire race? Obviously, Elder doesn't speak for the black community, given how poorly he did in the recall election.

Old 01-17-2022, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joosoon View Post
No. I'm not even engaging your red herring, rather I'm pointing out your frequent insertion of them into your statements. Maybe you don't even realize you do it. In this case, your tangent is a diatribe against Christians and organized religion that you assign to "these folks" you don't particularly like. But who are "these folks" in the context of the conversation and where did any of it come from in the first place?

Look at what you wrote:

The post you responded to had nothing to do with Christians, etc.
That's called tilting at windmills.
How does it not have anything to do with being a good Christian? Respect for your neighbor? Treat others how you'd like to be treated?

I'm saying that this blatant disregard for the community is a demonstration for non-Christian values. It's about being in it for yourself and not thinking about others. You may not see the correlation here but I sure do and I'm far from being alone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California