Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2022, 04:48 AM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stablegenius View Post
Heh,Just around the same times as me
For the shots, the booster, or other dates?

Old 04-01-2022, 07:37 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
viruses do tend to get milder over time
Debunking the idea viruses always evolve to become less virulent:
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunk...ry?id=82052581

Old 04-01-2022, 08:05 AM

26,721 posts, read 26,793,862 times
Most Californians still favor COVID-19 restrictions, including requirements to show proof of vaccination at large outdoor gatherings or to enter places like indoor restaurants and bars, a new survey suggests.

The findings from the Public Policy Institute of California, based on a poll conducted March 6-17 of almost 1,700 adults statewide, indicate continued overall support for the sort of health interventions that have been widely relaxed amid dwindling coronavirus cases and COVID-19 hospitalizations.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...e-requirements

Old 04-01-2022, 10:08 AM

50,255 posts, read 47,017,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadwarrior101 View Post
Using this logic, can you not say the same thing about those who claim that COVID is over, masks don't work, etc?
We can actually measure cases with testing. Even though we already know more are getting infected than tested because most don't get tested. What we cannot do is measure those that "might" have been infected, might have been saved by measures like masking. We do know that people with both vaccines and a booster, wearing a mask are still getting covid.

Which means that method isn't working. Not sure why a few, very few, are still hanging on to a measure we know does not help. Maybe or might. Just does not work.

Old 04-01-2022, 10:53 AM

35,037 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Debunking the idea viruses always evolve to become less virulent:
https://abcnews.go.com/Health/debunk...ry?id=82052581
The article considers only antibodies, not T-Cells. Further I agree that I should not have used "always" but the general trend is to lower virulence. Most circulating variants of influenza are mild descendants of the Spanish Flu, an 1879-80 pandemic, the Hong Kong Flu (1969) and others. It is a zig-zag line towards mildness but still a line or trend.

Old 04-01-2022, 12:05 PM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
A not-so-proven long-term trend that might not apply to coronaviruses or specific viruses that were never particularly fatal. I doubt there's a corresponding trend for contagiousness. I've said before that even the common cold would cause some social disruption if it spread like Omicron.

Also, to the most extreme anti-masker who wastes time arguing that masks can't possibly help and throwing in dubious assertions, I can at least provide one factual correction: there are tests that can detect antibodies specifically from infection.

Old 04-01-2022, 02:01 PM

3,068 posts, read 1,741,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbgusa View Post
For the shots, the booster, or other dates?
Yep, pretty damn close if I recall. My first shots were beginning and end of march and I got the booster in October sometime.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:27 PM

1,638 posts, read 1,108,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post
A not-so-proven long-term trend that might not apply to coronaviruses or specific viruses that were never particularly fatal. I doubt there's a corresponding trend for contagiousness. I've said before that even the common cold would cause some social disruption if it spread like Omicron.
The common cold is actually quite a bit more contagious than Omicron. There are roughly a billion colds in the US annually. Ultimately, 4 different viruses cause the common cold but if you only use coronaviruses you're looking at 200-300 million colds from coronaviruses annually in the US alone. This is way more than covid. There have been only around 500 million documented covid infections on the entire globe in over 2 years which is way less than with colds.

When the "common" cold was first introduced to Native Americans from the Europeans it basically behaved like SARS/MERS and wiped out a substantial portion of the population. After immunity developed in the survivors it also became like the "common cold" to them too after a while. It's likely the "Russian Flu" in 1890 was a pandemic strain of a coronavirus as well and milder variants of that still circulate today.

Old 04-02-2022, 02:04 AM

6,616 posts, read 4,878,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njbiodude View Post
The common cold is actually quite a bit more contagious than Omicron. There are roughly a billion colds in the US annually. Ultimately, 4 different viruses cause the common cold but if you only use coronaviruses you're looking at 200-300 million colds from coronaviruses annually in the US alone. This is way more than covid. There have been only around 500 million documented covid infections on the entire globe in over 2 years which is way less than with colds.

When the "common" cold was first introduced to Native Americans from the Europeans it basically behaved like SARS/MERS and wiped out a substantial portion of the population. After immunity developed in the survivors it also became like the "common cold" to them too after a while. It's likely the "Russian Flu" in 1890 was a pandemic strain of a coronavirus as well and milder variants of that still circulate today.
We don't have the 'option' of wiping out people at high risk of COVID-19 to select for natural resistance. It's more likely that happened than much immunity developed. And I think it was smallpox - intentionally via blankets - more so than other diseases Native Americans hadn't been exposed to.

Furthermore, no, I don't believe that "the common cold is actually quite a bit more contagious than Omicron." I've found mixed statements about whether it is very contagious and none supporting that direct comparison, plus no stories of infecting for example almost entire nursing homes. Moreover, there is no vaccine for the common cold and most people don't limit their activities much for more than a few days due to the common cold (let alone die and dead-end their copies of the virus) - hence, of course so far its activity has been higher than Omicron's.

I've said multiple times that immunity to infection developed post-Omicron almost definitely is short-lived, plus it's far from certain it trains T-cells to easily spot and limit the severity of future COVID infections.

In effect, much of the population is now stupidly daring Omicron to prove its strength.

Old 04-02-2022, 04:35 AM

995 posts, read 509,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodheathen View Post

I've said multiple times that immunity to infection developed post-Omicron almost definitely is short-lived, plus it's far from certain it trains T-cells to easily spot and limit the severity of future COVID infections.

In effect, much of the population is now stupidly daring Omicron to prove its strength.
If what you're saying is true, why are cases scraping the bottom at less than 30k cases a day? Hospitalization is at its lowest in the entire pandemic.

With 35% of the country not yet vaccinated, you gotta chalk this up to natural immunity - if it waned as fast as some think, we'd be in a never-ending wave from here to eternity. Diseases simply don't work that way - otherwise, humanity would have gone extinct just as soon as we emerged from the African savannah.

My take on this is to let nature run its course - vaccines might help in the short run, but we all have to shake hands with the virus going forward, whether we want to or not.

Me, I've flouted the CDC protocol since mid-April of 2020 (when I realized that the virus is the Borg - resistance is futile) and have I gotten covid? Not that I know of...lol. I chose to take on the virus on my onw terms, and so far, the score is Me - 1, Virus - 0.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California