Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 06:16 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Understood. It’s all good, just putting things in context. Anyways, it’s irresponsible journalism to throw something out there like that without knowing all the facts, but when has journalism been responsible?
I think that there are some ethical, hardworking journalists out there--and they're probably laboring as many hours as grocery store employees right now--to try to get facts to the public. But you're right; there's some shady journalism out there, e.g. TMZ, etc, and all they seem to want is the hyped up story for revenue's sake.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:35 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I think that there are some ethical, hardworking journalists out there--and they're probably laboring as many hours as grocery store employees right now--to try to get facts to the public. But you're right; there's some shady journalism out there, e.g. TMZ, etc, and all they seem to want is the hyped up story for revenue's sake.
I said this before...I tried to find news on the Democratic primaries a week ago or so and 98% of the stories on a news website was Corona. I had to search to find what I wanted. I understand people are concerned but there are other things going on in the world.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:37 PM

807 posts, read 897,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finper View Post
Those numbers are still extremely low. 90 people hospitalized out of 18 million residents of LA. I know there are a lot of sheep in CA but people are going to start doing the math and come to their senses. No way can they keep this quarantine going for weeks on end and ruining peoples lives when other states are going back to normal.
If CA people are sheep, isn't that precisely why they will be able to "keep the quarantine going for weeks on end and ruining peoples lives when other states are back to normal?"

I know there's supposed to be two knocks on California there but the contradiction during the delivery sort of broke it.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:05 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I'm never able to read any of the articles from the LA Times. I don't subscribe so all I get is a big sign on the page telling me if I want to read it, I have to subscribe and most likely pay a fee. I'll pass
A couple of weeks ago when we were still working, the route person didn't deliver the paper before I had to leave home, so I stopped by a convenience store on the way to work. The newspaper cost $3.25. What? I couldn't believe it. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling the clerk that back in my day, sonny, papers cost a dime!

Old 03-24-2020, 07:13 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
A couple of weeks ago when we were still working, the route person didn't deliver the paper before I had to leave home, so I stopped by a convenience store on the way to work. The newspaper cost $3.25. What? I couldn't believe it. I had to bite my tongue to keep from telling the clerk that back in my day, sonny, papers cost a dime!
Yeah, everything cost less when we were younger.

Old 03-24-2020, 07:39 PM

1,570 posts, read 1,379,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by looker009 View Post
Turn off Java script or do (. /) after Com
Hey thanks, that works! Just put a dot after com and before the / and the article can be read. Cool.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:47 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times

Old 03-24-2020, 08:50 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,657,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I just read that, wow I wonder if the virus has mutated or what? That's scary.
Actually, it could be that we have a whole lot of people living down here who don't know how to socially separate. Over the weekend, there were news stories about large numbers of people aggregating in public despite the warnings to not do so.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:56 PM

42,845 posts, read 26,259,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
They’re also incomplete. It’s one thing if it’s a healthy person under 18. It’s quite another if it’s a minor with underlying health issues.

Let’s say some equipment at a certain factory malfunctioned and caused metal shavings in cans of food, but it was limited to a certain type of food and a certain lot number. It would be factual to say “cans of food have metal shavings.” It would also be misleading and incomplete.

It would have been better if all information was given before just throwing it out there. Something like “a healthy person under 18 died from the virus” or “a minor with asthma and diabetes died of the virus”.

As is, it’s incomplete and misleading. It could be someone healthy. It could also be a premature baby in an incubator.
From the NY Times:
Quote:
The teenage victim was from Lancaster, Calif., officials said. They did not provide any more details about whether the person had underlying health conditions.

While the risk of dying is significantly higher in older people, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention data on nearly 2,500 of the first recorded cases in the United States has shown that younger adults made up a significant portion of coronavirus hospitalizations.

Children are also at risk. In Georgia, a 12-year-old girl who has Covid-19, the disease caused by the coronavirus, was placed on a ventilator this week. Officials at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta, where she is in stable condition, said the girl remained in isolation.

In a Facebook post, the girl’s cousin Justin Anthony wrote that the girl did not have any underlying health issues and that she had initially received a diagnosis of pneumonia. “For those of you that think that kids can’t get Covid-19 … Think Again!!!” https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/24/u...ath-child.html

Old 03-24-2020, 08:56 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,141,328 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
Actually, it could be that we have a whole lot of people living down here who don't know how to socially separate. Over the weekend, there were news stories about large numbers of people aggregating in public despite the warnings to not do so.
I was one of those that refused to do what government told me I must do
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California