Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2020, 04:19 PM

6,675 posts, read 4,276,005 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I just read that, wow I wonder if the virus has mutated or what? That's scary.
Maybe and maybe not. The bolded statement was incomplete and a bit misleading. The full article I read said they didn’t divulge if the minor had an underlying condition or not. Until that’s known, it’s hard to tell.

On the other hand, did you see the kid on spring break that said “if I get Corona, I get Corona.”

Old 03-24-2020, 04:28 PM

19,206 posts, read 16,689,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
Maybe and maybe not. The bolded statement was incomplete and a bit misleading. The full article I read said they didn’t divulge if the minor had an underlying condition or not. Until that’s known, it’s hard to tell.

On the other hand, did you see the kid on spring break that said “if I get Corona, I get Corona.

I saw that young man and thought how naive he is. Reports are several of those youngsters celebrating in Florida have now come down with the virus. I hope he wasn't one of them and then went home to spread it through his family. Trouble is with young people, they think they're invincible.

I'm never able to read any of the articles from the LA Times. I don't subscribe so all I get is a big sign on the page telling me if I want to read it, I have to subscribe and most likely pay a fee. I'll pass

Old 03-24-2020, 04:40 PM

4,169 posts, read 2,140,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
I saw that young man and thought how naive he is. Reports are several of those youngsters celebrating in Florida have now come down with the virus. I hope he wasn't one of them and then went home to spread it through his family. Trouble is with young people, they think they're invincible.

I'm never able to read any of the articles from the LA Times. I don't subscribe so all I get is a big sign on the page telling me if I want to read it, I have to subscribe and most likely pay a fee. I'll pass
Turn off Java script or do (. /) after Com

Last edited by looker009; 03-24-2020 at 04:51 PM..

Old 03-24-2020, 04:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 986,872 times
Quote:

On the other hand, did you see the kid on spring break that said “if I get Corona, I get Corona.”

You'd think health officials would want to get that information out, especially if there was an underlying condition as not to have the public "panic." Wait, what am I saying, that would be too logical. Here's another article I found because I've reached my limit on the LA Times, just like Mars.

It was not immediately clear if the person under 18 had a preexisting condition. LA county health officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

https://www.businessinsider.com/unde...angeles-2020-3

Old 03-24-2020, 04:44 PM

26,721 posts, read 26,798,919 times
Quote:
The bolded statement was incomplete and a bit misleading.
What's misleading about the bolded statements? They are both true and factual: L.A. County did confirm four more deaths, and the deaths included an individual under the age of 18.

Old 03-24-2020, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TR95 View Post
You'd think health officials would want to get that information out, especially if there was an underlying condition as not to have the public "panic." Wait, what am I saying, that would be too logical.
It's probably much more complex for this data to be analyzed than we realize.

Experts have long said that older people are more susceptible to the virus and that young people in general are less likely to contract the illness. But health officials said Tuesday the death underscores the threat that coronavirus poses to the entire population.

“This is a devastating reminder that COVID-19 affects people of all ages,” L.A. County Public Health Department Director Barbara Ferrer said.

The Health Department was working to confirm how the minor contracted the virus and whether any underlying health issues exacerbated the illness. The agency also is also working to confirm whether the case marks the first such death of a minor linked to coronavirus in the country, but cases are not always broken down by age, said Tim Gilman, a representative for the department.

One possible reason why babies, toddlers and young children have not been critically threatened is because of their immature immune systems. An undeveloped immune system might prevent the body from triggering inflammation severe enough to result in pneumonia, septic shock or organ failure.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...onavirus-death

Old 03-24-2020, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
What's misleading about the bolded statements? They are both true and factual: L.A. County did confirm four more deaths, and the deaths included an individual under the age of 18.
They’re also incomplete. It’s one thing if it’s a healthy person under 18. It’s quite another if it’s a minor with underlying health issues.

Let’s say some equipment at a certain factory malfunctioned and caused metal shavings in cans of food, but it was limited to a certain type of food and a certain lot number. It would be factual to say “cans of food have metal shavings.” It would also be misleading and incomplete.

It would have been better if all information was given before just throwing it out there. Something like “a healthy person under 18 died from the virus” or “a minor with asthma and diabetes died of the virus”.

As is, it’s incomplete and misleading. It could be someone healthy. It could also be a premature baby in an incubator.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:03 PM

Quote:
They’re also incomplete.

It would have been better if all information was given before just throwing it out there.
It's against the TOS to post the entire article. That's why the link is provided.

Old 03-24-2020, 06:08 PM

Quote:
It's against the TOS to post the entire article. That's why the link is provided.
Understood. It’s all good, just putting things in context. Anyways, it’s irresponsible journalism to throw something out there like that without knowing all the facts, but when has journalism been responsible?

Old 03-24-2020, 06:15 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,813,882 times
Quote:
It's probably much more complex for this data to be analyzed than we realize.

Experts have long said that older people are more susceptible to the virus and that young people in general are less likely to contract the illness. But health officials said Tuesday the death underscores the threat that coronavirus poses to the entire population.

“This is a devastating reminder that COVID-19 affects people of all ages,” L.A. County Public Health Department Director Barbara Ferrer said.

The Health Department was working to confirm how the minor contracted the virus and whether any underlying health issues exacerbated the illness. The agency also is also working to confirm whether the case marks the first such death of a minor linked to coronavirus in the country, but cases are not always broken down by age, said Tim Gilman, a representative for the department.

One possible reason why babies, toddlers and young children have not been critically threatened is because of their immature immune systems. An undeveloped immune system might prevent the body from triggering inflammation severe enough to result in pneumonia, septic shock or organ failure.

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...onavirus-death

I am not able to read the article.....because, I don't have a subscription and hence only allowed to read one article a day. I do subscribe to SF Chronicle & NYT. There is a case of a 12 year old girl back east, who ended up ICU from being infected with covid-19. Supposedly she has no underlying health conditions.

The 12 year girl back east & the LA case may be out-liners......who knows. My understanding is there is more then one strain of the covid -19 going around.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/22/us/ge...zed/index.html
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California