Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2020, 08:53 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tulemutt View Post
Not sure what either of you two have read about Whitmer’s shut down orders that I haven’t read - and neither of you two strike me as whack-a-doodle FOX News addicts - so I’m curious. From what I’ve read, Michigan is the nation’s 3rd hardest hit region behind NY / NJ in CV cases and not seeing any flattening of the acceleration curve yet. And the stay-at-home orders appear to be no different than a number of other severely affected areas of the country and world.

Because Whitmer has been outspoken in response to Trump’s irresponsibilities and lies and threats, she has gained a high public profile - and a serious consideration as a VP pick for Biden to run against Trump. There has probably never been such an important VP nomination upcoming in the history of our nation. The result of these factors has been a powerful misinformation and negative PR campaign from Trump’s team attacking Whitmer lest she become an anti-Trump dynamic. The anti-Whitmer protests are being organized and run by these conservative Trump forces.

The Trump team campaign is strong and pervasive and cleverly / expertly spreading their attack into MSM as well as extremist media.

If either of you can provide detail of ways Whitmer is off the rails compared to other efforts to lockdown a hotspot, I’d be interested to learn more. Crap like “she’s not allowing sales of American flags”, and “she’s not allowing sales of child car seats so people can take grandkids to see grandparents” ... um, obviously are already being debunked. I mean past that level of nonsense. Thanks.
I have a friend there and there’s a lot of confusion about their order. There are two things that make me question her tactics. The order that you can’t visit family and what she considers essential and non essential.

Essential is alcohol, marijuana (I know, I know), and lotto (lotto is essential ?), but you can’t buy any home improvement (you can’t paint or garden) items. Out is staters can go to summer cabins, but residents can’t.

I didn’t hear about the American flag thing. I do see the liberal vs conservative issue there, but that’s not what I’m talking about. The biggest thing is the family issue.

If the state told me I couldn’t go visit my daughter, I’m going anyways.

Old 04-14-2020, 09:09 AM

21,737 posts, read 16,350,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike930 View Post
I have a friend there and there’s a lot of confusion about their order. There are two things that make me question her tactics. The order that you can’t visit family and what she considers essential and non essential.

Essential is alcohol, marijuana (I know, I know), and lotto (lotto is essential ?), but you can’t buy any home improvement (you can’t paint or garden) items. Out is staters can go to summer cabins, but residents can’t.

I didn’t hear about the American flag thing. I do see the liberal vs conservative issue there, but that’s not what I’m talking about. The biggest thing is the family issue.

If the state told me I couldn’t go visit my daughter, I’m going anyways.
I grew up in Minnesota ... and sort of Michigan, because ½ my family’s from there and it’s where we shuttled back and forth. That said, it was a couple hundred years before Whitmer when I was a kid . I still have cousins there, in Detroit, one of whom I speak with on and off each year. We’re overdue for a call. I think I might try him today and get a report. Get back to youse guys then

Oh, and, Lotto tickets are essential IF you get the right numbers!

Old 04-14-2020, 09:17 AM

6,675 posts, read 4,278,056 times
Quote:
I grew up in Minnesota ... and sort of Michigan, because ½ my family’s from there and it’s where we shuttled back and forth. That said, it was a couple hundred years before Whitmer when I was a kid . I still have cousins there, in Detroit, one of whom I speak with on and off each year. We’re overdue for a call. I think I might try him today and get a report. Get back to youse guys then

Oh, and, Lotto tickets are essential IF you get the right numbers!
There is a lot of confusion. Once I heard from my friend, I tried to get some information online and it’s pretty conflicting.

And the only way to get the numbers right on lotto is to practice, right?

I’m curious about what your family has to say. Meanwhile, I’ll be denying the virus and looking into Alabama...

Old 04-14-2020, 09:54 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Well, that explains why you would refer to me as a whack-a-doodle FOX News addict. First, I don't have cable so I can't watch that channel but even if I did and chose to, I'm still allowed to form my own opinions on current matters even if they disagree with yours. I don't need TV news to tell me what's happening in other places in the country. I get good intel from people who actually live there. And second, you're not the boss of me so I will watch whatever I want, whenever I want.

Old 04-14-2020, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Well, that explains why you would refer to me as a whack-a-doodle FOX News addict. First, I don't have cable so I can't watch that channel but even if I did and chose to, I'm still allowed to form my own opinions on current matters even if they disagree with yours. I don't need TV news to tell me what's happening in other places in the country. I get good intel from people who actually live there. And second, you're not the boss of me so I will watch whatever I want, whenever I want.
Yo Mars ... I wrote “you DON’T strike me as a whack-a-doodle FOX News addict” ... because I know you’re not. And that’s why I am interested to hear what you have read that differs from what I’ve seen that is in line with what other states / countries under severe strain have done.

Old 04-14-2020, 11:07 AM

19,208 posts, read 16,696,914 times
Quote:
Yo Mars ... I wrote “you DON’T strike me as a whack-a-doodle FOX News addict” ... because I know you’re not. And that’s why I am interested to hear what you have read that differs from what I’ve seen that is in line with what other states / countries under severe strain have done.
Okay, saying I don't strike you as blah blah blah is a subtle insult, as if anything I say about anything is either left or right thinking. I don't roll that way. I'm an independent thinker and voter. There's a lot of crap out there in news articles and they flow back and forth, based on which newspaper rag is writing it. We live in a very volatile social climate right now. I don't know if it's a temporary thing or if this is what life will be like, from now on. I find that in the real world with living breathing humans, there isn't the animosity and anger as there is here in the virtual one. We're all different, coming from different backgrounds and cultures and yes, political beliefs.

I am a bit more conservative, as you already know, so I'm not keen on a lot of government control but I will, for the sake of everyone's health, go along with all of it because that's what I do. But, as I stated personally, I will never let any government, whether it's here in CA or any state, tell me I can't see my family. And, that's exactly what that governor is doing in Michigan. This has been verified to me by someone living with that very order. She's heartbroken.

So, believe what you will. I don't give a fig. And, after years of being here, you should know by now I'm not the type to throw around conspiracy tales. That said, just chill a little. I wasn't attacking your home state or your lovely relatives. I was speaking for a couple of people who are living there and they share with me what life is like right now, as I do with them. Have a good Tuesday.

I'm happier than a tick on a dog right now. A package I wasn't expecting for another week is being delivered today. I have to prepare right now by donning my hazmat suit and face shield so I can be ready to receive the package and then let it sit in the garage for 24 hours. (j/k about the hazmat suit)

Old 04-14-2020, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HereOnMars View Post
Okay, saying I don't strike you as blah blah blah is a subtle insult, as if anything I say about anything is either left or right thinking. I don't roll that way. I'm an independent thinker and voter. There's a lot of crap out there in news articles and they flow back and forth, based on which newspaper rag is writing it. We live in a very volatile social climate right now. I don't know if it's a temporary thing or if this is what life will be like, from now on. I find that in the real world with living breathing humans, there isn't the animosity and anger as there is here in the virtual one. We're all different, coming from different backgrounds and cultures and yes, political beliefs.

I am a bit more conservative, as you already know, so I'm not keen on a lot of government control but I will, for the sake of everyone's health, go along with all of it because that's what I do. But, as I stated personally, I will never let any government, whether it's here in CA or any state, tell me I can't see my family. And, that's exactly what that governor is doing in Michigan. This has been verified to me by someone living with that very order. She's heartbroken.

So, believe what you will. I don't give a fig. And, after years of being here, you should know by now I'm not the type to throw around conspiracy tales. That said, just chill a little. I wasn't attacking your home state or your lovely relatives. I was speaking for a couple of people who are living there and they share with me what life is like right now, as I do with them. Have a good Tuesday.

I'm happier than a tick on a dog right now. A package I wasn't expecting for another week is being delivered today. I have to prepare right now by donning my hazmat suit and face shield so I can be ready to receive the package and then let it sit in the garage for 24 hours. (j/k about the hazmat suit)
Well Mars, think what you will and take it however you want of course. Fact is I was throwing that as a compliment, not a subtle insult. I believe, and it seems, that Mike took it the way I intended and we subsequently had a couple chuckles and he fed me some of his reasoning ... and expressed interest in what my cousin in Michigan might report.

I didn’t feel any insult toward my mid-west roots. And none was intended at you or Mike either. I’m completely “chill” ... enjoying my social distancing existence just 100% fine

Old 04-14-2020, 12:05 PM

2,379 posts, read 1,815,179 times
Newsom is expected to announce the plan during his noon press conference today

Old 04-14-2020, 03:37 PM

13,583 posts, read 15,662,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkasf View Post
Newsom is expected to announce the plan during his noon press conference today
I missed it -- perchance did he say that an abundance of hair gel helps prevent the virus from festering on one's head? BTW, who's been cutting his hair -- I'm presuming his barber has arms that are at least six feet long. Or does he have one of those Flowbee things?

Old 04-14-2020, 03:54 PM

3,347 posts, read 2,311,269 times
I be curious whether the state can make private businesses to close on Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year, Good Friday and Easter. I know some states already do such as MA. Seems like a good idea to avoid the greediness. Maybe with exceptions on grocery markets until 4pm and restaurants serving holiday meals,And family run businesses with no outside hiring.

I feel that as with 9/11 things are unlikely to go back to normal for years. If not indefinitely.
The new normal should I say. I do feel the media is a great culprit I am disgusted at the way how they shame politicians who choose not to overstep their power and embrace police state tactics. I am normally no fan of Trump, however at least he got this right that he will not throw the rule of constitution of the US under the bus by declaring martial law nationwide. I know the progressive media had flamed some states’ officials mostly the not so progressive ones for not embracing police state like tactics. I am also glad Japanese officials are among the few in the world to not give in to the media interest pressure to throw the rule of law and Japanese’s people’s rights under the bus. There are much better ways as a role of a leader to handle it and others leaders around the US and world should learn from their example. Especially if you call yourself a constitutional republic Democracy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California