Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 09:57 AM

29,465 posts, read 14,635,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
That's funny stuff right there. I drove a 3/4 ton 4wd diesel pick up as a daily driver for at least 6-7 years. I originally needed it to haul snowmobiles in the winter and a boat in the summer. I eventually did not have to tow anymore but still drove the truck. Never had to worry about snow, ice or potholes, and sat high enough I could see thru traffic. Also got between 19-21 mpg ..not bad for something that made 330hp and 670 ft/lbs of torque (wasn't stock) and wieghed 6000 plus pounds.
What were you saying about pick ups again ?

I ended up selling that truck, but bought another.... an 01 4wd Ford Excursion. I don't tow but maybe once or twice a year but that station wagon is great on trips. Don't daily drive it since I do have a commuter car now. I couldn't imagine not having a big truck at all.. tried it for two years.. didn't make it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:04 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,833,505 times
Basically I changed from a large pickup to a van thinking at 66 I had little use for truck. Now I regret as its not the same and plan to buy a truck soon.really mis the open bed for carrying things and van does not make up for it.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:19 AM

13,887 posts, read 13,667,657 times
Quote:
I think people are mis-understanding the question. I get why people would buy one to haul a boat or if they live on a farm etc. The question was why would you want one if you don't use it for any of that and people do. It was as simple question, not an insult to truck owners.
What is the point of owning a pickup truck?

To get from Point A to Point B.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:02 AM

3,766 posts, read 4,101,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokerMunkee View Post
Ever been in a real truck? The middle console is 3x the size of any other vehicle. There is so much more room in a truck. Lot of big guys drive trucks for the extra room.

I never use my trunk or back seat. I guess you could say I'm hauling around a bunch of wasted space! lulz.

If guys wanted the extra room of a truck, they wouldn't buy one with a console three times the size of any other vehicle, or with a console at all. They would buy one with a comfortable bench seat and plenty of room to spread out. When I purchased my truck, I had to search far and wide for one with a bench seat. I shudder to think what the search for a truck with a comfortable bench seat would be like now.

Those trucks with wide consoles aren't real trucks; they are just yuppie status symbols and high-priced, glorified grocery getters.

Last edited by james777; 02-12-2014 at 11:26 AM..

Old 02-12-2014, 11:04 AM

6,664 posts, read 30,608,685 times
Quote:
What is the point of owning a pickup truck?
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?
Then we all have that ahole neighbor who always asks to borrow our truck because they need to move something.
I sent them down to home depot where they can rent one.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:08 AM

7,032 posts, read 14,478,763 times
They're great for people who need to haul things on a regular basis.

If you only need it on an occasional basis, you can rent one on Relayrides.com

And if you're considering downgrading to a more fuel efficient vehicle, you could consider renting your pickup out for extra cash and the convenience rather than selling it outright.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:29 AM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
I sent them down to home depot where they can rent one.

I didn't realize you could rent trucks from home depot. That further confirms my belief that owning a truck is extremely impractical. I visited Switzerland & didn't recall seeing a pickup the entire time (city or on farms). They even had villages where farmers lived where vehicles were not allowed. I saw some tractors on the farms, but on the roads it was mostly hatchbacks and multi purpose vehicles. Do they even sell Ford F 150s or Silverados in Europe? Many US carpenters use vans.
I'm conservative, but the US should tax the crap out of truck owners unless you can prove that you need one at least 2 to 3 times a month, or live a reasonable distance from a place where you can rent one, or need one for emergency reasons etc.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:40 AM

29,465 posts, read 14,635,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
If guys wanted the extra room of a truck, they wouldn't buy one with a console three times the size of any other vehicle, or with a console at all. They would buy one with a comfortable bench seat and plenty of room to spread out. When I purchased my truck, I had to search far and wide for one with a bench seat. I shudder to think what the search for a truck with a comfortable bench seat would be like now.

Those trucks with wide consoles aren't real trucks; they are just yuppie status symbols and high-priced, glorified grocery getters.

No center console ?!?!? No way.. where am I supposed to lean my elbow on ? Put my coffee ? Store all my junk ?

Old 02-12-2014, 11:41 AM

1,151 posts, read 2,037,030 times
Quote:

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Sometimes, it's a matter of what's available for what you can afford.
I needed a car one time, and there it was, a 1996 Nissan Pickup 4x4, 5-speed, for $2800 with only 77,000 miles on it. I kept it until the rust killed it. That thing was suitable for light-duty hauling, wasn't horrible on gas (roughly 21 mpg), and would go wherever I wanted to go, on or off pavement. It was an excellent and reliable, albeit very Spartan (crank windows, manual locks, no AC, manual hubs, etc), vehicle. I say this as someone who prefers a sedan over a truck.

Old 02-12-2014, 11:44 AM

4,268 posts, read 8,170,550 times
Because its their right as a "Murican!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive