Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 09:41 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to drive around in a compact car. Seriously, when I travel for work, I'm usually stuck with a "midsize" vehicle like a Toyota Corolla (which to me is a compact car, not a "midsize") and I can't stand being so low to the ground, not having any power to accelerate, having no room for anything, and generally being in a vehicle that is in no way fun to drive.

A compact car can be fun to drive, have superb cornering, and park in one of the two spaces that the truck is hogging.

Old 02-11-2014, 09:45 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,903,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to drive around in a compact car. Seriously, when I travel for work, I'm usually stuck with a "midsize" vehicle like a Toyota Corolla (which to me is a compact car, not a "midsize") and I can't stand being so low to the ground, not having any power to accelerate, having no room for anything, and generally being in a vehicle that is in no way fun to drive.

Can't argue too much with that. I guess it's the bed part that I was asking about. I have never owned a large pickup, so I don't know how much room they have, I'm sure when the vehicle is twice the size of a car, even if you don't use the bed, the inside is still huge.

And you don't have to buy a slow car...Trucks make a lot of noise, but they are rarely very fast.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM

9,659 posts, read 10,233,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
Can't argue too much with that. I guess it's the bed part that I was asking about. I have never owned a large pickup, so I don't know how much room they have, I'm sure when the vehicle is twice the size of a car, even if you don't use the bed, the inside is still huge.

And you don't have to buy a slow car...Trucks make a lot of noise, but they are rarely very fast.
Ever heard of SUVs? They are like trucks, but instead of the truck bed, they have seating space.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:06 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,563,927 times
Quote:
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Just because you don't drive/need a truck. For all you know that guy with the empty pick up bed is using his truck to tow a boat, RV, trailer etc. I don't get the big smoke stacks and belching tons of black smokeand I drive a diesel. Hell if you put it that way why the hell do people need a car that will hit 160+ MPH and have 450 hp. You don't NEED it.
I mean really we could all be driving glorious Trabants ( look it up its a fine automobile) since all a car really does is get you from a to b. All those power options aren't needed.

Old 02-11-2014, 10:10 PM

44,637 posts, read 61,653,458 times
Quote: What is the point of owning a pickup truck?

Real men drive trucks. Trucks are versatile vehicles. Women are attracted to trucks and their drivers. Trucks command the road. Trucks in the South, Southwest and West are the most popular vehicle around. Real men drive trucks. You can do most anything with a truck. Trucks sit high and can see the idiot drivers around them. Trucks are better to be in in an accident when one of those idiots does something stupid.
Did I mention real men drive trucks...

Old 02-11-2014, 10:12 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,088,247 times
Quote:
I didn't think about liking sitting up high over everything, guess that would be nice in heavy traffic at times.
ok

Old 02-11-2014, 11:49 PM

8,566 posts, read 10,989,435 times
Quote:

"And you don't have to buy a slow car...Trucks make a lot of noise, but they are rarely very fast".
Obviously you have never been behind the wheel of one of these.

For a stock truck, the R/T 5.9 is extremely fast.
Off the line it is quick, but above 30 mph, if I nail it, and I have many times, there isn't much on the road that can catch it.
I would agree that most pickups aren't fast, but this one is the exception.
Bob.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:20 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,972,302 times
We have an F-250 diesel and a F-150. I gave my car to my daughter and drive the 150 because I love it. It drives great and has plenty of room. I feel safer in my truck. I just don't like the little boxy cars on the road today. Actually you can't tell one manufacturer from another in the automobiles today. But you can recognize a Chevy Silverado, Ford, Ram, or Toyota Tundra.

Old 02-12-2014, 01:27 AM

15,293 posts, read 17,696,491 times
It might come as a surprise, but there are still men who work for a living. They build things, farm things, demolish things, haul things, and otherwise use a pickup. I farm 93 acres, and couldn't be without one, any more than I would be without an air compressor. Cars are for women and men who never get their hands dirty.

Old 02-12-2014, 02:18 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,774,511 times
Out in in states like Wyoming, Northern Arizona, Montana (my state), and numerous other Western States, a full size pickup is in almost every household.

Weather turns bad, with studded snow tires you can go about anywhere. Small cars are going to be hung up on snow, etc. Pickups go through. Nearly all are 4 wheel drive.

When we go shopping, it is a 100 mile round trip, so we take the pickup so if we want something too big to put in a sedan, we can bring it home (no delivery here).

On top of that, Pickups, etc., are considered the most dangerous cars on the road by some people. Dangerous for the person that runs into them with a small car, but you walk out of the pickup unhurt.

We have a Chevrolet Blazer, a F150 Ford Pickup with a custom topper, and a 2014 Ford Explorer (medium large SUV) with everything at our house. All of them are considered trucks.

The F150 gets 20 miles around town, and 24 miles per gallon on the highway. Overall 22. The other two vehicles do a little better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive