Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 02:34 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,059,853 times

Advertisements

Please keep in mind I know nothing about pickup trucks.

We recently purchased a horse for my daughter. Somewhere down the pike we need to purchase a two-horse trailer and a vehicle that can haul 2 horses and the trailer. We live in Virginia where it is often hilly (I won't insult westerners by saying it's mountainous!) Our barn manager says we need to purchase at least a 3/4 ton pickup to get the job done safely. So, which pickup truck would you recommend? Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2010, 02:41 PM

3,306 posts, read 12,218,162 times
Do you want gas or diesel? Could you get away with just rear wheel drive or do you need 4x4? Are these trailers typically 5th wheel, goosneck or regular frame hitch?

Old 07-23-2010, 02:46 PM

1,900 posts, read 5,904,309 times
Ford or GM is okay. Some people are leery of Dodge trucks' long-term durability. Some Ford diesels from a few years ago had durability issues. Toyota's Tundra may have enough towing power for your needs, too. Whether you want a gas engine or a diesel may make a difference in your decision. The only other thing I can think of to help is that the GMs usually sit a bit lower than a comparable Ford (and are said to get better fuel economy as well) and the height difference makes the GM's bed easier to load and unload. If you're a Ford man, a Ford does the job just fine (read up on the diesels, though) or if you prefer GM, nothing wrong with that, either.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:55 PM

2,497 posts, read 7,475,507 times
Ford or Toyota.

http://www.toyota.com/tundra/

http://www.fordvehicles.com/trucks/f150/

Not that GM or Dodge isn't good, this is just my own personal preference. The Nissan Titan is pretty worthy as well.

http://www.nissanusa.com/titan/

Old 07-23-2010, 03:05 PM

692 posts, read 3,141,616 times
GM ....... Get the 100,000 mile factory powertrain Warranty no extra charge included in the price.

If you buy used the remaining Warranty is transferable.

I agree with US66. The GM product sits lower for slightly easier access front and rear.

Old 07-23-2010, 03:06 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
How much do two horses in a trailer weigh? About 3,000 lbs for horses and 2,500 lbs for trailer?

There is no doubt a 3/4 ton truck could do this easily, but many half-tons today can easily tow 6,000-7,500 lbs.

Some questions:

- how often will this be used?
- budget?
- new or used?
- need 4WD?
- do you need to impress people with your truck?

If this is for occasional use (say once a month) I would look for a used 1/2 ton crew cab Ford or GM/Chevy with their bigger gasoline engines. I assume 4WD will be handy or required when pulling at least sometimes off road. The current generation Toyota Tundra is another alternative.

I assume these trailers have brakes - but you'll need to check.

A Suburban, Expedition, etc, would also work.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:53 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,419,089 times
A lot of 1/2 ton trucks today can tow up to 10,000 pounds. You don't need diesel or 3/4 ton.

Silverado, F150, Tundra...I'd skip the Dodge, but only because it's a Chrysler product, and they tend to be fairly shabby. I don't like the Tundra, but that's a personal preference.

I think the Titan tops out around 7800 pounds, which is probably pushing it.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:26 PM

12,083 posts, read 38,845,145 times
The real question is not if there are 1/2 ton pick-ups that can tow close to 10,000 pounds, but are there 1/2 ton trucks that can SAFELY tow close to 10,000 pounds. That answer is simply NO there isn't. A double horse trailer in hills is into the realm of 3/4 ton and above if you want to do it safely for those in the truck, horses in the trailer, and everybody else on the road. Just because a truck is "rated" to tow 8000 pounds or 10,000 pounds doesn't mean that it does it comfortably, or long term. Towing a horse trailer you can easily do it with a gas motor, but a diesel will give better fuel economy and has the power and torque right where you need it when towing.

Personally I like the 3/4 or 1 ton Ford's with the Powerstroke diesel. I would stay away from the 6.0 liter diesel Ford used for a few years. My brother has had real good luck with GM trucks (Both GMC and Chevy). Another tow vehicle to consider might be a 3/4 ton Chevy Suburban 4X4. Comfortable, can fit the entire family and still have room for goodies.

Old 07-23-2010, 07:18 PM

19,023 posts, read 25,959,017 times
Il'd choose diesel any day of the week and in one ton if money was no issue, That will do the job with power to spare and byou could get a bigger trailer with a tack room/bunk.

I wouldn't rule out a good Dodge either. I get to use and maintain myself a 1 ton Dodge with a cummings engine in it and it has a turbo. For the rig it is it is economical. This one is 4x4 and plows also has a dump bed. The draw back rightnow is fuel costs are high, but then diesel had nearly double the range gasoline does.

One thing I would do is add to the tail pipe to blow fumes away from any critters in any trailers. A vee nose trailer might help in that a lot. Typically these have a tach room storage way up front, then if it is fancy at all it has a bed room for people and storage for other gear, then there is the horses area. This keeps the horse out of any fumes well.

Trailering horse has it's draw backs too. You need to investigate that as a topic.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:38 PM

2,023 posts, read 5,311,641 times
I suggest not buying new cause like with housing there was and still is a bubble with new vehicle prices that should correct with time. I would get the gas engine over the diesel no doubt about it. Even though a half ton would work just fine in this application, its nice to have the additional hauling and towing ability along with the bigger brakes and full floating rear axle that many 3/4 ton and larger pickups have.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive