Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2011, 12:52 PM

880 posts, read 1,800,584 times

Advertisements

With news that the Ford Ranger and the Dodge Dakota are moving to a mid size truck next year and Toyota and Nissan having already stopped making their pickup tucks there are now next to zero pickups left. They only pickup truck that I can think of that still exists is the Chevy S10.

Why is the pickup truck going extinct? They serve as a useful tool that fills a certain niche unlike anything else. If you don't need 4 wheel drive and want something that gets good gas mileage with a 6ft bed for a reasonable price, a pickup is the perfect fit. A pickup is something to just drive around town and lug some wood or furniture or make a dump run with, but today's choices only offer overpriced, over sized, gas guzzling mid size trucks.

If I were Honda, I would come out with a small 4 cylinder pick up truck and fill the void in the pickup market, thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2011, 01:00 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,562,225 times
Where do you get your info from? Toyota and Nissan are still making pickups and will be for a very long time. The Tacoma is the #1 selling mid-sized on the market. The Ford Ranger is gone from the US market for now. The new one will only be available overseas. Don't know anything about the Dodge. The Chevy doesn't make the S10 and hasn't in many years. The pickup is the Colorado which is mediocre at best.

Old 11-05-2011, 01:03 PM

1,392 posts, read 2,861,004 times
October 2011 Top 10 Pickup Truck Sales - PickupTrucks.com News

Gee wiz dude look at the sales figures, yep pickups are outselling cars for crying out loud.

Ah well, best catch up on the news

The economy may be in the tank, but guess folksw figure they can always live in there truck.

Old 11-05-2011, 02:17 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post
With news that the Ford Ranger and the Dodge Dakota are moving to a mid size truck next year and Toyota and Nissan having already stopped making their pickup tucks there are now next to zero pickups left. They only pickup truck that I can think of that still exists is the Chevy S10.

Why is the pickup truck going extinct? They serve as a useful tool that fills a certain niche unlike anything else. If you don't need 4 wheel drive and want something that gets good gas mileage with a 6ft bed for a reasonable price, a pickup is the perfect fit. A pickup is something to just drive around town and lug some wood or furniture or make a dump run with, but today's choices only offer overpriced, over sized, gas guzzling mid size trucks.

If I were Honda, I would come out with a small 4 cylinder pick up truck and fill the void in the pickup market, thoughts?
I hear station wagons with fake wood paneling might be going out of favor as well as the El Camino and Ranchero.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:09 PM

8,402 posts, read 24,234,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hwy phantom View Post

Because V6 powered V6 small pickups have almost reached full size trucks in price and (low) MPG, so there's hardly any reason to buy a small truck.

Truck sizing has become like pizza sizing. I rent full size pickups for work, and drive my '95 F150 to the rental place. New full size trucks absolutely dwarf mine, (especially the Toyota) both inside and out. When I took my truck to a Ford dealer for a recall, I sat in a new Ranger. It was significantly larger than the '87 I bought new. So the old small doesn't exist, the new small is the old medium, and the old large is like a new medium. But the new large is actually huge, so I don't know how that fits in.

As an aside Enterprise told me that they no longer rent mid size trucks, because no one really wanted them any more.

I think there is still a market for a basic but nice 4 cylinder small truck. But it has to be priced properly. When they climb past $20K, there's no point in buying one. There was another thread on this.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:23 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,732 posts, read 58,079,686 times
Have you not heard? America has 'Upsized' ~ Obesity gone wild!

(of course I have never thought of a Ranger, an S-10, or even a Dakota as a pickup TRUCK)

Maybe a pickup 'car'.

Believe me there will be no 'death of pickups in USA', been to Wyoming lately

Old 11-05-2011, 03:26 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,384,306 times
I agree. If smaller ones are going out, it's because of pricing. Who the heck wants to pay more than $20k for one of those things?

Old 11-05-2011, 03:37 PM

15,971 posts, read 9,388,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post

Truck sizing has become like pizza sizing. I rent full size pickups for work, and drive my '95 F150 to the rental place. New full size trucks absolutely dwarf mine, (especially the Toyota) both inside and out. When I took my truck to a Ford dealer for a recall, I sat in a new Ranger. It was significantly larger than the '87 I bought new. So the old small doesn't exist, the new small is the old medium, and the old large is like a new medium. But the new large is actually huge, so I don't know how that fits in.
Its amazing how small the small trucks were when they first came out. The Datsun, Chevy Luv, Ford Courier and the Mazda. I don't think the engines reached 2 litres.

Old 11-05-2011, 03:52 PM

34,092 posts, read 83,000,140 times
I miss the little 86 1/2 Nissan I used to have.
First of the hardbodies.

Couldn't lay sheet goods in the bed... but otherwise it was perfectly sized.

Old 11-05-2011, 04:01 PM

4,153 posts, read 9,269,755 times
Death of the Pickup truck would bring America to a crawling halt. If anything, smaller pickup trucks are loosing demand due to cost fast aprouching full size truck prices.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive