Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2010, 11:16 PM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
The real question is not if there are 1/2 ton pick-ups that can tow close to 10,000 pounds, but are there 1/2 ton trucks that can SAFELY tow close to 10,000 pounds. That answer is simply NO there isn't.

That's incorrect. The newer F150's and Silverado's are manufacturer-rated to over 10,000 pounds towing capacity with the right package.

In the Silverado's case, 10,700 pounds, and 11,300 with the F150.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2010, 05:26 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getmeoutofhere View Post
That's incorrect. The newer F150's and Silverado's are manufacturer-rated to over 10,000 pounds towing capacity with the right package.

In the Silverado's case, 10,700 pounds, and 11,300 with the F150.
read further. I said SAFELY tow that amount, not rated to tow that amount. You couldn't pay me enough money to drive either one of those 1/2 ton trucks pulling a 2 horse trailer up and down hills. And I LIKE both of those trucks.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:32 AM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
Thank you all for your help. We want to err on the side of safety as at some point, my daughter will be in charge of all of this. We would be buying a two or three year old vehicle that would be used to pull a straight load bumper pull trailer. It would used to haul maybe 2-3 xs/month. It would also be her car @ college.

Quick additional question--again forgive my ignorance--can someone give me a quick summary of why they prefer diesel over gas or vice versa?

Old 07-24-2010, 07:14 AM

12,083 posts, read 38,849,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
Thank you all for your help. We want to err on the side of safety as at some point, my daughter will be in charge of all of this. We would be buying a two or three year old vehicle that would be used to pull a straight load bumper pull trailer. It would used to haul maybe 2-3 xs/month. It would also be her car @ college.

Quick additional question--again forgive my ignorance--can someone give me a quick summary of why they prefer diesel over gas or vice versa?
Diesels have their torque come on at low RPM which is better for towing, and they generally get a LOT better mileage than a gas version of the same exact vehicle.

Old 07-24-2010, 07:20 AM

79 posts, read 322,737 times
College car and Horse puller? Wow is that an oxymoron. I'd get her a good used college car and the savings would go for a part-time tow vehicle. College kids gonna drive all over heck, and 10-15mpg truck would be a waste. If you had to choose only one vehicle, I'd say a 4.3l Chevy shortbed w/ a reese hitch (you mentioned bumper pull) and electric brake hookup. Might squeeze 18-20 for general running around and have just enough torque to haul occasionally. Diesel for work truck, yes, but college?

Just a thought, tho'. My brother has a 1994(?) Chevy 3/4 Ton w/ a 454 in it. With an exhaust upgrade and a new air intake, it gets 18mpg with a light foot. It also has enough torque to pull a house off of it's foundation.

Old 07-24-2010, 08:10 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,727,849 times
Yeah, everyday driver(for college), and truly capable towing vehicle are at opposite extremes from one another.

Take it from someone that drives a one ton crew cab dually on a daily basis. Just parking that thing in the average modern parking lot to run into the store and pick some things up on the way home is an unpleasant chore far more than half the time.

Although I dont need that much truck on a daily basis, it's comforting to know you can hook up what you want, when you want,(or as it is needed) and not worry about any issues with safety, overloading, etc.

I'd also suggest Diesel over gas, the torque and fuel economy cant be beat. Repair bills can be considerably higher, so if looking used, make certain you have a reputable Diesel qualified mechanic give it a good once over.

There are plenty of Diesel & vehicle specific forums online that you can spend time doing some research, ask some questions, and folks there will usually be quite happy to answer questions about what to watch for in regards to any specific truck you may be considering.

truckstop.us

is a great one stop forum for excellent info categorized by vehicle and (Diesel) engine from the eighties to date.

YC.......

Old 07-24-2010, 09:20 AM

5,007 posts, read 15,421,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
read further. I said SAFELY tow that amount, not rated to tow that amount. You couldn't pay me enough money to drive either one of those 1/2 ton trucks pulling a 2 horse trailer up and down hills. And I LIKE both of those trucks.

Do you really think, in this lawsuit-happy age, that the manufacturer would advertise over and over that it can tow that amount if it couldn't do it safely?

Towing is more a matter of being able to stop what you are towing, not actually pulling it. If you get the upgraded towing package for the half-tons, they come with transmission coolers, upgraded brakes, etc.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:36 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,961,276 times
This can't be done with one vehical... Any real truck is going to gobble fuel. Just filling one up will cause a older guy a heart attack. 38 gallons or more of any fuel will start that trigger. I know I get woosie at the pumps any time I go there. That's before my feet touch earth too.

Horses are expensive. The one I had a while back was fast and if any event I wanted to go to was at 100 miles or less i just rode the horse to the event. That used to be how it was done anyway a long time ago.

Now horses can no no longer do that, since they reside in bigger than average barns with a red brick isle, have gold plated water fittings, and a shower stall, complete with hot and cold running water.

Each pair of horses must have a 1 ton truck and matched trailer.

Surely a collge commuter is a cake walk in terms of money. A horse will eat more than that cost in a year. Just hay for 2 horses at 6 bucks a bail is $2,190.00.

That don't count grain, shoes, or coggins, and you better not ride any horses around in trailers with out coggins test papers. That don't count quick lime, bug be gone, and a mess of things that horses need either.

A small eco car is the, least of the problems.

When fuels are made there is more diesel fuel made than the gasolines by the nature of the making. The costs are driven by impulse of Govt, the makers, and the way the world is. The costs of diesel used to be far less than any gasolines, but like most things people have become used to being cheated in day to day life.

Back in the 70's it was said it cost more to remove lead from gas. There is no lead in gas, it was an additive. Never the less 'We the People' bought that hook line and sinker.

There is more power in diesel and the truck will go farther, a lot farther. Most any decent truck with diesel will have 2 batterys too, something a trailer pulling truck might like. It will have a massive charging system 100 AMPS +.

Saftey has a price, and not having that to pull horses is no fun if something happens on the road hours from help.

So if you ask me, a gas truck in this size will cost about the same to fuel up. It will go apx 250 miles, and need to be fueled up again. The diesel will reflect that cost but may run out to nearly 400 miles on that first fill up. Something less, but that depends on the truck, the trailer, and the combined weights. (A 'V' nose trailer is a bit more areo dynamic than any big box)

More or less diesel engines cost less to run. You change the oil and filters. Unless there is a problem that is all you do, unlike gas engines. I am just talking engines since all trucks need main in other areas about the same. Brakes are still brakes. That trailer better have brakes too. ( If you go diesel, and it has turbo, besure to understand 2 things. Change the oil change the oil and change the oil is standard for any turbo. The 2nd thing is allow a cooling off time before the engine is turned off. This means allow nothing less than 30 seconds ideling after a haul. The best way to kill a turbo is to shut off the engine with the turbo cooking hot.)

I hope your daughter is going into a good medical education, for these costs will demand that.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:10 PM

8,317 posts, read 29,469,568 times
Well, I'll set aside the argument about horses for the moment--except to say that pleasure horses are a money pit that will devour cash faster than throwing hundred dollar bills in a bonfire.

If you need a pickup to haul a good sized trailer, I recommend (or don't) the following, all with diesel engines. These are based on the recommendations of my mechanic, who maintains various public and private diesel pickup fleets under contract for a living:

Pre-2002 Fords with the 7.3 diesel. Avoid the 6.0 and 6.4's that came later--they are problem-prone like hell.

Pre-2005 Chevy/GMC Duramax's. Pretty good truck and engine. The later models are strangled with emission controls.

Pre-2005 Dodge Cummins. Great engine, medicore truck. These are OK if the truck isn't off highway a lot. The body and radiator mounts are pretty weak if they are bounced around a lot. Like the Chevy's, the later models were strangled by emission controls.

The 2011's. The manufacturers have gone to urea injection for emission control--while another emission complication, they appear to get considerably better fuel economy than their predecessors. The trucks cost like hell, though. Anything costing that much should have a mailbox in front of it.

Better yet--shoot the horses and buy a Toyota Camry.

Old 07-24-2010, 06:50 PM

2,145 posts, read 3,060,493 times
We do understand what we've gotten into with the horse and the expenses associated with him. Obviously we have more thinking to do about what vehicle(s) we're going to need. Thank you all for your input. It's very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive