Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 07:25 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times

Advertisements

The funny thing about pickups is that I don't really like driving them. But I understand why people like them. We had a Ford F250 SuperDuty V10 crewcab from 2000-2006. My wife drove it. We bought it because we don't like full size SUVs (Suburban). My wife liked sitting up high, and liked that people didn't mess around her on the road. We have a boat and pwc, so we used it to tow occasionally.

I hated the super stiff and bouncy ride. But I liked that it could do just about anything you asked it to.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:48 AM

4,848 posts, read 11,808,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Army_Guy View Post
I don't have a truck, don't have much need for one and I'm not a fan of them but I don't care what other people drive. What they drive is their choice, they don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.

Your line of thinking is about as bad as the OP. I work for a living, there are plenty of women that work for a living. Are they allowed to drive a truck according to you?

So you can sum a person up by what they drive?
He meant there are men who work with heavy equipment for a living. Not sit in an office.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:02 AM

6,543 posts, read 7,124,380 times
I use a 3/4 diesel pick up all day with my job, I have no need or want for one as daily driver. I'd rather be low and go fast then sit up high so I bought an AMG MB and use a 98 Jeep 5.9 limited as my winter beater (which is a nice mix between car and truck)

Old 02-12-2014, 08:14 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,877,928 times
I think people are mis-understanding the question. I get why people would buy one to haul a boat or if they live on a farm etc. The question was why would you want one if you don't use it for any of that and people do. It was as simple question, not an insult to truck owners.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:32 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,164,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I think people are mis-understanding the question. I get why people would buy one to haul a boat or if they live on a farm etc. The question was why would you want one if you don't use it for any of that and people do. It was as simple question, not an insult to truck owners.
As originally written it was not a simple question. Why do people that aren't cowboys wear cowboy boots?

Millions of people buy a vehicle that is more than transportation. Trucks appeal to lots of people that don't "need" them.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:45 AM

9,614 posts, read 21,260,762 times
Quote:
I didn't think about liking sitting up high over everything, guess that would be nice in heavy traffic at times.
You also sit in a more ergonomically-correct position in a truck than in a car.

Before gas got so high I used a truck as my primary vehicle and made several trips driving straight through from Illinois to Colorado stopping only for gas, and never felt any ill effects at the end of the trips. Now that gas is sky-high I drive the car on longer trips; I have to get out and stretch my legs every couple of hours and if I drive much farther than that it takes a day to recover before I feel like doing anything.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:51 AM

4,625 posts, read 12,289,811 times
I got one to wipe my buggars on the rubber floor mat.

Old 02-12-2014, 08:57 AM

4,761 posts, read 14,283,224 times
I have a 3/4 ton truck I use for work - hauling big or heavy loads, towing etc. Otherwise I drive a car which gets MUCH better gas mileage and is much easier to park!

I get a kick out of guys who have city "vanity trucks". They want anything placed in the bed of their truck placed gently or will place a blanket or piece of cardboard on the bed first (so as not to scratch the truck!) Or they have never hauled any loads in their truck and never will.

They think driving a truck makes them a "man". Actually real men don't play "High school gang - blind sheep follow the leader". They can think on their own and do what they want, not what they think everyone else wants them to do.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:02 AM

54 posts, read 109,706 times
Quote:
It's a cultural thing.

When I was growing up in the New York/New Jersey area there were guys and gals we called "guidos". Think Jersey Shore. All the guys would drive around in IROC Camaros. It was a core part of the image or the lifestyle (along with a certain type of music, clothing, way of speaking, etc.)

I've lived in different parts of the south for a dozen years now. I can't leave my driveway without Dale Ernhardt Jr Jr riding my bumper in his white F3000. They are everywhere.

Guidos had their IROCs, hip-hop fans have their sports paraphernalia, and southerners have their pickups.

Remember, at our core human beings are still very tribal. You gotta wear the badge to fit in with the tribe.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:28 AM

2,628 posts, read 4,297,480 times
I drove trucks for most of my life until my (now ex) wife convinced me to get an AWD Subaru instead so that she could drive it. While I do like the Subaru, I really miss the truck, and I am planning on getting one soon, even if I keep the Subaru as a daily driver.

Fortunately my girlfriend has a Blazer and my parents only live a few miles away and my dad lets me borrow his truck whenever I need it, so the loss of a truck has been manageable.

The times I have missed having a truck recently are, in no particular order:

-when one of my motorcycles breaks down or needs new tires
-pretty much all spring when I am landscaping my yard
-when I go furniture shopping
-when I want to take my dogs camping/canoeing
-in the winter when I shovel and salt my older relatives' driveways. The back seat of my Subaru is a giant mess from hauling buckets of salt
-when doing DIY home projects. It took me almost a month to refinish a bathroom that should have only taken a week due to the logistics associated with not having a truck and relying on my dad and girlfriend to haul things.
-taking my niece and nephew sled riding. I have a nice big wooden sled that does not fit in my car.
-when I buy dog food in bulk

I am sure there are many other cases, as I miss having a truck weekly if not daily. If I had a good place to put it, I would go out and buy one today, but unfortunately I don't have room in my garage or driveway. If I sell a few motorcycles, my girlfriend gets rid of her blazer, or if we buy a house with a bigger garage, one of my first priorities will be getting a pickup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive