Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 05:17 PM

3,763 posts, read 5,857,834 times

Advertisements

I don't really desire to have a full size pick. I did have 2 S-10s. I did not use the bed as much as I could have. I will say that while I don't want a full size truck, this is still America and people should have the right to drive whatever irregardless of the MPG. Those BMWs and MB and Audi's are not getting 30 - 40 MPG when they are going 100MPH on the Autobahn .

Old 02-13-2014, 05:40 PM

334 posts, read 585,214 times
What is the point??? THEY ARE PICKUPS. That IS the point.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:50 PM

45,373 posts, read 60,546,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by james777 View Post
If guys wanted the extra room of a truck, they wouldn't buy one with a console three times the size of any other vehicle, or with a console at all. They would buy one with a comfortable bench seat and plenty of room to spread out. When I purchased my truck, I had to search far and wide for one with a bench seat. I shudder to think what the search for a truck with a comfortable bench seat would be like now.

Those trucks with wide consoles aren't real trucks; they are just yuppie status symbols and high-priced, glorified grocery getters.
Comfortable and bench seat don't go together I trucks or even in my 2002 Taurus wagon. The center guy is incredibly uncomfortable and cramped.

I have a bench seat in my '03 F150 and the dual bucket seats with a fold down arm rest which can fold up and become a seat in my new '14 F150. I wouldn't sit in the center seat in either one.

Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 PM

21,872 posts, read 25,129,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyxjon View Post
I can't understand why anyone would want to drive around in a compact car. Seriously, when I travel for work, I'm usually stuck with a "midsize" vehicle like a Toyota Corolla (which to me is a compact car, not a "midsize") and I can't stand being so low to the ground, not having any power to accelerate, having no room for anything, and generally being in a vehicle that is in no way fun to drive.

Cheap - more money for tires that last 3-4k miles tops and cost $200/pop

Old 02-13-2014, 05:57 PM

4,666 posts, read 3,861,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I lived in Germany all my life and there is competitions going on between the car companies there and Asia about who produces the lightest and most fuel efficient cars.

The streets are packed with little cars who use hardly any gas anymore. People are proudly announcing how fast and far they can go with one tank of gas. Advertisements about fuel economy, save our environment, etc.

Then I moved to the US (VA to be specific) in 2006 and was surprised to see that nothing of that trend has reached the US. Huge trucks are all over the streets, blowing out massive amount of smoke, nobody talks about environment or wasted gas, people let their cars/trucks idle forever (illegal in Europe), everybody apparently hauls tons of stuff every weekend (?) which is questionable, especially when I see all these tiny women drive big trucks.

So I am wondering, if Europe and Asia are making a big deal out of nothing (carbon footprint) or if the US just doesn't give a damn?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/climate.shtml

Is a diesel truck, who uses 20 mpg better for the environment as a regular gas car, who uses 35 mpg?
Exactly!

Some of us Americans are slowly getting better in understanding practicality, but I have my doubts regarding a complete change. I'm not sure what could change the mindset of those who think they need excess (truck, camper, horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, even land etc). Maybe we need more incentives to award intelligent buying choices perhaps? Maybe punishment for those who make dumb decisions & buy gas guzzlers like SUVs and trucks when they don't need them (& I doubt the majority do)? Maybe if I have time tonight, I'll look up the results and impact from the cash for clunkers program.

I do credit the European mindset. Less is best! My cousins fiance is from England. I recall him commenting about the cars in America and he said "they're on steroids. The autos here are huge! Whats the reason?" Exactly. There isn't a sound reason. We need to learn this from Europe and Asia.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
Exactly!

Some of us Americans are slowly getting better in understanding practicality, but I have my doubts regarding a complete change. I'm not sure what could change the mindset of those who think they need excess (truck, camper, horses, motorcycles, 4 wheelers, even land etc). Maybe we need more incentives to award intelligent buying choices perhaps? Maybe punishment for those who make dumb decisions & buy gas guzzlers like SUVs and trucks when they don't need them (& I doubt the majority do)? Maybe if I have time tonight, I'll look up the results and impact from the cash for clunkers program.

I do credit the European mindset. Less is best! My cousins fiance is from England. I recall him commenting about the cars in America and he said "they're on steroids. The autos here are huge! Whats the reason?" Exactly. There isn't a sound reason. We need to learn this from Europe and Asia.
Gas also costs a lot more (taxes) and people have less money (taxes) and less purchasing power for the less money they have (higher cost of living, partly due to taxes).

I don't really credit the European mindset. But then I also drive a small car that's fuel efficient so I enjoy the best of both worlds. Cheap gas, high purchasing power, and relatively low taxes.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsprit View Post
I doubt that you're anything close to being "conservative". If you were, then you'd understand the fallacy of your thinking that anybody else's ownership or use of a vehicle must be on a "need" basis that must be demonstrated to others with a taxing authority.

For that matter, your logic hits the hipocrisy of whatever vehicle it is that you might be owning ...

for example, if taxing a vehicle is based upon "need", then what about folks that drive any vehicle that accomodates 4 passengers when they only drive it as a single or two passenger vehicle?

What about folk that drive vehicles capable of speeds far in excess of speed limits? do they have a "need" that you would approve of?

The slippery slope of your logic extends, of course, to so many other behaviors/property ownership ...

do you "need" that "big screen" TV? You propose a tax without showing any beneficial purpose for which it would be applied except to punish those who you don't agree have a "need" for their behavior.
My voting record proves to me I'm conservative obviously along with my beliefs. I especially value minimalism & not spending money we don't have. If America continues to fail then yes, maybe we should try something like "taxing the crap" out of stuff like you described. Something needs to be done.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
I generally don't have a great opinion about stereotypical pickup drivers but I would not want to live in a nanny state where there are restrictions on owning one.
But you live in California?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by everwinter View Post
But you live in California?
Not everyone lives in LA/San Francisco. The part of California I live in usually votes Republican and very much likes its pickups.

Old 02-13-2014, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merc63 View Post

And you don't need to buy a NEW truck. Trucks are tough, cheap used trucks can be just as useful and cost LESS than renting one.

I paid $2300 for this '94 diesel 3500:

And frankly, I don't give two ****s about what they do in other countries like Switzerland.
Nice find!

Regarding your last comment, you should care. We can & have learned a lot from other countries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.