Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2014, 02:24 PM

9,614 posts, read 21,282,729 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpoonalt View Post
Why do people get so angry about what other people choose to have or do?
Insecurity.

Insecure people are scared (usually subconsciously) that the personal choices that they make will be perceived as "wrong." So when someone else makes a different choice that they doesn't seem to make sense, they tend to go on the attack. In their minds, pointing out that the other person made a "wrong" choice will subsequently make their own choice look right.

Mad Magazine cartoonist said it best in a strip from the 1970s: People fear what they don't understand, and fear breeds hate.

Last edited by duster1979; 02-14-2014 at 03:19 PM..

Old 02-14-2014, 02:26 PM

45,444 posts, read 60,653,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by duster1979 View Post
Insecurity.

Insecure people are scared (usually subconsciously) that the personal choices that they make are "wrong." So when someone else makes a different choice that they doesn't seem to make sense, they tend to go on the attack. In their minds, pointing out that the other person made a "wrong" choice will subsequently make their own choice look right.

Mad Magazine cartoonist said it best in a strip from the 1970s: People fear what they don't understand, and fear breeds hate.
And hate leads to the Dark Side.

Old 02-14-2014, 02:53 PM

417 posts, read 868,149 times
This thread makes me want to buy a lifted diesel, maybe the OP is sick of the glare in his rearview?

Attached Thumbnails
What is the point of owning a pickup truck?-megacab.jpg  

Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,274,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
My husband uses his for work every day. And then everyone asks him to help them move, pick up things they bought from Home Depot or Nebraska Furniture Mart. It might be a good idea for people to buy trucks so they don't impose on their friends who own them.

We also use it to haul lawn equipment (riding mower, push mower, weed eater, wheelbarrow, rakes, grass seed) to a family cemetery we take care of that is out in the country.

But then people like you might see him driving it on the rare occasion when there's nothing in the bed and decide that he doesn't "need" a truck.

I owned a Jeep Wrangler and actually, my husband's truck was more "user friendly" by your definition than the Jeep Wrangler. Did I "need" a Jeep Wrangler? No, but I wanted one and I got one because I can.

Old 02-14-2014, 03:58 PM

3,146 posts, read 4,110,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.
Thank you.

I totally get where you're coming from because I see it and ask myself the same thing everyday. All of that fuel and money being wasted to carry one or two people and a bed full of snow in the winter.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:33 PM

3,703 posts, read 4,857,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phlinak View Post
Thank you.

I totally get where you're coming from because I see it and ask myself the same thing everyday. All of that fuel and money being wasted to carry one or two people and a bed full of snow in the winter.
Does it really bother you? Why care? It's called personal choice and shouldn't concern anybody except the ones buying them.

With that line of thought, why spend more money on something good to eat when rice and beans is enough? It all makes a turd!

Old 02-14-2014, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mybellegirls View Post
Not sure if this has been said yet, not like I was going to troll through the 7+ pages of replies, but have you noticed some of the INCREDIBLE deals that are available for trucks? So, from a financial perspective, it's a better deal than a non-truck expense. Aside from the roominess aspect, as others have mentioned, they're damn safe. My next vehicle purchase will be a truck for my teenage daughter to drive when she *finally* gets her license.
When you figure in the cost of fuel, maintenance, and insurance versus a car or even a smaller CUV or SUV, I think you'll find that "incredible" deal becomes a raw deal.

Old 02-14-2014, 04:41 PM

4,045 posts, read 4,433,937 times
Around here it's a tuff guy/small penis thing possibly...kinda like vroom vroom bikers

Old 02-14-2014, 05:34 PM

161 posts, read 274,008 times
Why all the nasty answers? It is uncalled for.
The op was simply asking a question. Answer the question. Educate.

Old 02-14-2014, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oh-eve View Post
I lived in Germany all my life and there is competitions going on between the car companies there and Asia about who produces the lightest and most fuel efficient cars.

The streets are packed with little cars who use hardly any gas anymore. People are proudly announcing how fast and far they can go with one tank of gas. Advertisements about fuel economy, save our environment, etc.

Then I moved to the US (VA to be specific) in 2006 and was surprised to see that nothing of that trend has reached the US. Huge trucks are all over the streets, blowing out massive amount of smoke, nobody talks about environment or wasted gas, people let their cars/trucks idle forever (illegal in Europe), everybody apparently hauls tons of stuff every weekend (?) which is questionable, especially when I see all these tiny women drive big trucks.

So I am wondering, if Europe and Asia are making a big deal out of nothing (carbon footprint) or if the US just doesn't give a damn?

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/climate.shtml

Is a diesel truck, who uses 20 mpg better for the environment as a regular gas car, who uses 35 mpg?
Unfortunately, as you can see from the majority of the posts, it seems to be the latter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive