Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-13-2014, 07:46 PM

211 posts, read 340,777 times

Advertisements

Safety
Trucks are more likely to cause accidents than cars. Trucks suffer from an uneven weight distribution, poor turning radius, and overall greater mass that considerably lengthens the time it takes for a truck to stop. Four wheel drive can theoretically help mitigate with weight distribution, but since it has to be activated and even then doesn't actual manage torqueloads to individual wheels it doesn't make up for the time lost getting the truck stopped compared to a car. When a truck and a car wreck into one another, the safety advantages provided by the truck platform come only at the expense of the car. The strongest structural point of the truck is often times at about window level with the car - in other words, its weakest point. So not only are trucks more likely to be involved in single driver accidents than cars, they are a danger on the roads to car drivers.

Utility
Its certainly true that trucks are fantastic haulers and make great work trucks. American brands Ford and Chevrolet undeniably make the best pickup trucks. But people often times do not use their trucks for any meaningful purpose, and all they do is create another danger on the road for other drivers.

Cultural
Whereas we used to make muscle cars, now we make trucks. What has followed is now Americans make cultural statements with pickups instead of muscle cars. The Asian car market makes efficient, long-lived cars with terrible interiors and styling. Most Americans can't afford European cars or don't have access to them. What's left is to buy the cool looking American brand to make a cultural statement.

I have owned vans before because 1) I really like them and 2) I could do a lot of sideline work with them. One summer I spent my days working retail and doing various odd jobs for farmers and then at night I would roll out a futon mattress and change into night clothes from my, erm, *borrowed* shopping cart dresser. Now that I have parlayed all of that hard work into an education and income I no longer need to break my back or sleep in my car. I own cheap Japanese cars with interiors that are falling apart. We live in a country that affords people the luxury of making impractical decisions, and I'm ok with that. I simply disagree with these choices sometimes.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the government incentivizing car-ownership because then they would probably be pressured by truck makers to counteract it by offering some kind of incentive to farm works or construction workers - that kind of financial tug of war is plagueing our country at the moment.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:10 PM

2,994 posts, read 5,590,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
Safety
Trucks are more likely to cause accidents than cars. Trucks suffer from an uneven weight distribution, poor turning radius, and overall greater mass that considerably lengthens the time it takes for a truck to stop. Four wheel drive can theoretically help mitigate with weight distribution, but since it has to be activated and even then doesn't actual manage torqueloads to individual wheels it doesn't make up for the time lost getting the truck stopped compared to a car. When a truck and a car wreck into one another, the safety advantages provided by the truck platform come only at the expense of the car. The strongest structural point of the truck is often times at about window level with the car - in other words, its weakest point. So not only are trucks more likely to be involved in single driver accidents than cars, they are a danger on the roads to car drivers.

Utility
Its certainly true that trucks are fantastic haulers and make great work trucks. American brands Ford and Chevrolet undeniably make the best pickup trucks. But people often times do not use their trucks for any meaningful purpose, and all they do is create another danger on the road for other drivers.

Cultural
Whereas we used to make muscle cars, now we make trucks. What has followed is now Americans make cultural statements with pickups instead of muscle cars. The Asian car market makes efficient, long-lived cars with terrible interiors and styling. Most Americans can't afford European cars or don't have access to them. What's left is to buy the cool looking American brand to make a cultural statement.

I have owned vans before because 1) I really like them and 2) I could do a lot of sideline work with them. One summer I spent my days working retail and doing various odd jobs for farmers and then at night I would roll out a futon mattress and change into night clothes from my, erm, *borrowed* shopping cart dresser. Now that I have parlayed all of that hard work into an education and income I no longer need to break my back or sleep in my car. I own cheap Japanese cars with interiors that are falling apart. We live in a country that affords people the luxury of making impractical decisions, and I'm ok with that. I simply disagree with these choices sometimes.

I'm not sure I like the idea of the government incentivizing car-ownership because then they would probably be pressured by truck makers to counteract it by offering some kind of incentive to farm works or construction workers - that kind of financial tug of war is plagueing our country at the moment.
Wrong. Cars are more likely and do cause more accidents. Drivers of cars often cut in front of trucks because they think they are going slow and slam on the brakes. They often underestimate the power of these trucks. Cars often zip around like they are king of the road because they are tiny and can squeeze in and out of traffic. Tiny cars allow drivers to be more aggressive and careless.

Suvs and pickup trucks do not need more stopping distance over cars. Tractor trailers yes...suvs and pickups no. Trucks and suvs have brake rotors and calipers that are oversized to stop the vehicle in a safe distance that is loaded to its GVWR. When we haul things then it changes and cars know we are hauling but yet they dart in front of us stop on a dime.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by curzon_dax View Post
Safety
But people often times do not use their trucks for any meaningful purpose, and all they do is create another danger on the road for other drivers.
The 2nd dumbest comment I've read in all my years on the internet. What is the meaningful purpose of you driving your honda alone? Why do you need 5 seats? rip that back seat out it's meaningless if you don't have any passengers in it. You should only be driving a motorcycle because you are only one person! Stop being so wasteful!!! moron

Old 02-13-2014, 08:30 PM

6,557 posts, read 7,136,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie1278 View Post
Wrong. Cars are more likely and do cause more accidents. Drivers of cars often cut in front of trucks because they think they are going slow and slam on the brakes. They often underestimate the power of these trucks. Cars often zip around like they are king of the road because they are tiny and can squeeze in and out of traffic. Tiny cars allow drivers to be more aggressive and careless.

Suvs and pickup trucks do not need more stopping distance over cars. Tractor trailers yes...suvs and pickups no. Trucks and suvs have brake rotors and calipers that are oversized to stop the vehicle in a safe distance that is loaded to its GVWR. When we haul things then it changes and cars know we are hauling but yet they dart in front of us stop on a dime.
You sure about that?!?!?

2013 Light-Duty Challenge: Braking - PickupTrucks.com Special Reports

22 Cars that Stop from 60 MPH in Less Than 100 Feet - Motor Trend

Old 02-13-2014, 08:38 PM

Am i sure about what?

Old 02-13-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Am i sure about what?

"Suvs and pickup trucks do not need more stopping distance over cars. Tractor trailers yes...suvs and pickups no."

Old 02-13-2014, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
Suvs and pickup trucks do not need more stopping distance over cars. Tractor trailers yes...suvs and pickups no.
I mean trucks are designed to stop in an acceptable stopping range. They don't need stop the same distance of a car to be considered safe. We are talking about a huge weight difference from a truck compared to a car.

So the argument for trucks is they take longer then a car to stop so they are a danger on the road? double

Old 02-13-2014, 09:03 PM

Quote:
I mean trucks are designed to stop in an acceptable stopping range. They don't need stop the same distance of a car to be considered safe. We are talking about a huge weight difference from a truck compared to a car.

So the argument for trucks is they take longer then a car to stop so they are a danger on the road? double
It just says trucks stop slower, so there's a higher (whether slightly or greatly) chance of hitting something in a truck then in a car if stopping is involved. That's all, I drive a truck all the time, but stopping is s*** compared to my car!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamer27 View Post
It just says trucks stop slower, so there's a higher (whether slightly or greatly) chance of hitting something in a truck then in a car if stopping is involved. That's all, I drive a truck all the time, but stopping is s*** compared to my car!
Yes and you as the operator are supposed to know that you need more space to stop. The actual truck itself is not unsafe it's the drivers that are unsafe.

Old 02-13-2014, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Yes and you as the operator are supposed to know that you need more space to stop. The actual truck itself is not unsafe it's the drivers that are unsafe.
True, true. Plus when you have great brakes, you worry about unsafe drivers rear ending you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.