Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2014, 03:11 AM

3,398 posts, read 6,086,359 times

Advertisements

I don't have a truck, don't have much need for one and I'm not a fan of them but I don't care what other people drive. What they drive is their choice, they don't have to justify it to you or anyone else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Caldwell View Post
It might come as a surprise, but there are still men who work for a living. They build things, farm things, demolish things, haul things, and otherwise use a pickup. I farm 93 acres, and couldn't be without one, any more than I would be without an air compressor. Cars are for women and men who never get their hands dirty.
Your line of thinking is about as bad as the OP. I work for a living, there are plenty of women that work for a living. Are they allowed to drive a truck according to you?

So you can sum a person up by what they drive?

Old 02-12-2014, 03:40 AM

861 posts, read 1,336,949 times
I used to think the same way as the OP.... until I got one. Came in handy for farming and clearing large amount of junk off properties. Also for towing.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:51 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,369,252 times
I'm a little old lady and I have an F150 I bought it new and it's is now 16 years old and I love it. I also own and operate a small farm. Trucks aren't just for men folks, all my GF's have trucks, of course we all operate farms too and work FT jobs.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:00 AM

17,340 posts, read 22,081,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcmo View Post
I just don't get it. People buy these huge trucks and then use them to commute in etc. They seem like such as waste of vehicle. Sure, they are great for going to home depot a couple times a year or moving large furniture, but what about the other 360 days a year?

All people are doing is hauling around a giant cargo beds everywhere they go that is mostly empty, meanwhile, the usable part of the truck is just not very user friendly for normal day to day living (grocery shopping, commuting etc).

And you pay like twice as much in gas to haul around a cargo bed everywhere, take up two parking spots in urban areas etc.

I tried a truck once, bought a brand new Nissan Frontier extended cab. It was a nice truck, but completely worthless most of the time and traded it in after a year.

And the redneck trucks with all the big smokestacks and what not spewing black smoke???

If you are a contractor or something like that, I get having a big truck, but other than that, I just don't see why people like them.

I have owned dozens of trucks.....always had 1 since 1989 for work and for the past 15 years I have owned multiple (3 currently, 2005, 2010, 2013). That being said I am a car guy, I hate trucks but can appreciate their functions. Towing boats/trailers, hauling gear/tools are all truck jobs. To me the idiots are the ones that try to make trucks into sportscars!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:02 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,585 posts, read 81,260,275 times

Apparently a lot of people understand the point of owning a pickup truck. Map from the state DMV records:

http://s315.photobucket.com/user/fir...2d654.jpg.html

Old 02-12-2014, 06:04 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,396,943 times
Almost every family has a second vehicle that gets little use but it's great to have when you need it. A pickup is the best second vehicle you can own. Even those foreign faux pickups, Nissan, Toyota are better than not having a real truck.
I love my Mustang but I really miss my F250 4X4 PS. I may have to get another.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:36 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
I would almost bet money that this west Texas county has many more trucks than cars on the road.

I've owned pickups even when I lived in several major cities simply because I like them better than cars for everyday driving. Now that I live on a farm, a truck is definitely more practical as I have trailers I have to pull and tools I carry. My last car was an Accord that was literally nearly cut in two pieces out here on these country roads by a full-sized Dodge truck pulling a loaded cattle trailer. It was what I had to drive at the time.

My wife drives a GM minivan in the city but she hauls about as much stuff as I do in my 17-year old F150. She even has a small 4x8 trailer she pulls occasionally. Her next vehicle will probably be an F150 or F250. We don't buy new vehicles anymore. Since retirement, I don't have the extra money I want to throw at wheels and insurance companies.

People drive what they like or what they need. Normally they drive what they can afford.

Old 02-12-2014, 06:56 AM

18,223 posts, read 25,871,803 times
I drive a pickup because I chop, haul, and deliver firewood to people in my neighborhood.

And because when I pick up items for smoking deals at yard and estate sales I can take care of it immediately.

And because I like to pull my camp trailer to a spot where there is ZERO people around.

And because I do handyman work for seniors in my neighborhood on fixed incomes.

And because I can.

Old 02-12-2014, 07:01 AM

24,604 posts, read 10,921,225 times
Moving to a small house in a small community ended a series of Chevy Sierras built up to the T. My little S10 is almost an insult and SO regularly wants to replace it but keeps borrowing it. How do you haul lumber, soil, plants, furniture, shooting carts, ....?

Old 02-12-2014, 07:17 AM

15,446 posts, read 21,364,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
I drive a pickup because I chop, haul, and deliver firewood to people in my neighborhood.

And because when I pick up items for smoking deals at yard and estate sales I can take care of it immediately.

And because I like to pull my camp trailer to a spot where there is ZERO people around.

And because I do handyman work for seniors in my neighborhood on fixed incomes.

And because I can.
Tried to rep you but was prevented.

We should compare garage sale "smoking deals. My last one was this winter; a $50 garage sale motor scooter I sold two weeks later for $750!

But back to the subject of trucks, my wife hauled the scooter from central New Mexico to our west Texas farm in her leather-interior minivan! She couldn't use her small trailer because I had it here at the farm putting tires on it. I call her minivan a true truck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive