Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 07:15 PM

1,710 posts, read 4,138,041 times

Advertisements

Any Detroit car is overrated. They are the chaff of the car world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 AM

483 posts, read 1,560,341 times
Haha this thread cracks me up. All 3 of my cars made the list (BMW, Mercedes, Lambo). I'm proud!

Yeah, a lot of BMW owners are total posers. Even BMW owners like me who are car people crack jokes about BMW owners. But so what? The question was about the car not the owners.

I think there's some reverse elitism here with Toyota/Honda owners who consider themselves so much wiser because they bought a $23k Accord instead of a $40k "overrated" German sedan. To me it strikes of p* envy.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:15 AM

2,861 posts, read 3,854,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
To me it strikes of p* envy.
i agree, and also some of 'mine is bigger than...' or 'my father can beat up...'

... in the end, it is pretty well a pointless discussion since everyone's experience and measure of 'value' or 'goodness' in a vehicle or a pizza will differ, and the likelihood of changing another's mind about a car (or even other things) with an Internet posting is near zero.

Last edited by jimazee; 06-05-2012 at 09:41 AM..

Old 06-05-2012, 08:27 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me007gold View Post
You are comparing the top of the line Camry(with the TSS body kit) to the entry level Benz/BMW, why dont you compare the base model with no body kit and the 4 cyl engine. Then see what one looks/performs better

*edit* didn't see some one posted the same thing
Um, isn't there a HUGE price difference between the cars you are comparing?

Old 06-05-2012, 08:32 AM

78,477 posts, read 60,679,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh u View Post
Haha this thread cracks me up. All 3 of my cars made the list (BMW, Mercedes, Lambo). I'm proud!

Yeah, a lot of BMW owners are total posers. Even BMW owners like me who are car people crack jokes about BMW owners. But so what? The question was about the car not the owners.

I think there's some reverse elitism here with Toyota/Honda owners who consider themselves so much wiser because they bought a $23k Accord instead of a $40k "overrated" German sedan. To me it strikes of p* envy.
My point is that when you are buying a vehicle like the base model BMW's, the fact that tons of posers lease them drags on the overall perceived value of the vehicle. This is why I specifically noted the base-model BMW's.

Hey, I'm a vette owner and am used to everyone expecting me to be 60 years old.

In fact, if I had to pick one brand as over-rated it would probably be Toyota. I have one and I love it but Toyota's tend to be more expensive than comparables due to their quality reputation. The difference in quality between a Toyota and it's competition has shrunk, I don't think the quality *value* is as big as the difference in price anymore.

Old 06-05-2012, 03:06 PM

24,512 posts, read 33,334,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
Keep the laughs coming; I can use them!

-Fleet
Owner of 4 Detroit cars.

Old 06-05-2012, 04:19 PM

31,083 posts, read 22,117,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outafocus View Post
You obviously haven't owned an Audi or BMW out of warrantee then. My A4's transimission bit the dust 4000 miles out of Warrentee it cost 4.5k to get it fixed. Brother in laws BMWs Alternator went out at 60k + miles and it cost over 800$ installed. Alternator for my 2005 GMC went out at 155k cost $119 and I was able to nstall it myself.

I'd say Audi for this post. Do not own a German car out of Warrentee. The parts cost can eat you alive.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:53 PM

197 posts, read 299,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathguy View Post
Hey, I'm a vette owner and am used to everyone expecting me to be 60 years old.

In many locales in this nation the *real* streetracing scene is owned by " old men". We've been doing this a lllloooonnnnnnggg time and have learned a few things.

Neither of my two rides at this time raises an eyebrow with the kids , until they get in over their head...........old men , well they look at the cage , the electronics and the one seat sitting in a handhammered aluminum interior on the Belvedere , and then they look under it. And then they smile and go " yeahright" when I tell them " ah it's just a slow old grandmacar"..........it was......about 40 years ago.

And the Mustang , well it gets taken for a J.A.M. , " just another Mustang ( notchback) , and by the time they notice the whistle etcetc. it's too late , and since I purge under the car they usually don't notice the squeeze either.

One of the fastest cars in this area is a relatively stock looking '69 Camaro........the owner retired from Childress Racing though and that motor has every trick in the book and then some , since now he doesn't have to follow arbitrary rules. And it IS quick , beat the Belvedere by two lengths on 65 less inches , even if he was squeezing it and I wasn't , and my Mopar is no slouch at steady 9.30s in street trim , I'll have to back half the car to go any quicker.

And all you'd notice about that Camaro is the idle and how much rubber is stuffed inside the wheelwells........

Did I mention that the gentleman in question is 72 years old? Never underestimate old men. And never take someones ride light based on looks , it can cost you.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:55 PM

197 posts, read 299,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
You obviously haven't owned an Audi or BMW out of warrantee then. My A4's transimission bit the dust 4000 miles out of Warrentee it cost 4.5k to get it fixed. Brother in laws BMWs Alternator went out at 60k + miles and it cost over 800$ installed. Alternator for my 2005 GMC went out at 155k cost $119 and I was able to nstall it myself.

I'd say Audi for this post. Do not own a German car out of Warrentee. The parts cost can eat you alive.

If you have to fix one then at times BMW translates to Broke My Wallet.I won't even get into the guys that can afford the 911 but then can't afford to maintain it correctly.

Old 06-05-2012, 09:28 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,248,004 times
I don't claim to be an expert, but since I picked BMW as the most over rated I'll explain why. It goes back a long ways.... In '86 I bought a new Grand Wagoneer and very quickly decided it was a piece of crap. I think it had a sticker price of 34K, so I went looking for a foreign car to trade it for of similar cost.

I test drove a small Mercedes (eh) and the small (325i) BMW. Too small, no power, rough ride. It didn't impress me at all. Then I drove a Saab 3000 Turbo. Nice! It reminded me of my Porsche 924 Turbo -- quick and responsive -- except that it also rode nice and had lots of room for four. I traded it a couple years later for one just like it ('88) but with anti-lock brakes and drove it for a decade. That was the first car I'd ever kept for more than 3 years, but I just couldn't let go of it.

Anyway, that was my only experience with BMW. I'm sure if I'd have wanted to spend $50K or more I'd have liked the BMW in that price range, but the 325i did not impress me at all.

Oh, I traded that Saab for a Lexus 300. It was basically a fancied up Toyota, and I knew that, and the price reflected it, but I must say I liked the car. We decided we had too many cars shortly after I bought it, however, so I traded it and my F250 for a new F250 PSD. I'm still driving it 12 years later. It's nearly broken in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive