Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 12:00 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times

Advertisements

Honda, Toyota, and starting to be Hyundai.

Don't get me wrong, Honda and Toyota make some great vehicles, alot of them are the leaders in their class. But I still think their is too much hype, and people come up with almost a mythical reliability for these vehicles. Seems like it fool non-automotive enthusiusts into believeing they are more reliable then you would expect, which fools them into buying them which jacks up the price to a point where its not worth it.

I mean a vehicle is worth what someone pays for it of course, just seems these get jacked up too high. Then again that is just my opinion.

Some other examples of individual models that have inflated prices. Chevy Traverse and associated models. These things still go for $25-30k with 100k miles on them. There are 12 year old suburbans with nearly 200k and they still sell for $7500. 99-04 Grand Cherokees with 150-200k selling for like $5-9k. Rav 4s fit here as well.

I would buy any of those vehicles, but the pricing is just too high for a vehicle with that many miles, don't care about the reliability, a car that hits 100k, is on its way down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 12:11 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,862,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00molavi View Post
For the other brands (Honda, Kia, Hyundai), at least they are not claiming that their machines are a work of art. They are just building commuter appliances with decent reliability and for what they want to be I think they are just fine with some hits and misses.
I'd agree with this. None of the Asian brands seem overrated in the sense people needlessly obsess over them... at least outside of the little hot-rod world. Even then, the loyalties aren't as concrete as Ford/Chevy can be. They're good cars. People understand that, and buy accordingly.

I think a brand being overrated could have something to do with what part of the country you're in. In some rural areas, a Chevy truck is just short of being a chariot of the gods. I bought into the hype briefly. Not a chariot of any god.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:12 PM

3,382 posts, read 8,651,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
I'd agree with this. None of the Asian brands seem overrated in the sense people needlessly obsess over them... at least outside of the little hot-rod world. Even then, the loyalties aren't as concrete as Ford/Chevy can be. They're good cars. People understand that, and buy accordingly.

I think a brand being overrated could have something to do with what part of the country you're in. In some rural areas, a Chevy truck is just short of being a chariot of the gods. I bought into the hype briefly. Not a chariot of any god.
I don't agree with that.

People hear toyota, or Honda and assume its gold. It will run forever.

Guy asked for a reliable truck because his current truck's frame was rotting out. He was looking for slightly older vehicles.

Look at this post https://www.city-data.com/forum/24570239-post23.html

One person actually posted this.... TOYOTA TOYOTA TOYOTA all you need to know.

LOL Toyota had a MASSIVE recall do to extreme frame rot of tacomas for I believe 95-04 models, in northern states. This would probably be last on the list of vehicles I would suggest for someone who lives in a corrosivve enviroment.

People assume Toyota, must not have any downfalls, when in reality they are still just vehicles and can and will have problems.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:16 PM

5,251 posts, read 14,250,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MustangEater82 View Post

LOL Toyota had a MASSIVE recall do to extreme frame rot of tacomas for I believe 95-04 models, in northern states. This would probably be last on the list of vehicles I would suggest for someone who lives in a corrosivve enviroment.

People assume Toyota, must not have any downfalls, when in reality they are still just vehicles and can and will have problems.
Tundra's as well, My friend has been with out her truck for at least 6 months.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:42 PM

6 posts, read 23,366 times
I have owned 5 BMWs and it is not overrated at all. I have never driven any sedan that drives as good as 5-series BMW. It seems it is very individual...
By the way, reliability does not make car better to drive. And handling is one of the main aspects why BMW costs so much

Old 06-03-2012, 02:57 PM

20,293 posts, read 37,189,297 times
So, by the end of this thread all automobile brands will be overrated?

So far we have: Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, Chevy, Cadillac, Lamborghini, Hyundai, Kia, Audi.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:03 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,847,766 times
the brands that are the most overrated are mercedes, bmw, lexus, honda, acura, infinity, in fact most of the high end brands are way overrated these days.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:08 PM

25,849 posts, read 16,532,741 times
All cars are so good now it's hard to say that any are "overrated" Maybe "over priced" like Lexus, Infinity or any of these knock off brands that copy real cars like BMW and Benz.

Why would I pay 70K for a glorified Toyota?

Old 06-03-2012, 03:09 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,825,184 times
They are all overrated.

Old 06-03-2012, 03:32 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,701,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PullMyFinger View Post
All cars are so good now it's hard to say that any are "overrated" Maybe "over priced" like Lexus, Infinity or any of these knock off brands that copy real cars like BMW and Benz.

Why would I pay 70K for a glorified Toyota?
I actually agree with this, score another one.

I don't necessarily believe any vehicles are overrated as so many have progressed nowadays to an extent where many makes/models are so similar in feature content that it's difficult to differentiate purely by the "goodies".

Parents had a Lexus LS460 and while it was a nice vehicle that was loaded with technology and comfort features...I would say it's overpriced for what it was. After a few years, dad decided to ditch the Lexus and go back to buying Cadillac's because the Lexus was just so anemic and bland.

I think Infiniti is another example of an overpriced brand. Doesn't exactly have the name presence of Mercedes nor the attractive styling of the new Cadillac's...it's sort of stuck in a rut as far as brand image is concerned. For the money, I'd buy many different vehicles not to mention the resale value on the Infiniti would be quite a bit lower compared to other competitors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive