Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most overrated car brand
BMW 72 20.51%
Audi 11 3.13%
Volkswagen 18 5.13%
Mercedes-Benz 60 17.09%
Ford 4 1.14%
Cadillac 28 7.98%
Chevrolet 13 3.70%
Hyundai/Kia 14 3.99%
Toyota 52 14.81%
Honda 25 7.12%
Lexus 33 9.40%
Infiniti 6 1.71%
Acura 9 2.56%
Lincoln 6 1.71%
Voters: 351. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 07:14 PM

20,299 posts, read 37,246,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by straight shooter View Post
They are all overrated.
Exactly right (agree with you)

But the ones that are really overrated, worst, whatever, are the ones that for whatever reason one does not like, regardless of price. In reality cars are like cameras and computers, in that the one every one of us has is the best around, and as such we find faults on the rest. While some of us like Toyota automobiles, some others like Subaru, Honda, etc. Just look at the arguments between brand fanboys in this forum

The bottom line is that every automobile manufacturer produces automobiles that are liked by most of its customers, and every one of them produces crappy cars every now and then. But those who have the money to spend on the most expensive cars, regardless of being overrated or not, have no trouble whatsoever buying what they want. As for me, I would not mind whatsoever owning an overrated Mercedes, Audi, BMW, or maybe a Ferrari Testarossa; I just can't afford one. But for those who can I am happy for.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 07:35 PM

441 posts, read 1,489,291 times
I've been a tech all my life. Almost 40 years. I love my 328 BMW. I drive 110 miles a day. 30 mpg and zip when I need it. Tightest car I have ever owned. I have always admired German technology. The US has a long way to go (and I'm a die hard Bowie fan) and as has been stated, the Japs are the biggest posers on the face of the earth. The IS aint got crap on the BMW. I plan to get the wife either the 5 series or an X5.

Just FYI, you can find really nice low mileage BMWs for half of new. Don't be a hater till you wrap your hand around the wheel!

Old 06-03-2012, 07:41 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,161,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
Lamborghini
Hyundai
Kia
Lambo-yes
Hyundai was a piece of garbage and completely turned it around especially after about 2001-2002.
Kia was almost bankrupt when Hyunday bailed them out. Nowadays they can hold their own with cars like Honda, Toyota,etc... Actually most cars are closer based on shared technology. I just think Kias are a little overpriced considering most still consider them an economy type car.

Old 06-03-2012, 07:43 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,161,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post
I've been a tech all my life. Almost 40 years. I love my 328 BMW. I drive 110 miles a day. 30 mpg and zip when I need it. Tightest car I have ever owned. I have always admired German technology. The US has a long way to go (and I'm a die hard Bowie fan) and as has been stated, the Japs are the biggest posers on the face of the earth. The IS aint got crap on the BMW. I plan to get the wife either the 5 series or an X5.

Just FYI, you can find really nice low mileage BMWs for half of new. Don't be a hater till you wrap your hand around the wheel!
I'll put a Nissan up against any German car especially VW's "8" days a week.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:12 PM

403 posts, read 868,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipanemeli View Post
I have owned 5 BMWs and it is not overrated at all. I have never driven any sedan that drives as good as 5-series BMW. It seems it is very individual...
By the way, reliability does not make car better to drive. And handling is one of the main aspects why BMW costs so much
Agree! BMW isn't just a status car. I have one that I got very inexpensively, runs like a champ, sexy as hell..has class, style, comfort & long term reliability not to mention its a blast to drive. 2001 Z3 3.0i. BMW is built to last longer thaner than any Toyota or Honda.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:14 PM

My Nissan was showing severe wear after 4yrs, many problems. My niece learned the same as I did. This was prior to 2005. I like the looks of them but quality wise they might have improved in last 5-7yrs.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCproud View Post

Well said. I'm considering trading in my suv for an X5, sexy beasts they are.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:40 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,959,274 times
I wud say fro my experience having bought UD cars since I truned 20 and now at 64 have owne three hondas and toytas startig with my wofe i 2003 that I have had zero problems with them. Every US car or truack I bought since 74 has been a money pit during owenrship. My lasy US make was a 98 fors F-150 and it 500 dollar to death and then I traded in 2008 and never looked back since.I never have owned a European car excpet a VW while in college and it serviced it purpose and I drove it to death basically.

Old 06-03-2012, 08:46 PM

441 posts, read 1,489,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I wud say fro my experience having bought UD cars since I truned 20 and now at 64 have owne three hondas and toytas startig with my wofe i 2003 that I have had zero problems with them. Every US car or truack I bought since 74 has been a money pit during owenrship. My lasy US make was a 98 fors F-150 and it 500 dollar to death and then I traded in 2008 and never looked back since.I never have owned a European car excpet a VW while in college and it serviced it purpose and I drove it to death basically.
Translation please!

Old 06-03-2012, 08:47 PM

2,861 posts, read 3,857,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yowps3 View Post
What car brand do you guys think is significantly overrated..
Among my least favs at a price and, thus for me, "overrated" are Jags and Lexi(?).....but that doesn't mean that for some people they aren't the 'best' choice.

There are many gauges of value, enjoyment, utility and pride of ownership in owning a car. Few people use exactly the same gauge...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Automotive