Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2022, 05:52 AM

6,432 posts, read 3,137,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think the dirt experiment has jumped the shark. The stands, even with the capacity reduction for safety, look really empty. Either race on a real dirt track, or just pull the plug altogether.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I read that SMI was bragging that ticket sales surpassed the pre-pandemic levels. Personally, I have no interest in seeing Cup on dirt.

Went to Martinsville last week. Didn't think they could kill that race, but they sure did. What a (freezing cold) snooze fest! We left early (as did many others). First time I ever left a race early since the 70's.
I agree with both comments.........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2022, 06:53 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leadfoot4 View Post
So, what do you guys think of running a race on Easter Sunday?

I saw a rather lengthy article in my local newspaper's Sports section, this morning, about this. The "interviewee" was Kevin Harvick, and he was pretty vocal about it, and he didn't particularly care for it.....
Yeah, pathetic and by the look of the stands I'm not the only one that thinks its a bad idea. Is this another Ben Kennedey brainiac move? So the question is what is NASCAR thinking. Lot of wasted time to watch Kyle Busch back into a win.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/04...at-were-doing/

Old 04-18-2022, 07:48 AM

5,169 posts, read 4,942,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think the dirt experiment has jumped the shark. The stands, even with the capacity reduction for safety, look really empty. Either race on a real dirt track, or just pull the plug altogether.
Yea, I'll second that. If they want to do an exhibition, non-points race for sh*ts and giggles, then so be it. Otherwise keep the Cup cars on pavement (or concrete).

Old 04-18-2022, 08:10 AM

5,717 posts, read 4,688,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Yeah, pathetic and by the look of the stands I'm not the only one that thinks its a bad idea. Is this another Ben Kennedey brainiac move? So the question is what is NASCAR thinking. Lot of wasted time to watch Kyle Busch back into a win.
https://nascar.nbcsports.com/2022/04...at-were-doing/
Harvick has become the "get off my lawn" of NASCAR.

NASCAR was thinking about getting a national audience in prime time. The small crowd is indicative of many facets. People ate a lot of dust last year, they were calling for heavy rain, and the product on TV is easier in every way. We'll see the TV numbers to see if it was a win for NASCAR.

NASCAR doesn't sell like it used to in the stands. But that started happening before so many started whining about "woke". I can personally testify that the stands at COTA weren't even half full. The only place that looked like it had a full crowd was Daytona.

Reddick has a to be the calmest guy in the series. I think I'd have been more that pissed. Briscoe even said as he walked down to apologize that he expected to get hit.

It sounds like we'll see this again in '23. Not my taste, but we'll see what the ratings do.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:53 AM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
Harvick has become the "get off my lawn" of NASCAR.

NASCAR was thinking about getting a national audience in prime time. The small crowd is indicative of many facets. People ate a lot of dust last year, they were calling for heavy rain, and the product on TV is easier in every way. We'll see the TV numbers to see if it was a win for NASCAR.

NASCAR doesn't sell like it used to in the stands. But that started happening before so many started whining about "woke". I can personally testify that the stands at COTA weren't even half full. The only place that looked like it had a full crowd was Daytona.

Reddick has a to be the calmest guy in the series. I think I'd have been more that pissed. Briscoe even said as he walked down to apologize that he expected to get hit.

It sounds like we'll see this again in '23. Not my taste, but we'll see what the ratings do.

Look, so far as people in the stands.. I don't read much into that.. The scheduling was.. Bad. Racing, AT NIGHT, on Easter Sunday. That is just the dumbest idea I've heard in quite some time.

If they're going to do this, on Easter weekend.. It needs to be done on Saturday night. The only people going to that were 'locals' for the most part. People who want to go to a race but not miss a day of work, those are the only people who COULD go to it.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:52 AM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:

Was impressed with Reddick, I was actually pulling for Briscoe to catch him, Larson or Bowman would've needed another 5 laps or so. Would have been fine with a Reddick win, especially with my anybody but Busch criteria. I did like the way both Reddick and Briscoe handled themselves. I actually told my boys "Reddick is going to be hot!" I thought he was the one who got to throwing punches in the xfinity with someone else. For the most part this crop of young guys seem to be pretty decent
Good to see some other guys up there as well...

1 11 18 Kyle Busch Mars Crunchy Cookie Toyota 250 5 5 52 Running 1 1 5
2 3 8 Tyler Reddick 3CHI Chevrolet 250 8 10 39 Running 1 99
3 10 22 Joey Logano Shell Pennzoil Ford 250 7 7 42 Running
4 5 5 Kyle Larson HendrickCars.com Chevrolet 250 1 6 48 Running 1 27 1
5 25 12 Ryan Blaney Menards/Dutch Boy Ford 250 9 9 36 Running
6 8 48 Alex Bowman Ally Chevrolet 250 6 36 Running
7 2 20 Christopher Bell DeWalt Toyota 250 3 2 47 Running
8 9 9 Chase Elliott Kelley Blue Book Chevrolet 250 4 36 Running
9 17 34 Michael McDowell Love's Travel Stops Ford 250 8 31 Running
10 7 42 Ty Dillon Food City/Gain Chevrolet 250 2 36 Running
11 18 6 Brad Keselowski Solomon Plumbing Ford 250 26 Running
12 21 99 Daniel Suarez Tootsies Orchid Lounge Chevrolet 250 3 33 Running 1 64
13 1 41 Cole Custer Jacob Construction/HaasTooling Ford 250 24 Running
14 6 31 Justin Haley LeafFilter Gutter Protection Chevrolet 250 23 Running
15 15 17 Chris Buescher Fastenal Ford 250 22 Runnin

Old 04-18-2022, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Look, so far as people in the stands.. I don't read much into that.. The scheduling was.. Bad. Racing, AT NIGHT, on Easter Sunday. That is just the dumbest idea I've heard in quite some time.

If they're going to do this, on Easter weekend.. It needs to be done on Saturday night. The only people going to that were 'locals' for the most part. People who want to go to a race but not miss a day of work, those are the only people who COULD go to it.
TV. RUNS. THE. SHOW. Period.

Old 04-19-2022, 03:04 PM

Numbers are in. 4 million viewers. Expect more of the same.

Forgot the link: https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu.../10045977/amp/

Old 04-19-2022, 03:49 PM

17,574 posts, read 15,247,745 times
Quote:
Numbers are in. 4 million viewers. Expect more of the same.

Forgot the link: https://www.motorsport.com/nascar-cu.../10045977/amp/

That's.. More than double the last race on pavement, IIRC.

Ok.. Not that bad. 2.8 million in 2019. 2.9 in 2020, which.. Pandemic.

But.. This from a race that used to pull 8 million, even during the height of the financial crisis.

They just keep working to ********** track up. Look, I know there's lots of people out here who like the racing back in the late 90's where the bump and run was king.

I actually liked it after the first redesign, when you had 2 grooves and.. People could race.. And pass.

Then they tried to 'fix' it again, and made it a 1 groove track which was at the top.. Then they covered it in dirt.

Maybe only Richmond has been screwed with as much.. Remember when you used to see all the yellow smoke when someone would spin out there because of that sealant they'd put on the track?

Old 04-20-2022, 10:14 AM

9,495 posts, read 9,812,678 times
Add me as another don't really care to see Cup on dirt. Fox was selling it hard though. It didn't seem like 'ole DW cared for it much either.

As for an Easter race, I'm also against it. We have to remember that NASCAR is a huge family sport, meaning that these teams have families they want to spend time with once in a blue moon. FOX made a bit of a big deal about the pit crews were at home with their families as the mechanics filled in. That was weird.

I'd be fine with a Saturday night race as Labonte18 said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing