Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-14-2022, 11:22 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times

Advertisements

JR has been quite vocal that the Cup prices are too high.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2022, 11:35 AM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
JR is.. I guess the best term is 'open' to moving to Cup, or probably more accurately, expanding to Cup. Don't think they'll leave Xfinity.

Kelley has talked about it some in the past. They'd need the right situation.

Problem, to me, at least.. Where would they fit? I mean they'd be a Hendrick satellite team more or less.. After all, Rick Hendrick owns a piece of JR Motorsports. But, in the Chevy hierarchy in Cup.. It's getting kinda crowded. You have the undisputed #1 team of Hendrick.. Then you've got Childress, Kaulig and Trackhouse.. Plus Spire, JTG and Petty/GMS. So far as I know, the only satellite team, sort of, with Hendrick now is JTG. They're just getting engines. There's a partnership between Hendrick and Childress on engines.. So, They do have the capacity to support JR if they went to Cup. Rick's ownership might be a hurdle/complication.

Allgaier has passed his time for being a cup driver. He's.. The current Jason Keller. He's just going to be a career Xfinity driver. He's 35. His first foray into Cup didn't go overly well, though it was with Phoenix/HScott which wasn't a great team.. He hasn't managed to win a championship with JR in 6 years. Averages about 2 wins a year in that equipment, which is just a close second behind Gibbs.

Mayer has RUN 25 Xfinity races. Never a whole season. He might move up, sure, I expect it, but.. "Soon" is relative. At least another 2 years.

Josh Berry.. 31, in his first full time season in Xfinity. I just.. Don't see him moving to Cup. It's not at the impossible timeframe, he's not that old, but.. It's going to be very, very tough for him.

Gragson is the one who's on the cusp. He has 2 years in Trucks under his belt, in his 4th year in Xfinity. The next open seat anywhere he's going to get serious looks.
I seem to remember JR responding to the question about starting a cup team and said that they would have to take a serious look at it with Josh Berry and the new car. I presume they did and decided against it. As I said , don't follow xfinity close enough but it left me curious , why Josh Berry, is he that special?
Seems to me they could basically be an extension of Hendrick and a way to keep hot young drivers in the Hendrick/Chevy camp. But as you mentioned their maybe some entanglement issues there with Hendrick. I don't know all the rules regarding that.

Old 04-14-2022, 01:34 PM

17,568 posts, read 15,237,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
I seem to remember JR responding to the question about starting a cup team and said that they would have to take a serious look at it with Josh Berry and the new car. I presume they did and decided against it. As I said , don't follow xfinity close enough but it left me curious , why Josh Berry, is he that special?
Seems to me they could basically be an extension of Hendrick and a way to keep hot young drivers in the Hendrick/Chevy camp. But as you mentioned their maybe some entanglement issues there with Hendrick. I don't know all the rules regarding that.

Junior doesn't have the Midas touch when it comes to drivers. He's had some misses in the past. Now, admittedly, that was quite a while ago.

Remember Mark McFarland or Shane Huffman?

But, they've stated the problem is a charter, not anything else. Remember what 23XI just paid for a charter? 13.5 million.

Id' kinda add in here.. You know.. There is the rule that if you're in the bottom few for three years straight, you can lose the charter. And since they haven't maxed out a field in the past 3 years or so.. It's not that big a risk to run an unchartered team at the moment.

Old 04-14-2022, 03:11 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Junior doesn't have the Midas touch when it comes to drivers. He's had some misses in the past. Now, admittedly, that was quite a while ago.

Remember Mark McFarland or Shane Huffman?

But, they've stated the problem is a charter, not anything else. Remember what 23XI just paid for a charter? 13.5 million.

Id' kinda add in here.. You know.. There is the rule that if you're in the bottom few for three years straight, you can lose the charter. And since they haven't maxed out a field in the past 3 years or so.. It's not that big a risk to run an unchartered team at the moment.
Really!? Again I dont know what other team owners success rate is but JR... Ive heard at least 2 maybe 3 cup champions say they would not have been there with out him. Maybe not the "Midas" touch but Id say his hits out way his misses for sure. Truex, Keselowski, Elliott, Almirola....
Ok, I know Elliott was a gimme.

Old 04-15-2022, 02:38 AM

5,716 posts, read 4,685,139 times
And there are JR drivers like Mayer who have rides because they have money.

Jr has specifically said on the download that he isn’t paying the kind of money people are asking for charters. I’ll let his words speak for him.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by m1a1mg View Post
And there are JR drivers like Mayer who have rides because they have money.

Jr has specifically said on the download that he isn’t paying the kind of money people are asking for charters. I’ll let his words speak for him.

Yeah.

If they're going to go to Cup, in addition to the other problems discussed.. Hendrick ownership stake, etc, etc..

They need to run a few races before going full time. Get some cars built and tested, etc. Which takes alot of time.

I just honestly think that a charter is the least of their issues at the current point in time, because.. There's just no way I can see that they're going to miss a race. Now, admittedly, they don't get as much money if they don't have a charter.. I suspect that's the biggest reason. Notice how we don't see any real start and park teams anymore? Apparently it's not worth it.

I have to believe if that was worth it, Tommy Baldwin would be out there running his team again.

And.. You know, speaking of Burton brothers crew chiefs.. Whatever happened to Frankie Kerr? Looks like he was actually CC for BJ McLeod and Live Fast last year.

Lord, he's had a rough few years. Car fell on him in '17, he fell off a ladder and looks like shattered his leg a couple of years ago..

Old 04-17-2022, 07:54 AM

6,416 posts, read 3,134,333 times
So, what do you guys think of running a race on Easter Sunday?

I saw a rather lengthy article in my local newspaper's Sports section, this morning, about this. The "interviewee" was Kevin Harvick, and he was pretty vocal about it, and he didn't particularly care for it.....

Old 04-17-2022, 06:29 PM

8,603 posts, read 14,881,270 times
I think the dirt experiment has jumped the shark. The stands, even with the capacity reduction for safety, look really empty. Either race on a real dirt track, or just pull the plug altogether.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:16 PM

8,877 posts, read 13,910,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
I think the dirt experiment has jumped the shark. The stands, even with the capacity reduction for safety, look really empty. Either race on a real dirt track, or just pull the plug altogether.
I read that SMI was bragging that ticket sales surpassed the pre-pandemic levels. Personally, I have no interest in seeing Cup on dirt.

Went to Martinsville last week. Didn't think they could kill that race, but they sure did. What a (freezing cold) snooze fest! We left early (as did many others). First time I ever left a race early since the 70's.

Old 04-17-2022, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post

Did we see a legit pass for the lead that didn't happen on a restart?

I was actually surprised that noone in the booth was sitting there thinking that Kyle was in the right spot. Knew what was coming, it as just a matter of whether they took each other out or was a bump-and-run type situation.

I was just surprised at how close it was. Busch was only 3 seconds back and still BARELY won.

Gotta feel for Reddick. His time will come. Gotta lose a few before you win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Sports > Auto Racing