Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-14-2009, 02:16 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,416,260 times

Advertisements

Depends on the weapon, doesn't it? If he'd pulled out his gun, yes, I would have had an issue with it. If he'd tasered her with no warning, instead of many warnings, I'd have an issue with it. At this point, my issue is with the fact that he let her get past the third warning - that might have given her the idea that, like evidently everyone else in her circle (and no doubt quite a few people here, on the face of it), the police officer was going to back down and let her get away with defying him because she's "old" and should be allowed to behave however badly she wants (including speeding 60 in a 45 - that IS 30% over the speed limit, in a construction zone where not only people in other cars put people on foot who are even more vulnerable could be hurt or killed if she wasn't lucky - some people keep missing that part).

Am I upset if a get a traffic ticket? Yes, I am. Do I blame it all on the officer so that I won't have to take responsibility for my actions? Do I throw a hissy fit. No, I don't; I pull up my big girl panties and act like an adult and acknowledge that it's the predictable consequences of the decision I made to speed, NOT the fault of the officer or of the people who made the traffic law in the first place.

But there are people in the world who think that there should not be consequences; those are the ones who I refer to above, the professional victims and their enablers.

I'm neither conservative nor liberal, but if there's any issue I have with the liberals, it's the persistence of that attitude in their ranks - everyone is a victim and no one should have to take personal responsibility (which attitude, in and of itself, assures that people will become victims, rather than healthy, functioning, adult members of society).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 06:11 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Again I ask, was the constable in danger? Do you really want to give police so much discretion that they can use their weapon simply because someone is mouthing off?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:07 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,700,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The standard for a police officer using a weapon is DANGER. Despite the fact that she was resisting, abusive and absurd, she was not a danger to him. Using a weapon was an abuse of his power.
So, if everyone has this opinion (which I know not everyone does) then should cops just be unarmed? i think that is a serious question.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:09 PM

330 posts, read 937,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
The standard for a police officer using a weapon is DANGER. Despite the fact that she was resisting, abusive and absurd, she was not a danger to him. Using a weapon was an abuse of his power.

Well said !! Also now that this is under public scrutiny what about all the lies this Peace Officer told and put on written official documents....
I hope someone is going to do a full investigation

Old 06-14-2009, 07:11 PM

What about all the lies the lady told? Where are the links saying the cop lied? I might ask you the same question I put to mlassof. Do you also think the cops should just be unarmed? I'm being totally serious here. And I mean completely unarmed ie, no nightsticks, pepper spray, tasers or guns.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:14 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,140,576 times
Default Your question makes no sense

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
So, if everyone has this opinion (which I know not everyone does) then should cops just be unarmed? i think that is a serious question.
Your question makes no sense. No, officers should be armed, but only use their weapons when they or an innocent party are in DANGER. This was a 72 year old woman, mouthing off.

Officers can't use their weapons because someone is being a disrespectful. I don't know how this point can possibly be confused. Weapons are to be used in the case of DANGER.

If this 72 year old woman posed a danger to this constable he would have been justified. I don't see the danger. It's a simple standard.

It has nothing to do with respect, liberals, conservatives, etc. DANGER is the only thing that should lead to an officer using a weapon.

Old 06-14-2009, 07:37 PM

Who's opinion of danger? The cops opinion, the perps opinion, or should a citizen dispatch panel be set up to determine what constitutes a dangerous situation and then give the officer a go ahead on what type of reaction/force/restraint he should use?

Old 06-14-2009, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
What about all the lies the lady told? Where are the links saying the cop lied? I might ask you the same question I put to mlassof. Do you also think the cops should just be unarmed? I'm being totally serious here. And I mean completely unarmed ie, no nightsticks, pepper spray, tasers or guns.

Look at my previous posts.. I have not changed my mind this is Police brutality.. She was unarmed and not posing any threat to this Officer. He used what is considered deadly physical force and he had no justification for using it. He total lack of experience escalated this whole incident and I hope they bring the appropiate charges against him and I of couse feel she needs to pay her fines also

Old 06-14-2009, 07:42 PM

258 posts, read 443,326 times
If you refuse to sign a traffic ticket the police offer has to take your license. Then it becomes illegal for you to drive. So what would you to to a older person that is unreasonable to the law. Shoot them or beat them with a billy club. I would rather be tasered that have pepper spray or mace in my face. That burns the hell out of your eyes and nasal cavities. Guess if he had a police dog he could of let the dog take her down, OW!!! He could of thrown her to the ground like they do criminals, but a older lady would of probably got a broken bone in the process. Put yourself in that situation. You have to follow the law, not what you feel like is right. You are the person that is responsible for upholding the law in the first place. Thank God the police have tasers now!!! The most humane way to incapacitate a person in my opion!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 07:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fomalhaut View Post
If you refuse to sign a traffic ticket the police offer has to take your license. Then it becomes illegal for you to drive. So what would you to to a older person that is unreasonable to the law. Shoot them or beat them with a billy club. I would rather be tasered that have pepper spray or mace in my face. That burns the hell out of your eyes and nasal cavities. Guess if he had a police dog he could of let the dog take her down, OW!!! He could of thrown her to the ground like they do criminals, but a older lady would of probably got a broken bone in the process. Put yourself in that situation. You have to follow the law, not what you feel like is right. You are the person that is responsible for upholding the law in the first place. Thank God the police have tasers now!!! The most humane way to incapacitate a person in my opion!!!!

Why does he have to use violance at all? If he waited for supervision and other offiers to arrive if he still wanted to place her under arrest their presence alone would have been the factor to hancuff her and take her away without her getting hurt.. He used deadly force to effect this arrest and without any justification she was not armed!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin