Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2009, 11:56 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
You are personalizing this situation. This has nothing to do with you or Mexican gang members. Stop personalizing. You are making mountains out of mole hills.

The cop was out of line, and incompetent.

The old lady was within her first amendment rights. She was not read her rights during the arrest either which is against policy.

If she breaks the law there is due process. You are innocent until proven guilty. A confession or non confession cannot be coerced in any way, that is against the law. Due process also includes a person in authority giving the person the freedom to all of their rights to remain silent, to a defense attorney, etc. This is not Nazi Germany. This is the United States of America. They have different processes.
Don't make it all about me. I'm not the only one personalizing this thing. From what I know of Nazis, that woman wouldn't have gotten 9 warnings before action was taken.

You'll never convince me the cop was out of line. I don't feel he was.

How do you know she wasn't read her rights? That wasn't on the video anywhere. Were you there? Anyway, what arrest? He was trying to arrest her and she was playing wiggle worm.

About Nazi's. The shoe can be worn on the other foot. We were not included in the entire exchange from the tasing and beyond so to say something definitely didn't happen is guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2009, 09:04 AM

469 posts, read 1,871,516 times
If she ACTED her age, then she wouldn't have been in this mess. This lady clearly thought that her being a "72 year old woman" meant she was above the law. She got what she deserved.

I find it funny how people are saying this cop is in the wrong, when this lady was CLEARLY being combative and resisting arrest. Had this been a "thug" doing the EXACT samething, I wonder if everybody would be quick to say the cop was wrong?

Point is, no matter who you are, if you are being combative and resisting arrest, you get what you deserved.

Old 06-14-2009, 09:23 AM

326 posts, read 765,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
If she ACTED her age, then she wouldn't have been in this mess. This lady clearly thought that her being a "72 year old woman" meant she was above the law. She got what she deserved.

I find it funny how people are saying this cop is in the wrong, when this lady was CLEARLY being combative and resisting arrest. Had this been a "thug" doing the EXACT samething, I wonder if everybody would be quick to say the cop was wrong?

Point is, no matter who you are, if you are being combative and resisting arrest, you get what you deserved.
Perfectly put! Thank you!

Old 06-14-2009, 09:28 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
Default Where to draw the line?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbguy05 View Post
no matter who you are, if you are being combative and resisting arrest, you get what you deserved.
How about just shooting her?

Yes, her behavior was vulgar and disgusting. However, cops should be trained to deal with this. They shouldn't have to resort to a weapon unless there is danger. It doesn't look like this woman posed my danger aside from hurting the officer's feelings.

If you need a taser to deal with a cursing 72 year old woman, perhaps an exciting career in electronics is a better fit for you.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:02 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,709,663 times
But he didn't shoot her with his sidearm, which tells me he was using some form of restraint in his own behavior.

Old 06-14-2009, 10:26 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
After giving this incident further and careful consideration, I think it would have been cooler if he'd have pepper sprayed her and then bent her over and given her an old fashioned spanking. This woman was clearly behaving like a childish brat. I honestly, but respectfully, can't even understand the logic behind defending her.

Steve

Old 06-14-2009, 10:54 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,841,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
After giving this incident further and careful consideration, I think it would have been cooler if he'd have pepper sprayed her and then bent her over and given her an old fashioned spanking. This woman was clearly behaving like a childish brat. I honestly, but respectfully, can't even understand the logic behind defending her.

Steve
you got it!!!!!

Old 06-14-2009, 11:33 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,434,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve
Yes, she was definitely throwing a temper tantrum and acting like anything but a 72-yyear-old woman. A spanking would have been in order and likely the most appropriate response to the age she was behaving, but then the cop would no doubt have been being yelled at on here for sexual harrassment.

Sheesh, professional victims (and those who enable them by blaming everyone BUT them) make me crazy!

Old 06-14-2009, 01:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,066,732 times
Quote:
Sheesh, professional victims (and those who enable them by blaming everyone BUT them) make me crazy!
Agreed. Would you support a friend or child wanting to go into law enforcement given the hypersensitivity and scrutiny they may be subjected to for just trying to do their job? All while the perpetrator is treated like a victim in the press and by community activists? I wouldn't.

Old 06-14-2009, 01:59 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,149,846 times
The standard for a police officer using a weapon is DANGER. Despite the fact that she was resisting, abusive and absurd, she was not a danger to him. Using a weapon was an abuse of his power.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin