Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2009, 01:16 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,063,046 times

Advertisements

I was eating in Chipotle today and a couple of Austin cops were in there eating also. I walked over and asked if they saw the video of the 72 old lady getting tasered. They had. I asked if they thought she deserved it, and one of them said "definitely" and the other nodded in agreement.

He explained that once you lay hands on someone, the odds of that person getting injured increases greatly, whereas the taser defuses the situation immediately. They both agreed it looks bad on TV no matter what.

So there you have it.

Steve
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2009, 03:24 PM

434 posts, read 1,081,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I was eating in Chipotle today and a couple of Austin cops were in there eating also. I walked over and asked if they saw the video of the 72 old lady getting tasered. They had. I asked if they thought she deserved it, and one of them said "definitely" and the other nodded in agreement.
Did you actually expect them to turn against one of their own? What makes them authorities in deciding whether the 72 yr old woman deserved tasering?

Quote:
He explained that once you lay hands on someone, the odds of that person getting injured increases greatly,
that's not an explanation; that's just an unsubstantiated claim.

injury in arrest mostly follows from vicious, excessive force. In this case the target was an unarmed 72 yr old woman, REPEAT, an UNARMED 72 yr old WOMAN.

if a trained (and much younger) male police officer can't (or doesn't want to) handcuff a 72 yr old woman with moderate force, he should go find some other job.

Quote:
whereas the taser defuses the situation immediately.
A taser gun is not a friggin' toy designed to be used lightly by any lazy, inept or incompetent police officer. Taser guns have killed before. involuntary muscle movement induced by a high voltage device can cause injuries just like any other form of physical force.

Quote:
They both agreed it looks bad on TV no matter what.
that means they both agreed (deep down) that the police officer had acted recklessly. It wouldn't have looked bad if the target had been an armed, vicious big guy threatening to shoot the officer.

So there you have it.

Old 06-19-2009, 03:30 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,423,966 times
I don't necessarily think that the police are authorities on this (though they are definitely more likely to know what they're talking about in this regard than random people under assumed names on a discussion forum ), but frankly, being towards the elderly end of the spectrum myself and knowing what things happen to your body as you get older (things break easier, for one thing), I'd be inclined to listen to the officers if they're saying that it's easy for injury to occur once you have to lay your hands on someone to restrain them (especially in the case of an elderly woman who is clearly up for a fight mentally and emotionally, whatever her body may think of the matter, on the side of the road).

Someone else who holds your viewpoint, austinite45, quoted those police officers who did NOT agree that it was the appropriate thing to do, so do you hold those police officers who agree with you as being equally unreliable sources on this matter? If not, why not?

Old 06-19-2009, 09:00 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,704,369 times
I am of the opinion that there should be a new reality show based in Austin, like wife swap, but it would be regular joe guys and gals being cops for a month. I know I'd watch just to see how much better some of these people could do.

Old 06-20-2009, 10:42 AM

8,949 posts, read 12,143,230 times
Default Wrong Answer to th Wrong Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I asked if they thought she deserved it, and one of them said "definitely" and the other nodded in agreement.
It seems that this discussion has centered around the wrong question. It's not about what she deserved, or whether she need to be taught a lesson. The only question is to whether the police officer was in danger or a member of the public was in danger. That is the only legal justification for a PO to use a weapon. It seems many of you want the police to be able to use weapons because someone deserves a good beatin'. It shouldn't work that way.

By the way, I was in Salt Lake City this week and the lead story on the news was about the police tasering a mentally ill man who was unarmed. The man died. Can you justify this? Walsh: Police search for a defense in death - Salt Lake Tribune

Old 06-20-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
The only question is to whether the police officer was in danger or a member of the public was in danger. That is the only legal justification for a PO to use a weapon.
Agreed. So then the question becomes one of whether or not a recalcitrant, disobedient member of the public, who is refusing to follow repeated instructions and warnings from a peace officer imposes a threat upon that officer and/or the public.

Some of us feel that in this case, she was creating a dangerous situation that needed to be dealt with before it escalated further. You and others don't believe that the situation had yet risen to the level of danger that justifies use of a taser. On that we can agree to disagree.

Interestingly, this question is a microcosm of how and when we decide to go to war. The "let's keep talking and try to reason this out" vesus "it's time to take definitive action, now" debate. I don't think there can ever be a point at which everyone agrees within these shaded, grey areas.

Steve

Last edited by austin-steve; 06-20-2009 at 11:28 AM..

Old 09-30-2009, 09:39 AM

Looks like Granny might get some money out of this. She wants $135K, County has offered $40K "firm". I hope she turns it down and goes to trial so we can get a decided outcome. The County, however, probably views the $40K settlement as cheaper than winning in court.

County makes offer to Tasered 72-year-old (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/09/30/0930taser.html - broken link)

Old 09-30-2009, 09:45 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Moral of the story...don't dare someone to taser you.....

Old 09-30-2009, 10:25 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,473,034 times
Or do...

Old 09-30-2009, 11:06 AM

15,269 posts, read 35,653,691 times
Yeah, good point
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin