Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-30-2009, 05:24 PM

434 posts, read 1,087,819 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
Looks like Granny might get some money out of this. She wants $135K, County has offered $40K "firm". I hope she turns it down and goes to trial so we can get a decided outcome.
does she have the money to move forward? if she doesn't, will her attorney be willing to work pro bono or take the case on reduced or contingent fees?

Quote:
The County, however, probably views the $40K settlement as cheaper than winning in court.

County makes offer to Tasered 72-year-old (http://www.statesman.com/news/content/news/stories/local/2009/09/30/0930taser.html - broken link)
you mean 'cheaper than losing in court', don't you?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2009, 08:11 PM

434 posts, read 1,087,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by another_hot-day View Post
Or do...
it wouldn't hurt to do a little research on the number of moronic/incompetent police officers like the one here, find out their patrol schedules and meet them on the streets after a few bottle of beers ... and DARE them to taser you.

beat the hell out of collecting unemployment insurance.

find out the name of the lawyer representing the 72-yr old.

Old 10-01-2009, 10:05 AM

2,722 posts, read 5,498,895 times
exactly

Old 10-06-2009, 04:11 PM

658 posts, read 2,017,459 times
I was just in a restaurant and talking to a police officer about this lady. He said she got paid $40,000 and I thought she should have gotten nothing. Then he said this same woman had been stopped twice before and just driven off. Now I know why she was trying to get back in her pickup.

Old 10-06-2009, 04:25 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,156,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post
I was just in a restaurant and talking to a police officer about this lady. He said she got paid $40,000 and I thought she should have gotten nothing. Then he said this same woman had been stopped twice before and just driven off. Now I know why she was trying to get back in her pickup.
Yep, she took the settlement offer. So she's stupid, but not that stupid.

It would cost us taxpayers more than $40K to take her to court and win, so this was a fiscally sound decision but not emotionally gratifying for those of us who would have liked to see all the facts, for better or worse, come out at trial. And for those of us who would have liked to see the officer at least have his chance of being vindicated.

Steve

Old 10-06-2009, 05:17 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,834,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibbar View Post

Too bad they won't just take her license away next time she tries to renew it.

Old 10-06-2009, 05:51 PM

786 posts, read 2,775,529 times
Doesn't she still have to face her criminal charges? Or does this mean they were dropped? I still think she is criminally at fault even though the cop let it get out of hand.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:12 PM

4 posts, read 10,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by iceshots View Post
Doesn't she still have to face her criminal charges? Or does this mean they were dropped? I still think she is criminally at fault even though the cop let it get out of hand.
Check the papers. It's up to the DA, I think.

Old 10-06-2009, 06:19 PM

4 posts, read 10,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnappyBob View Post
I saw the footage last night on the news. Personaly, I think they both should be ashamed of themselves. The woman was being very combative and I think she should have been cuffed and arrested for such but I think it could have been done without the taser. Tasering someone is not a trivial thing. People have been known to die from it. Tasers were first touted as being a good tool to use instead of leathal force. So are we to assume that without the advent of tasers he would have been forced to shoot this lady? She should be fined for her behaviour and he should be given some time off without pay for his. If you can't handle a 72 years old woman without first paylizing her with a taser perhaps you need to find some tamer line of work.
Totally agree.

Old 10-07-2009, 08:47 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,156,240 times
Here is a good article in the Oak Hill Gazette updating the story.
Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin