Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 12:59 PM

7 posts, read 27,802 times

Advertisements

Everyone seems to forget that the officer told the lady to step back OR HE WOULD TASE HER. She didnt listen. She was combative. Also does anyone remember of the DPS Trooper a few years back that was killed by a 75 year old man because he didnt want a ticket. How in the world would the officer know that the woman didnt have a gun? The woman should have just signed the ticket and then let her arguments be heard in court. Isnt that what the court system was invented for in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM

434 posts, read 1,083,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausken View Post
Everyone seems to forget that the officer told the lady to step back OR HE WOULD TASE HER.
That's NOT sufficient ground for tasering a person. Police officers don't get to issue any warnings they want and follow through. Think a little deeper ... what if the officer had shot the 72-old woman dead after warning her "step back or I'll kill you"???

Quote:
She didnt listen. She was combative.
and drunk!

Quote:
Also does anyone remember of the DPS Trooper a few years back that was killed by a 75 year old man because he didnt want a ticket.
sorry, "not wanting a ticket" can't kill anybody.

Quote:
How in the world would the officer know that the woman didnt have a gun?
how in the world would any officer know any person didn't have a gun? so police officers can just shoot any suspect based on such idiotic reasoning?

Quote:
The woman should have just signed the ticket and then let her arguments be heard in court. Isnt that what the court system was invented for in the first place?
that's weird. Using your previous "logic", the officer should simply have shot and killed the suspect on the basis that there is no way to know whether the suspect was unarmed. Isn't that what the gun was invented (and provided) for?

Last edited by austinite45; 10-08-2009 at 01:55 PM..

Old 10-08-2009, 02:55 PM

3 posts, read 8,313 times
Default taser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry3911948 View Post
when is the last time you saw someone approve of the methods of an arrest by police of a violent offender. a few months back, i saw 30 cops try to take down gently a gangbanger at the trolley.
he was trying to hit his head on the black and white so he could file a law suit and assaulting the officers the entire time screaming police brutality the entire time, the cops never touched him i watched the whole thing.
tell me how its done --- in a gentle manner --non violent arrest of the violent go ahead im listening. when is the last time you saw anybody on CDF approve of any police action, ever. resident felons post here alot.
I DO NOT APPROVE OF THE OLD LADY getting tased and I do not belong to any organization get real!!!!

Old 10-08-2009, 03:22 PM

8 posts, read 20,580 times
Default Not buying "I'm a Grandmother" defense

I think the situation might have been handled better. However, the police officer had instructed the "72 year old grandmother" to place her hands behind her back. She was under arrest. She did not cooperate with the arresting officer. They were next to a busy road. So yes I think she endangered both her's and the officer's well being. The officer had already appraised her that he would use his taser. He also gave her multiple opportunities to cooperate.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:08 AM

13 posts, read 22,985 times
The lady was combative, period. She ignored the officer's requests multiple times, and she acted crazy & erratic. IMO, her behavior forced the officer to take whatever action that he deemed necessary to control her.
I'm not saying that tazing was the best option, but it was her own fault that any kind of force was used.

It pisses me off that they are offering her a settlement!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin