Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 08:12 AM

67 posts, read 172,574 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

I'm recently divorced, and looking to relocate from Reno, Nevada to somewhere more cosmopolitan with an (ahem) deeper dating pool of suitable men.

On my "short list" are Dallas and Austin, Texas and Tampa and Palm Beach County, Florida.

I'm graduate-school educated, cultured, love architecture, art, and design and looking for someone similar. So chances of finding Looooove in Austin? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for all your replies...

Besos,
Pilar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 08:48 AM

247 posts, read 561,446 times
Austin. Though either come with $$ or a job.

Old 04-27-2012, 08:54 AM

7,746 posts, read 15,226,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
Hi All,

I'm recently divorced, and looking to relocate from Reno, Nevada to somewhere more cosmopolitan with an (ahem) deeper dating pool of suitable men.

On my "short list" are Dallas and Austin, Texas and Tampa and Palm Beach County, Florida.

I'm graduate-school educated, cultured, love architecture, art, and design and looking for someone similar. So chances of finding Looooove in Austin? Any other thoughts?

Besos,
Pilar
it only takes one. I would say austin has a lot of high tech and high tech related people, maybe not as artsy and cultured as you would want. But, since people are from everywhere you can find all kinds. There is a pretty big party scene so a lot of guys arent willing to commit until their early 30's. We know a lot of cute, educated women in their late twenties/early thirties who have had problems finding guys to settle down with.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:45 AM

9,249 posts, read 26,800,122 times
I would pick Dallas over Austin as it's a much larger city with more amenities.

Old 04-27-2012, 11:14 AM

1,445 posts, read 3,282,001 times
Austin is a good city for singles and people who like to party. Dallas hands down for quality of life (for mature people) Avoid Florida at all costs. Have you checked out Denver?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
Hi All,

Besos,
Pilar

Old 04-27-2012, 01:17 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,326,586 times
OP - At first I was tempted to say Austin is not an obviously cosmopolitan city like New York, LA, or Paris and Sydney. We don't have renowned museums nor famous buildings like NY's Chrysler building.

But your short list of cities includes nothing like the traditional "world class" cities.

There are MANY educated people in Austin. Some of it due to UT. But Austin is a professional town - not a blue collar or working town. Lots of its business is driven by brains - software, hardware, semiconductors, social networking, etc. I think the city is more educated nerd than educated preppie.

Add that it is a state capitol which adds its own mix of personalities. I have no data to prove it but I think there are lots of lawyers in Austin.

Since you're in Reno I have to believe that Austin would feel vastly different and "cool" compared to Nevada's #2 gambling city.

You should come down for a visit and see for yourself.

Old 04-27-2012, 02:41 PM

1,697 posts, read 3,642,240 times
You might also check out Houston

Houston Hotels, Events, Things to Do - Official Vacation Info - Visit Houston Texas

Greater Houston Partnership | Advocacy for Houston's Business Community | GHP

Old 04-27-2012, 04:03 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,891,150 times
So are you also looking for a home and job or just a man ?

Old 04-27-2012, 04:44 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,624,079 times
Austin is a great city for the arts, and a great city for singles.

Aside from the obvious and celebrated live music scene, with over 200 live performances every weekend:

Live theater is abundant in Austin, with several large venues, several medium sized venues, and a ton of small theater and dance and improv and puppetry and cirque troops. On any given weekend one has a choice of a dozen or more live theater performances, plus periodic symphony and opera works.

Fine art is thriving in Austin. At the high end The Blanton Art Museum offers a permanent collection of modern art centered around the renowned James Michener collection, a deep collection of prints in rotating display, a special competancy in Modern Art from Latin America, and excellent special curated exhibits. They also do great monthly mixer activities, like Yoga in the Galleries, and the b-Scene, a consistently great cocktail party. In addition AMOA, Austin Museum of Art + ArtHouse have two facilities, one in a downtown building, one in a historic residence NW of downtown.

In addition, there is a very well attended Art Tour every fall called EAST - East Austin Studio Tour, at which over 60 artists and art collectives open their studios for two weekends of showings and parties and receptions that is a lot of fun. And now, this weekend, after 10 years of EAST, they're premiering WEST, for the artists on the west side.

Film is big here, not just showings and screenings, but all kinds of peripheral activities, like script readings and writer's workshops and actor/director workshops and mixers, almost all of which are open to public attendance. Great places to mingle with creative folks.

And there's more. Two great resources to check out what kind of things are going on here are:

The entertainment section of the Austin Statesman Austin TX entertainment, events, food, movies, music | Austin360.com

The alternative paper, The Austin Chronicle Austin News, Events, Restaurants, Music - The Austin Chronicle

Old 04-27-2012, 05:10 PM

7,228 posts, read 16,192,412 times
I second the recommendation of Houston!

But you may want something different, I cannot imagine any reason to ever live in Tampa or Palm Beach County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: