Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 05:38 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,055,630 times

Advertisements

For your wants I'd also recommend Houston over Dallas if you look in addition to Austin.

The FL places, I would probably not suggest at this time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2012, 07:09 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
One thing to consider is the size of the cities mentioned relative to what you're used to. Size has a lot to do with the quality of life.

Austin is about 3X the size of Reno

Houston is about 10X the size of Reno

Dallas is about 6X the size of Reno, and the Metroplex is about 30X the size of Reno

Old 04-28-2012, 12:03 PM

75 posts, read 282,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PilarDLS View Post
...cultured, love architecture, art, and design and looking for someone similar. So chances of finding Looooove in Austin? Any other thoughts?

Thanks for all your replies...

Besos,
Pilar
Judging by your preferences, I would recommend Dallas or Houston. Here is my reasoning:

-Dallas has more cultured art. I lived in Dallas for most of my life, and was able to access fantastic operas, classical music venues, and the Dallas Museum of Art is breathtaking. Austin has very decent museums, but in my view, has been relatively lacking in the "high art" department--in contrast, there is a much greater and more robust variety of independent works, such as films and music. For example, you will find both SXSW and ACL at Austin.
-Dallas is more "high-rise" in style. This is not to say that it's more expensive (it isn't) or has a lower number of financially struggling individuals (I don't think it does), but the lifestyle itself is less relaxed in comparison to Austin. Austin is generally more open and friendlier than Dallas in my experience. You will find areas of Austin that pay attention to your car or home, but this is much less frequent than in Dallas. With that said, I think you should do a bit of introspection to determine which of these best suits your lifestyle wishes in the future.
-Austin has more partying individuals. If you are into bars and nightclubs, this may sway you to Austin. There are also fantastic independent restaurants in Austin, which I am not able to find as easily in Dallas.

This is simply my view, and I may be looking in the wrong places to find certain things in both cities.

Old 04-28-2012, 01:16 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,447,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UTBabyGirl View Post
Judging by your preferences, I would recommend Dallas or Houston. Here is my reasoning...
Funny, from reading your comments i would definitely pick Austin.

Hey, while everyone talks about SXSW and ACL Fest (as well they should, since both have become world-class events) there are also many other events, like Fronterafest, the five-week long theater festival which has become one of the premiere fringe theater events in the country http://www.fronterafest.org/site/index.html

And Fusebox, the annual two-week long dance, arts, and performance festival going on right now!
http://www.fuseboxfestival.com/

Not to mention, today is the 49th annual Eeyore's Birthday Party in Pease Park. Gotta love a city that continues to have a very well attended hippie party every spring, where folks of all ages break out their tie-dyes and rainbow wigs and body paint and just let their freak-flags fly for old times sake. Live music and big drum circles and a maypole for the kids and tasty food and beer stands run as fundraisers by various charities. Kids (AND adults!) running around in pink tutus and sparkly wings blowing bubbles. Pure smiles, all the way. http://www.eeyores.org/

And the "Keep Austin Weird" 5K to benefit the Austin Parks Foundation, in which costume points are as important as run times. http://www.keepaustinweird5k.com/

And there are lots more. Something is always happening in Austin.

Last edited by OpenD; 04-28-2012 at 01:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: