Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2012, 01:45 PM

14 posts, read 17,060 times

Advertisements

I'm planning to move from Washington DC to Austin this summer, probably sometime in late July. I'll probably head out there in June to take a look at a few different apartments, but besides that I'm moving there sight unseen. So I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding a few questions I have about the area:

What are the average utility bills? I see that electricity is inexpensive, but what about internet, cable, water, etc?

What is traffic like on workdays? On weekends?

Is the city in general walking friendly, or is a car required to get to most locations?

Are there any neighborhoods with good walking access to food, art, and entertainment that offer single bedroom apartments in the 400-600 price range?

What are the gas prices there?

I've seen Austin's nightlife described as "vibrant," but is it mostly confined to one area or scattered across the city? Is it very noisy?

To give you some background, I'm a freelance graphic designer in my late 20's with no children, and I'm looking to live in a location in or near the city that requires minimal driving to reach dining, art, and entertainment. Ideally I'd like a place whose primary residents aren't college students. I've aged past my tolerance for that kind of craziness.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2012, 10:32 AM

5,869 posts, read 11,930,600 times
See my answers below. One area you might consider is the East side. There are some neighborhoods there being revitalized and there's a burgeoning art community there as well. Do a search in the Austin forum for East+Austin and you'll find some previous threads that might help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerousBeans View Post
I'm planning to move from Washington DC to Austin this summer, probably sometime in late July. I'll probably head out there in June to take a look at a few different apartments, but besides that I'm moving there sight unseen. So I was wondering if anyone could help me regarding a few questions I have about the area:

What are the average utility bills? I see that electricity is inexpensive, but what about internet, cable, water, etc?

You can get an internet/basic cable bundle for under $100. Water rates vary greatly- best to ask when looking for apartments.

What is traffic like on workdays? On weekends?

Traffic is problematic in Austin. Too little road infrastructure combined with rapid growth have made rush hour painful. Fortunately, off peak hours is not that bad.

Is the city in general walking friendly, or is a car required to get to most locations?

Compared to DC - Austin is not walkable at all. You need a car to live here and enjoy the best the area has to offer.

Are there any neighborhoods with good walking access to food, art, and entertainment that offer single bedroom apartments in the 400-600 price range?

Occupancy is exceptionally high right now and 1 bedrooms in the suburbs are going for $750/month. You might be able to find a very tiny studio in town for that, but expect the areas that are walkable and with good access to the things you want to be much higher and hard to find.

What are the gas prices there?

Regular is about $3.40/gallon right now.

I've seen Austin's nightlife described as "vibrant," but is it mostly confined to one area or scattered across the city? Is it very noisy?

Downtown is where most of the nightlife is centered, but you can also find pockets of it in other areas. I would describe downtown on weekends to be somewhat noisy, but mostly it's a quiet city overall.

To give you some background, I'm a freelance graphic designer in my late 20's with no children, and I'm looking to live in a location in or near the city that requires minimal driving to reach dining, art, and entertainment. Ideally I'd like a place whose primary residents aren't college students. I've aged past my tolerance for that kind of craziness.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
View detailed profiles of: