Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2009, 05:06 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,834,004 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Which in my opinion falls safely within her 1st amendment rights.
But almost right after that she was trying to get back to her car. The officer was not out of line, as far as I have heard, to restrain her from the moment of her first refusal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2009, 05:08 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,173,675 times
It does fall under the 1st amendment rights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Which in my opinion falls safely within her 1st amendment rights.

Old 06-11-2009, 05:29 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,834,004 times
First amendment doesn't say anything about yelling at cops and resisting arrest.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:41 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,411,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by love roses View Post
First amendment doesn't say anything about yelling at cops and resisting arrest.
I guess it's just a matter of time that for the children we get rid of the first amendment, anyway.

Old 06-11-2009, 06:56 PM

1,667 posts, read 4,731,650 times
She was 100% wrong. At 72, she should know how to act with a police officer. I almost think she might have some kind of a mental problem though.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:06 PM

25,146 posts, read 54,173,675 times
So what if she was wrong or rude. The cop was out of line and abusing his power with her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizzySWW View Post
She was 100% wrong. At 72, she should know how to act with a police officer. I almost think she might have some kind of a mental problem though.

Old 06-11-2009, 07:38 PM

77,770 posts, read 105,650,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
So what if she was wrong or rude. The cop was out of line and abusing his power with her.
why do you say that? He was the authority, she was wrong, it is pretty cut and dry...and remember, I am a 72 year old gal.

Nita

Old 06-11-2009, 08:10 PM

718 posts, read 2,370,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
What did he do to abuse his power with her? Smack her, slam her to the ground, slam her against the truck, break her arm? No, he tased an unruly and abusive person who has refused to obey his numerous verbal commands.(Her age, stature and sex should not be brought into the equation!)

Old 06-11-2009, 08:37 PM

3,787 posts, read 7,049,736 times
I'll admit, some of your replies are a bit scary. I bet your jury trials are interesting.

*shudder*

Old 06-11-2009, 08:58 PM

330 posts, read 942,635 times
[quote=CptnRn;9247635]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasHorseLady View Post

<< With the exception of the shouting at her and relatively gently pushing her initially,>>

I don't see any gentle pushing, I see violent shoving.

<<he appeared to be calm (if speaking loudly, and in that situation, with that traffic, I can certainly understand that - he raised his voice no more than she did, come to that), he appeared to be in control of his emotions>>

He appeared to me to be emotionally out of control from the moment he pulled her car door open and told her to get out.

<<He did throw down the ticketbook, but that appeared to be to get it out of the way while he took out his handcuffs and attempted to handcuff her.>>

He also threw his handcuffs to the ground in frustration after one brief inept attempt to handcuff her.

<<To use the kind of force that would have been required in order to get that particularly "little old lady" to comply with being handcuffed would, again, have had you shouting about police brutality, as well. >>

Not true, I would completely believe that is what he should have done, and could have done if he were more competent.

<< She was uncooperative and belligerant and throwing a tantrum, and if you're so concerned about her being 72, remember that a bone could have broken with the amount of force needed to get her to comply with the handcuffs.>>

I seriously doubt it. But even if it had, broken bones are not as life threatening as a heart attack which the taser could have easily triggered.

Although given the incompetence of this particular officer, he probably would have broken her neck. I do not believe he should have let her get back in her car and drive away in that outraged emotional state. But there is no excuse for his being unable to restrain her and put her under arrest without using a taser.

<<What speaks loudest in all of this, though, is how forthcoming she was with her side of the story and how everything in the report was lies right up until the point that she became aware that there was video evidence. At that point, she suddenly becomes silent and invisible. That speaks volumes right there, combined with what she said before the tape came out and the tape itself.>>

That does not speak loudly of anything. I'm sure that is nothing more then her lawyer advising her that she should not make any more public statements. That is her right to remain silent.

What does speak loudly is that the video evidence proves that the official statements made by the Constable was a pack of lies, and an obvious attempt at a cover up. That is unforgivable.

Through out much of my career I have worked closely with the Austin Police Department on numerous projects, in addition my brother's entire career has been in law enforcement, from positions as patrol cop, undercover narcotics, swat team, murder detective and advanced positions in the state police. I am very sympathetic to the difficulties they face, but I am also familar with what competent professional police work is like.

This constable deputy was incompetent and totally mismanaged the situation.

You have absolutely hit on every point and I agree-- I hope the feds now look into his falsifying official police reports with his lies and investigate him for civil rights violation
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > Austin