Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-10-2017, 12:36 PM

14,831 posts, read 7,479,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The issue isn't Democrats voting for someone else. The issue is Democrats not voting period. Ossoff is the problem. How on earth could this be the best candidate we could put out there? Anyone with a pulse would have this thing wrapped up.
Not voting is the problem. Saying he isn't the perfect candidate for you is one thing, deciding not to vote at all is stupid. If you don't vote then you don't get a say in how your government runs and you lose the right to complain imo.

Old 04-10-2017, 12:51 PM

859 posts, read 2,128,786 times
I'm curious as to what Democrats want to specifically hear from Jon Ossoff? Who else would you have rather run for the post?

Before writing this I just looked at the websites for Levell, Handel, Moody, and Ossoff, (those with the most name recognition) Three of them outline what they are for and against and what they would push for if elected to Congress (Bruce nothing to speak of, basically if you love Trump I'm your guy.)

If one were to ONLY look at the 30 sec commercials everyone is running this yes one could conclude all Ossoff is good for are truisms.

Ossoff: "Corruption is Bad, ISIS is Bad"

With that same logic both Handel and Moody would be guilty as well of being "empty suits"

Handel: "Nancy Pelosi is bad for America, Pelosi supports Ossoff, therefore Ossoff is bad for America"

Moody: "Not my first choice... but I'm eager to work with Trump"

Bruce Levell : "Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ"

As I said before, let's do a little research on our own folks, and stop relying on the sound bits. Did anyone even watch the latest debate I linked to a couple of days ago post #121? It starts around minute 16. After watching it I think I would vote for Ossoff then Ron Slotin. Ron, who I didn't even know was running (that should tell you something) found out served in the gold dome during the 90's and sponsored bills, partisan and bi-partisan that I also support. Would never have known that flipping the Boob-Tube.

If I were forced to choose which Republican I could stomach the most it would be David Abroms then a distant second would be Dan Moody. At least it seems from this debate they know what the word bi-partisan means.

Are any of the candidates perfect? of course not and frankly I think some of us could do a much better job at articulating our viewpoints than most of them, but I get it, public speaking for some is a big fear...point is, I'm not running and unless someone has something they want to reveal, no one reading this post is either. Let's not waste IMO a golden opportunity to elect someone that won't rubber stamp the policies of this idiot in the White House because they don't check off every single box.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:21 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,948,521 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
I'm curious as to what Democrats want to specifically hear from Jon Ossoff? Who else would you have rather run for the post?

Before writing this I just looked at the websites for Levell, Handel, Moody, and Ossoff, (those with the most name recognition) Three of them outline what they are for and against and what they would push for if elected to Congress (Bruce nothing to speak of, basically if you love Trump I'm your guy.)

If one were to ONLY look at the 30 sec commercials everyone is running this yes one could conclude all Ossoff is good for are truisms.

Ossoff: "Corruption is Bad, ISIS is Bad"

With that same logic both Handel and Moody would be guilty as well of being "empty suits"

Handel: "Nancy Pelosi is bad for America, Pelosi supports Ossoff, therefore Ossoff is bad for America"

Moody: "Not my first choice... but I'm eager to work with Trump"

Bruce Levell : "Trump is the second coming of Jesus Christ"

As I said before, let's do a little research on our own folks, and stop relying on the sound bits. Did anyone even watch the latest debate I linked to a couple of days ago post #121? It starts around minute 16. After watching it I think I would vote for Ossoff then Ron Slotin. Ron, who I didn't even know was running (that should tell you something) found out served in the gold dome during the 90's and sponsored bills, partisan and bi-partisan that I also support. Would never have known that flipping the Boob-Tube.

If I were forced to choose which Republican I could stomach the most it would be David Abroms then a distant second would be Dan Moody. At least it seems from this debate they know what the word bi-partisan means.

Are any of the candidates perfect? of course not and frankly I think some of us could do a much better job at articulating our viewpoints than most of them, but I get it, public speaking for some is a big fear...point is, I'm not running and unless someone has something they want to reveal, no one reading this post is either. Let's not waste IMO a golden opportunity to elect someone that won't rubber stamp the policies of this idiot in the White House because they don't check off every single box.
Agree with everything you said except the part about Slotin. At an early forum for all of the Dem candidates, Slotin went after Ossoff very angrily. It was jolting to see an experienced politician behave like that and the crowd turned on him. Slotin could have made his points in a very different way, but he just came off as bitter and frustrated at the funding and attention Ossoff was getting. Ossoff responded in a very respectful, logical, calm, factual manner. That was when I knew I could support Ossoff.

Old 04-10-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronricks View Post
The issue isn't Democrats voting for someone else. The issue is Democrats not voting period. Ossoff is the problem. How on earth could this be the best candidate we could put out there? Anyone with a pulse would have this thing wrapped up.
Dem turnout is great so far.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:02 PM

859 posts, read 2,128,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Agree with everything you said except the part about Slotin. At an early forum for all of the Dem candidates, Slotin went after Ossoff very angrily. It was jolting to see an experienced politician behave like that and the crowd turned on him. Slotin could have made his points in a very different way, but he just came off as bitter and frustrated at the funding and attention Ossoff was getting. Ossoff responded in a very respectful, logical, calm, factual manner. That was when I knew I could support Ossoff.
That's good to know. That helps to inform me even more about the candidates, and that's something I would most likely never know just listening to talk radio or watching snippets on the news. Kudos to you JOinGA for actually giving a darn and attending a forum.

I know people are busy with work, kids and just life in general but I think it's so important to go to events when possible and voice our opinion to people who actually craft bills that could possibly affect our daily lives. I know it can be cathartic to go back and forth debating on C-D but at the very least besides actually voting we all can write an e-mail or pick up the phone and tell our reps how we feel and that if they vote a certain way they can forget about a matching donation this year or worse our vote. It's time to let your elected officials know who you are and not every two or four years. Time to be the squeaky wheel Georgia.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:29 AM

376 posts, read 333,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Any Dem is going to be better than any Republican in this race in aligning with my values. Any Dem who votes other than Ossoff must have forgotten who we just elected President because of the Dems who wouldn't vote for Clinton, the only person who had a chance to win. Ossoff is the only Dem with a chance to win. What will be truly sad is if any true Democrat or progressive throws this chance away.
Oh I'll be voting for him but I won't be excited about it. His campaign commercials are as bland as oatmeal.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:33 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,272,915 times
He needs to spice things up for all those fire-breathing leftists in Milton.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:34 AM

32,068 posts, read 37,068,188 times
It looks like Ossoff may be the right guy to get something done for the 6th.

We've had hard right Republicans in this seat as long as I can remember and it has brought us nothing but gridlock.

Old 04-11-2017, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLHRLGUY View Post
That's good to know. That helps to inform me even more about the candidates, and that's something I would most likely never know just listening to talk radio or watching snippets on the news. Kudos to you JOinGA for actually giving a darn and attending a forum.

I know people are busy with work, kids and just life in general but I think it's so important to go to events when possible and voice our opinion to people who actually craft bills that could possibly affect our daily lives. I know it can be cathartic to go back and forth debating on C-D but at the very least besides actually voting we all can write an e-mail or pick up the phone and tell our reps how we feel and that if they vote a certain way they can forget about a matching donation this year or worse our vote. It's time to let your elected officials know who you are and not every two or four years. Time to be the squeaky wheel Georgia.

You are SO right. There is a new wave of citizen involvement and I hope it can be sustained.

Old 04-11-2017, 04:32 PM

643 posts, read 575,953 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
It looks like Ossoff may be the right guy to get something done for the 6th.

We've had hard right Republicans in this seat as long as I can remember and it has brought us nothing but gridlock.
Gridlock at the Federal level is not a bad thing.

Every time there is consensus (either left or right) it ends up costing us a ton of money either in entitlement plans (ACA, expanded Medicare, etc) or defense spending. Hell, the past few years with sequestration and budget cuts were great. NO NEW SPENDING on stupid ****. The less the government decides to spend, the more of my money I get to keep and control my own money.

Gridlock saves money and I'm a fan of that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta