Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2017, 07:42 AM

23,496 posts, read 44,167,340 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
What do you expect him to say in a 30 second commercial? I'm not seeing substantive statements from any candidate in their ads. I never have, and neither have you, but somehow it's a problem now, and only for this candidate.
No, it's always a problem. Political ads have been designed to speak to the lowest common denominator since I can remember. And if you think I was pointing my finger solely at Ossoff's campaign, read again; I don't find the Republican ads any better.
And 30 seconds to me is plenty of time to give me 4 or 5 succinct and summary bullets to convey your platform and how it distinguishes you from your opponent. But studies have apparently shown that it's far more effective to engage in nebulous attack ads.
I guess in retrospect my contempt is for the American voter.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:51 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,315,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
No, it's always a problem. Political ads have been designed to speak to the lowest common denominator since I can remember. And if you think I was pointing my finger solely at Ossoff's campaign, read again; I don't find the Republican ads any better.
And 30 seconds to me is plenty of time to give me 4 or 5 succinct and summary bullets to convey your platform and how it distinguishes you from your opponent. But studies have apparently shown that it's far more effective to engage in nebulous attack ads.
I guess in retrospect my contempt is for the American voter.
I wasn't even responding to you, unless you have a second account under the name MikeHonchoATL.

Ossoff hasn't run an attack ad, that I'm aware of. He has run ads where, for example, he states that he used his experience as a documentary filmmaker to root out and expose corruption. Granted, that's a bit vague, but it's far more substantive than "ISIS BAD!", which is the willfully ignorant and cartoonish way you and others have been portraying him.

Old 04-07-2017, 07:58 AM

643 posts, read 572,635 times
Quote:
I wasn't even responding to you, unless you have a second account under the name MikeHonchoATL.

Ossoff hasn't run an attack ad, that I'm aware of. He has run ads where, for example, he states that he used his experience as a documentary filmmaker to root out and expose corruption. Granted, that's a bit vague, but it's far more substantive than "ISIS BAD!", which is the willfully ignorant and cartoonish way you and others have been portraying him.
Who could forget the hard hitting "I think corruption is like totally not good, you guys" ad.

Wow. The moral courage to take money from big money out of state donors and spread this controversial message on every other TV commercial. What an amazing boy!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:09 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Who could forget the hard hitting "I think corruption is like totally not good, you guys" ad.

Wow. The moral courage to take money from big money out of state donors and spread this controversial message on every other TV commercial. What an amazing boy!
So you're sticking with cartoon land? This is what willful ignorance looks like. ^^

Show me a more substantive ad from any of his opponents, and I'll concede that you have a valid point.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:12 AM

643 posts, read 572,635 times
Quote:
So you're sticking with cartoon land? This is what willful ignorance looks like. ^^

Show me a more substantive ad from any of his opponents, and I'll concede that you have a valid point.
Did you know that he is a foreign policy expert?

I mean, he had a TS clearance for like 5 months. What a badass!

Old 04-07-2017, 08:22 AM

Quote:

Yes, I know you weren't, and the snarky tone of your comment is entirely unworthy of you.

#1 Trump attack. The fashionable thing to do these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4m9nvdo-25w

#2 Trump attack

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHFCkeSrsM

#3 Trump bad. Portraying himself as this Warrior (complete with Han Solo getup LOL) would seem to be all he's got and is used to deflect his lack of depth and experience. Does anyone really believe this guy is going to be effective in undermining Trump's agenda? Well, besides John Lewis, of course.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_VaW17Jqwls

#4 Isis Bad. A real 'no-lose' here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9uFM0kBp2WE

#5 Ossoff. Jon Ossoff. Shaken, not stirred.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zUDxIJqY0AU

And like I said, the Republican ads are no better by any means.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:28 AM
JPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Portraying himself as this Warrior (complete with Han Solo getup LOL) .
This is how you lose.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:31 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,323,695 times
Quote:

Don't bother. I've posted the republicans stances over and over, and asked MikeHonchoATL to explain what about them he likes. And what policies of Ossoff he dislikes. He ignores it. All he can do is attack the 30 second ad clips he sees on TV, evidently that's the deepest research he's done on any of the candidates.

Old 04-07-2017, 08:36 AM

Quote:
This is how you lose.
Sorry, couldn't resist. And I thought that ad sucked as well. Who among us hasn't acted the fool in college? In my day we were lucky to have been spared the glare of social media. My political career would have been torpedoed by my freshman year tequila-fueled naked roller skating escapade.

Old 04-07-2017, 10:01 AM

4,577 posts, read 5,676,485 times
Sorry, but Ossoff just grates on my last nerve. The puffed-up resume' about his security clearance and experience is just silly, and the fact that people are taking this at face value is an excellent example off appealing to low-information voters who only get their info from a left-leaning media. And, frankly, the fact that he was an "advisor" to Hank "Will Guam Tip Over?" and "Jewish settlers are termites" Johnson, makes me even more skeptical as to his qualifications.

As a part-time legislative correspondent for Johnson, he basically answered letters/emails from constituents in his district, may have sat in on a few meetings on bills having to do with his areas of responsibility, and done research for that legislation. As a senior legislative assistant, he would have more responsibility for overseeing bills and legislative efforts in several areas, but again, under the direction of a legislative director. He left the staff to run re-election campaigns (you can't work as a staffer paid by the House of Representatives and campaign at the same time), so he was back and forth as a staffer. He left Johnson's office in August 2012. (Ironically, in 2014, Johnson was voted "Most Clueless" and "Worst Speaker" by congressional staffers, in a poll that The Washingtonian conducts every couple of years.)

Lately, he says he's been making documentaries about third-world problems ("producing" is not nitty-gritty research, BTW,, it's organizing and overseeing funding) --(and being paid $5,000 by Al-Jazeera "the mouthpiece of terrorists".) He's also been touting that the company he is "managing director and CEO" of (Insight TWI) has won "numerous awards" -- well, again true, but not through his efforts, apparently -- awards like Emmys, in 2001, when he was about 13-14 years old? Yeah -- no. He did not create this film company, as he has implied -- it's been around for a while, and he makes about $34,000 a year from it. So he took a bit of a pay-cut, since a senior legislative assistant for a congressman makes between $35-$50K a year. :-) Plus, he was late filing his required financial disclosures.

This is the kind of puffery that, when exposed, makes him look like a lightweight. I don't doubt that he's got smarts, but I don't have any sense that he wants to represent the 6th District. It feels more like he wants to impose his agenda on the 6th District -- and that may be what is going to eventually trip him up.

Personally, I find it hilarious/annoying that B-list Hollywood celebrities like Alyssa Milano are touting Ossoff as idel for Georgia. What in the hell do they know or care about who represents Georgia? I think Matt Gorman put it perfectly: "Nothing says 'I care about local issues' more than flying in Hollywood celebrities." The minute a celebrity endorses someone, it makes me distrust the candidate more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta