Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2017, 02:32 PM

1,054 posts, read 924,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
i have *major* policy issues with the democrats right now. murdering innocent civilians overseas, mandating that all citizens buy a product from a corporation (the individual mandate), virtually enslaving millions of black americans in for-profit prisons and bankrolling wall street and multinational corporations at the expense of the rest of us are not minor policy differences. i can't support this crap. it's wrong. and if choosing between that and fascism are our only choices, how can you call this a free country? our government is losing its legitimacy.
The two political parties are really two sides of the same coin, each with their own shiny veneer designed to distract and divide the population, in order to feed the corpulent status quo.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:18 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,889,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aries4118 View Post
What/who do you support?

I used to be a Democrat. Honestly I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and realized that people on both sides are putting on blinders and playing a fear game, leaving a very small minority of smart and well-resourced people with the power to manipulate everyone else. Knee jerk issues designed to divide people up come and go, but most deep systemic issues that really define our reality are always off-limits in public debate. Bernie started talking about some of them, albeit coming from a big government perspective, and the party bigwigs nipped that in the bud pretty damn quick. The same thing happened to Ron Paul. The truth is that we're being divided against ourselves on petty issues. Most Democrats and Republicans have a lot more in common than they realize. If they ever figure that out, the jíg is up-- so in our time of instant information and worldwide communication, stoking fear and division and spreading misinformation is more imperative than ever to keep the game going and the eyes off of the real issues. Enter Trump, the most divisive candidate in history. It's no coincidence that he decided to run in this particular election-- although sometimes it's hard to tell whether he even knows that himself.

Old 04-02-2017, 04:27 PM

23,509 posts, read 44,182,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
I used to be a Democrat. Honestly I have been doing a lot of soul searching recently and realized that people on both sides are putting on blinders and playing a fear game, leaving a very small minority of smart and well-resourced people with the power to manipulate everyone else. Knee jerk issues designed to divide people up come and go, but most deep systemic issues that really define our reality are always off-limits in public debate. Bernie started talking about some of them, albeit coming from a big government perspective, and the party bigwigs nipped that in the bud pretty damn quick. The same thing happened to Ron Paul. The truth is that we're being divided against ourselves on petty issues. Most Democrats and Republicans have a lot more in common than they realize. If they ever figure that out, the jíg is up-- so in our time of instant information and worldwide communication, stoking fear and division and spreading misinformation is more imperative than ever to keep the game going and the eyes off of the real issues. Enter Trump, the most divisive candidate in history. It's no coincidence that he decided to run in this particular election-- although sometimes it's hard to tell whether he even knows that himself.
One of the better posts I've read on here this year. Sorry TPTB won't let me rep you, bryant.

Old 04-02-2017, 06:09 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,920,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
This is what I'll never understand about leftists. Yes, the Trump loyalists are upfront about depriving the poor and sick of health care. They're upfront about abolishing the EPA and rolling back regulations on polluters. They're upfront about repealing financial regulations and letting Wall Street privatize profits and socialize costs. They're upfront about mass discrimination against Muslims, gays, and all other outgroups that catch their attention, and they're upfront about deportation forces that tear families apart. They're upfront about seating right-wing justices who will eventually overturn Roe v. Wade. They're upfront about burning down the Department of Education and turning public schools over to creationists on local school boards throughout the Bible Belt. They're upfront about increasing military spending and slashing social spending while tearing up the rules of engagement that protect civilians in warzones. They're upfront about responding to third-world levels of income and wealth inequality in this country by slashing taxes for the rich (again). They're upfront about their view of American cities as crime-ridden hellholes where the big problem is that not enough young brown men are incarcerated in privatized prisons. They're upfront about making it as difficult as possible for brown people to vote.

But leftists congratulate them for being "upfront" about their single-minded determination to turn the entire country into Mississippi. Meanwhile, they despise moderate Democrats for their moderation, even though moderate Democrats are on their side on all those issues, because they're not far enough over on their side.

"At least the Trumpkins disagree with me about everything, as much as it's possible to disagree. I just can't stand these centrist Democrats who agree with me about almost everything but disagree with me, marginally, about a few things, or about immediate priorities, or about political tactics!"

"At least." Meaning, you prefer your enemies and your self-righteous outrage to allies that don't meet your ideological purity test. You get the politics and the society you deserve.
What are you talking about? Who is congratulating whom for being upfront about trying to "turn the country into Mississippi?"

Old 04-03-2017, 10:01 PM

135 posts, read 88,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forhall View Post
We get it. You're a hard R voter only. No need to make excuses
If Ossoff were the Republican you'd find a way to vote for him regardless of what you say.
The exact same reason you will find a way to vote for an inexperienced 30 year old simply because he's not a republican. Look whose calling the kettle black.

Old 04-03-2017, 10:25 PM

1,456 posts, read 1,324,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
The exact same reason you will find a way to vote for an inexperienced 30 year old simply because he's not a republican. Look whose calling the kettle black.
Experience isn't the winning argument for me. I don't care how much experience someone has if they are fighting for more discrimination, against Healthcare access, or for using our tax dollars to expand the military instead of on domestic programs.

I don't mindlessly believe in any one party like so many others. I voted for Romney in 2012 because I figured he could fix Obamacare and he was a very liberal republican. The GOP has gone insane since then so yes, I lean more Democrat now, but I'm smart enough to step back and vote on issues. Amazed at how many people will justify anything their own party does because they treat it like some "us vs them" tribal warfare instead of just thinking for themselves. It's particularly fascinating when I see poor, white Republican voters actively voting for politicians who campaign on removing their Health insurance and union rights.

Old 04-04-2017, 04:17 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,920,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
There are five Democrats in the race. Ossoff is not the default candidate because he is a Dem. There are other choices. At least Ossoff has studied foreign affairs, has government experience and has demonstrated a commitment to public policy, which is more than we can say for the new de facto Secretary of State, Jared Kushner.

Old 04-04-2017, 06:44 AM

643 posts, read 572,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
There are five Democrats in the race. Ossoff is not the default candidate because he is a Dem. There are other choices. At least Ossoff has studied foreign affairs, has government experience and has demonstrated a commitment to public policy, which is more than we can say for the new de facto Secretary of State, Jared Kushner.
Comparing this race to someone not even running in an attempt to fool yourself into believing your turd sandwich of a candidate is qualified and/or capable.

Person A sucks. Person B is not Person A. Person B is awesome!

Dumb dumb dumb

Old 04-04-2017, 07:09 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,647,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Comparing this race to someone not even running in an attempt to fool yourself into believing your turd sandwich of a candidate is qualified and/or capable.

Person A sucks. Person B is not Person A. Person B is awesome!

Dumb dumb dumb
Well at least we now know that you are one of those Repubs who believe that they (Repubs) can do no wrong even when their Sh** is smeared all over your face!!!!!

Old 04-04-2017, 08:27 AM

816 posts, read 997,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
Well at least we now know that you are one of those Repubs who believe that they (Repubs) can do no wrong even when their Sh** is smeared all over your face!!!!!
It was Obama's fault. Duh.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta