Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2017, 08:43 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,662,746 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
But totally acceptable when Democrats engage in it.

The underrated(and short lived) Democratic gerrymander of Georgia in 2002
It should be banned period. Voters should be able to vote for whoever they like in their district and Gerrymandering should be out-lawed.

Old 04-04-2017, 11:23 PM

4,790 posts, read 6,954,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
It is clear that the democrats will elect ANYONE as long as it is not a Republican. God help us all.
dude. the GOP literally just elected trump. projection?

Old 04-05-2017, 05:14 AM

23,760 posts, read 44,619,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeyondInfinity View Post
It should be banned period. Voters should be able to vote for whoever they like in their district and Gerrymandering should be out-lawed.
I strongly agree. I simply see as another form of vote tampering.

Old 04-05-2017, 07:20 AM

1,164 posts, read 1,276,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hokiehaven View Post
There was something in the past couple weeks, where they were going to gerrymander GA again.

Georgia Republicans pass racial gerrymander.
This one was at least voted down in the Senate after a lot of pushback. Reapportionment Chairman Johnnie Caldwell said it was either Rich Golick or Brian Strickland who suggested the changes, but he couldn't remember which one...

Georgia House Republicans back off redrawing some district lines

Golick is my rep and I wrote him a strongly worded letter expressing my views on the measure. He probably will lose his job in the near future as the district continues to change, but sorry, politicians shouldn't get to pick their voters. It's supposed to be the other way around.

Old 04-05-2017, 09:49 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
But totally acceptable when Democrats engage in it.

The underrated(and short lived) Democratic gerrymander of Georgia in 2002
No, it isn't okay. We need an independent entity to draw district boundaries. I think most citizens agree on this whether they are Republican or Democrat.

Old 04-05-2017, 10:26 AM

356 posts, read 321,279 times
Amen, Cameron H. I feel like my father is the only person I know who actually talks about the great things our country has done. The rage cycle is out of control. We should celebrate our successes more and our contributions to the world. And not in a bs political partisan bragging sort of way, that everyone sees right through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
That's the old argument against taking any domestic action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Both China and India are making significant strides. We should lead by example and push them to do more.

http://climateactiontracker.org/countries/china.html [you can check India and the U.S. on the same site]

But my comments weren't limited to pollution that affects the whole planet. The EPA and environmental regulations more broadly have been amazingly successful in cleaning up our air and water, right here. We've cleaned up ozone, lead, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, mercury, DDT, CFCs -- the list goes on. We've cleaned up superfund sites and brownfields. Our rivers rarely catch fire these days.

Sometimes when I'm having these discussions I don't know if the people I'm talking to are just young and don't remember what it used to be like or if we just have a case of collective amnesia. One of the things that's most dispiriting about populist and "anti-establishment" politics on both the left and the right is that, while we don't exactly have a perfect track record over the past several decades, we don't seem willing to give ourselves any credit for what we've actually done well, for our actual accomplishments and real progress.

And it's not just about the environment -- it goes to a lot of issues. America took the lead in building these, actually, really miraculous post-war institutions that have given us 70 years without a great-power war, we rebuilt our former enemies and started trading even with our geopolitical rivals and we reduced the percentage of the global population living in extreme poverty from 37% to less than 10% since 1990. Nevertheless, the left hates NATO, the right hates the UN and has apparently joined the left in hating NATO, and both sides hate trade. Same goes for civil rights and liberties -- actually, same goes for just about everything.

Too many people, in my opinion, either don't know, don't care, or have just forgotten and are all too ready to just burn it all down. We should definitely remember our ****ups and failures, too, but we shouldn't only remember our ****ups and failures. We've done some good ****, too: Republicans and Democrats, corporations and bureaucrats, activists and politicians. And plenty of ordinary people. Everyone's so angry and one reason, I think, is we've forgotten all the good ****.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:15 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,960,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanmichael View Post
So the qualifications are to study foreign affairs? Ossoff doesn't even reside in the 6th district. It is clear that the democrats will elect ANYONE as long as it is not a Republican. God help us all.
God help us? Yes, with Trump carrying the banner for the GOP, we sure as heck need it.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:30 PM

10,016 posts, read 7,441,124 times
Ossoff at 20 years old would have been a better president than Trump, and a better congressman than Tom Price.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:43 PM

643 posts, read 578,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
Ossoff at 20 years old would have been a better president than Trump, and a better congressman than Tom Price.
Turd A is not as bad as unrelated Turd B.

Therefore Turd A is wonderful.

Idiot logic.

Old 04-05-2017, 12:48 PM

32,088 posts, read 37,200,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cameron H View Post
That's the old argument against taking any domestic action to reduce greenhouse gas emissions. Both China and India are making significant strides. We should lead by example and push them to do more.

http://climateactiontracker.org/countries/china.html [you can check India and the U.S. on the same site]

But my comments weren't limited to pollution that affects the whole planet. The EPA and environmental regulations more broadly have been amazingly successful in cleaning up our air and water, right here. We've cleaned up ozone, lead, carbon monoxide, nitrogen dioxide, sulfur dioxide, mercury, DDT, CFCs -- the list goes on. We've cleaned up superfund sites and brownfields. Our rivers rarely catch fire these days.

Sometimes when I'm having these discussions I don't know if the people I'm talking to are just young and don't remember what it used to be like or if we just have a case of collective amnesia. One of the things that's most dispiriting about populist and "anti-establishment" politics on both the left and the right is that, while we don't exactly have a perfect track record over the past several decades, we don't seem willing to give ourselves any credit for what we've actually done well, for our actual accomplishments and real progress.

And it's not just about the environment -- it goes to a lot of issues. America took the lead in building these, actually, really miraculous post-war institutions that have given us 70 years without a great-power war, we rebuilt our former enemies and started trading even with our geopolitical rivals and we reduced the percentage of the global population living in extreme poverty from 37% to less than 10% since 1990. Nevertheless, the left hates NATO, the right hates the UN and has apparently joined the left in hating NATO, and both sides hate trade. Same goes for civil rights and liberties -- actually, same goes for just about everything.

Too many people, in my opinion, either don't know, don't care, or have just forgotten and are all too ready to just burn it all down. We should definitely remember our ****ups and failures, too, but we shouldn't only remember our ****ups and failures. We've done some good ****, too: Republicans and Democrats, corporations and bureaucrats, activists and politicians. And plenty of ordinary people. Everyone's so angry and one reason, I think, is we've forgotten all the good ****.
Well said, once again, Cameron.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta