Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2017, 03:51 PM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryantm3 View Post
like, y'all know i think MikeHonchoATL is a complete moron, but even he can see through this guy. he's like if the trump people were actually good at being liars. my dad and brother watched the debate with me, and both of them are liberal democrats who were planning on voting for Ossoff. they both changed their minds.
If they are choosing to vote for a different Dem, then they are helping the Republicans. If they are truly liberal, then ANY one of the Dems is going to agree with their policies more than any of the Republicans. So, what to do? The only chance of winning the district is to get behind ONE candidate and that candidate must be strategic. I like Ossoff. I also liked Richard Keatley. But I am going for the win. Ossoff had the money needed to be competitive in an uphill race. And I can guarantee that the people canvassing and phone banking with me have been volunteers from Georgia, because I have been working through my Cobb County progressive group.

It is more than this candidate. There is a big picture here. I want to send the message to politicians that they should not feel so safe in their gerrymandered seats. Maybe then, we can see more responsiveness to constituents and, dare I say, more incentive to seek bi-partisan solutions.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:24 PM

643 posts, read 571,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
The commercials really suck.

Ossoff: "Vote for me. I'm against corruption, theft, violence against women and ISIS." I mean, what sane person isn't?
Thats what I've been saying all along.

People can't handle the truth.

The guy has no record to run on so he has to rely on bold policy statements like "ISIS is bad." What a clown.

Old 04-06-2017, 04:26 PM

643 posts, read 571,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
If they are choosing to vote for a different Dem, then they are helping the Republicans. If they are truly liberal, then ANY one of the Dems is going to agree with their policies more than any of the Republicans. So, what to do? The only chance of winning the district is to get behind ONE candidate and that candidate must be strategic. I like Ossoff. I also liked Richard Keatley. But I am going for the win. Ossoff had the money needed to be competitive in an uphill race. And I can guarantee that the people canvassing and phone banking with me have been volunteers from Georgia, because I have been working through my Cobb County progressive group.

It is more than this candidate. There is a big picture here. I want to send the message to politicians that they should not feel so safe in their gerrymandered seats. Maybe then, we can see more responsiveness to constituents and, dare I say, more incentive to seek bi-partisan solutions.
People keep shouting about the gerrymandered districts, but look at the map. It isn't very bad at all.

Don't repeat stupid stuff just because you heard other idiots say it.

Think more.

Old 04-06-2017, 06:24 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times
On the contrary, you can clearly see the gerrymandering around metro Atlanta, where most of the state's population is.

My district, 11, is pretty ridiculous. Contains parts of Atlanta proper, but also Bartow County? Wha? I guess it's basically a way for Buckhead to guarantee that they have a Republican/conservative representative?

District 13 is similarly ludicrous, it's obviously designed to be the black district. Attempts to concentrate Democratic votes into one district, keeping neighboring districts 'safe'.

Everything looks basically designed to discourage any competition or battleground districts.

Rural Georgia doesn't have micro-gerrymandering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it strategically minimizes the 'Black Belt' of rural African-American, Democratic-voting population corridor that runs through the center-south region of the state, by splitting those folks into different districts so that the Dems don't have a play.

Gerrymandering.

Last edited by primaltech; 04-06-2017 at 06:33 PM..

Old 04-06-2017, 06:36 PM

9,830 posts, read 7,258,301 times

Old 04-06-2017, 07:15 PM

23,460 posts, read 44,068,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by primaltech View Post
On the contrary, you can clearly see the gerrymandering around metro Atlanta, where most of the state's population is.

My district, 11, is pretty ridiculous. Contains parts of Atlanta proper, but also Bartow County? Wha? I guess it's basically a way for Buckhead to guarantee that they have a Republican/conservative representative?

District 13 is similarly ludicrous, it's obviously designed to be the black district. Attempts to concentrate Democratic votes into one district, keeping neighboring districts 'safe'.

Everything looks basically designed to discourage any competition or battleground districts.

Rural Georgia doesn't have micro-gerrymandering, but I wouldn't be surprised if it strategically minimizes the 'Black Belt' of rural African-American, Democratic-voting population corridor that runs through the center-south region of the state, by splitting those folks into different districts so that the Dems don't have a play.

Gerrymandering.
There it is, pretty much.

Old 04-06-2017, 08:11 PM

32,019 posts, read 36,773,537 times
Quote:
From what I've heard a lot of the liberal types up in Buckhead aren't too happy about the way the 11th district was gerrymandered.

Old 04-07-2017, 04:37 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,908,827 times
Quote:

Gerrymandering.
Very good comment and spot on.

Old 04-07-2017, 05:33 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,871,997 times
not to mention dividing up macon, augusta, and athens right down the middle, that was a neat trick. we need to get rid of political parties honestly. it's encouraging groupthink.

Old 04-07-2017, 06:48 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,291,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeHonchoATL View Post
Thats what I've been saying all along.

People can't handle the truth.

The guy has no record to run on so he has to rely on bold policy statements like "ISIS is bad." What a clown.
What do you expect him to say in a 30 second commercial? I'm not seeing substantive statements from any candidate in their ads. I never have, and neither have you, but somehow it's a problem now, and only for this candidate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta