Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2017, 04:34 PM

10,398 posts, read 11,724,575 times

Advertisements

POLITICO Magazine: "GOP sirens blare over Georgia special election...Republicans brace for the possibility of an unnerving defeat"

From POLITICO Magazine:
Quote:
The GOP is bracing for the prospect of a loss in Tuesday’s Georgia’s special election that could have far-reaching implications for President Donald Trump and his party’s fortunes in 2018.

As grim confidential polling data circulates among GOP strategists, interviews with nearly two dozen Republican operatives and officials reveal that they are preparing for the possibility of an unnerving defeat that could spur lawmakers to distance themselves from Trump and his already-troubled legislative agenda, and potentially encourage a wave of retirements.

While no one is willing to publicly write off Handel’s chances just yet — Republicans stress that she remains competitive and point to robust GOP early voting figures — several private surveys taken over the last few weeks show Republican nominee Karen Handel trending downward, with one private party poll showing 30-year-old Democrat Jon Ossoff opening up a more than five-point lead in the Republican-oriented, suburban Atlanta seat.

“If we’re losing upper middle class, suburban seats in the South to a 30-year-old progressive liberal, we would be foolish not to be deeply concerned about the possibility that would exist for a tidal wave election for Democrats in 2018,” said Chip Lake, a Georgia-based Republican strategist and former Capitol Hill chief of staff.

Some fear the catalytic effect a GOP loss would have on the Democratic opposition, which has been raising money and recruiting candidates at a breakneck pace since Trump’s inauguration.

“If Ossoff wins, you’re going to see the floodgates open, with Democrats recruiting candidates in races from governor to county commission,” said Randy Evans, an influential Republican National Committeeman from Georgia.
"GOP sirens blare over Georgia special election...Republicans brace for the possibility of an unnerving defeat" (POLITICO Magazine)
GOP sirens blare over Georgia special election - POLITICO

Old 06-16-2017, 04:44 PM

3,006 posts, read 2,656,522 times
I hope Democrats in the 6th stay vigilant and keep knocking on doors, drumming up support until Tuesday. And vote.

Old 06-16-2017, 06:07 PM

332 posts, read 347,846 times
Dems are probably blowing out the early vote. Hopefully it will be enough to hold off the GOP Election Day surge.

North Fulton was packed today when I voted.

Old 06-16-2017, 07:24 PM

5,845 posts, read 6,210,289 times
Really hope this election is clean. With no paper trail, there is no way to verify the integrity of this election, which matters when it is going to be so close.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:27 AM

6,771 posts, read 6,061,009 times
Lots of Democrats posting here

I came here to get some insights from people in the district. Precious little of that.

I watched the debate snippet someone posted upthread, and Ossoff was disappointing; he comes across like a white Obama, very glib and smooth talking but with no knowledge or experience to back up his lofty phrases. "I support a livable wage, blah blah blah". He sounds very coached, very rehearsed, probably has national Democratic operatives in his house working with him, handing him the debate questions in advance, making him memorize the answers, all that good stuff that they do.

Ms. Handel comes across as a poor speaker who is utterly lacking in charisma and charm, but she still wins on the facts: if you force a "livable wage" through legislation, then small businesses will take a huge hit. Democrats never mention this point, because they just don't care. Their constituency is anti-business.

The Wall Street Journal reports that $60 million has been spent on this special election so far, mostly by outside groups, mostly on the Democrat side. So that's what it costs to buy a House seat these days. Pathetic.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:37 AM

1,207 posts, read 2,832,271 times
Stop knocking on my door.
Stop the daily political mailings that I immediately toss into the recycling without even taking a look at what they say.
Stop the ridiculous never-ending television ads that are invariably false.

$60 million down the drain is insane.

*I am among the 120,000 who voted early.

Old 06-19-2017, 06:51 AM

3,930 posts, read 2,122,563 times
Here are some more facts"
Most of the money for BOTH is coming from outside no surprise there.

Don't fool yourself into thinking is the Dems pouring in the money

Where the Cash Is Coming From in Georgia and South Carolina Special Elections

Ossoff is no price, but Handel has been horrific and her ideas are not in tune with most of those living in her area. She might win if people vote down party lines which is why her campaign has been about painting Ossoff as a liberal Californian democrat which is false.

She is a horrible choice in my view

Old 06-19-2017, 07:11 AM

6,771 posts, read 6,061,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roxyrn View Post
Stop knocking on my door.
Stop the daily political mailings that I immediately toss into the recycling without even taking a look at what they say.
Stop the ridiculous never-ending television ads that are invariably false.

$60 million down the drain is insane.

*I am among the 120,000 who voted early.
What's your feeling? Is Ossoff going to win?

Old 06-19-2017, 07:41 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,406,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post

Ms. Handel comes across as a poor speaker who is utterly lacking in charisma and charm, but she still wins on the facts: if you force a "livable wage" through legislation, then small businesses will take a huge hit. Democrats never mention this point, because they just don't care. Their constituency is anti-business.
Ossoff's take on wages (as stated in the recent debate) is much more nuanced and intelligent than Handel's "I"m against a livable wage."

That's inarguable.

As for being rehearsed and prepared...why is this a problem? Anyone with sense and smarts would predict which questions they're likely to be asked and prepare answers. You'd really have to be an idiot not to do that.

Last edited by JPD; 06-19-2017 at 08:41 AM..

Old 06-19-2017, 08:30 AM
bu2

24,364 posts, read 15,204,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPD View Post
Ossoff's take on wages (as stated int he recent debate) is much more nuanced and intelligent than Handel's "I"m against a livable wage."

That's inarguable.

As for being rehearsed and prepared...why is this a problem? Anyone with sense and smarts would predict which questions they're likely to be asked and prepare answers. You'd really have to be an idiot not to do that.
There's a point where "rehearsed" strikes people as insincere, someone who is just saying what he/she thinks will get the most votes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta