Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-12-2017, 05:51 PM

1,054 posts, read 923,472 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just Blaze View Post
Osoff should easily pass 50%.
Have you a poll showing this? Tealeaves?

Old 04-12-2017, 06:04 PM

1,054 posts, read 923,472 times
Listen, is this were another, slightly more liberal district then the anti-Trump vote would find little resistance.

Not there though.

The district wasn't for overwhelmingly for Trump in the presidential election, but that is very different from this race. Suburban republicans weren't where Trump buttered his bread. This is Marco Rubio type establishment Republican territory.

Old 04-12-2017, 06:32 PM

32,032 posts, read 36,833,008 times
I'm conservative on financial issues and foreign policy but it wouldn't hurt for the 6th to have a Democrat for a while. It never hurts to shake things up every now and then. Lord knows the Republican performance has been less than spectacular.

Old 04-13-2017, 01:55 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,883,640 times
this kind of binary dynamic, with both sides spouting garbage talking points designed to get us upset and look away from what's staring us in the face, is why i am so discouraged about voting on tuesday. i still haven't decided if i am going to vote at all.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:26 AM

2,538 posts, read 1,916,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Listen, is this were another, slightly more liberal district then the anti-Trump vote would find little resistance.

Not there though.

The district wasn't for overwhelmingly for Trump in the presidential election, but that is very different from this race. Suburban republicans weren't where Trump buttered his bread. This is Marco Rubio type establishment Republican territory.
You know that Trump lost Cobb County right? Rubio isn't in this race. We have a an ill-informed, flip flopper at the helm, who may well turn out to be a traitor. I don't think that is playing well In this District.

It isn't as if the GOP has put up stellar candidates. Handel does not have a winning track record. Bob Gray is so hard right it is scary. Gray believes that a 12-year-old raped by her own father should be forced to give birth to her own sibling. There is cruelty in that position that is beyond my understanding.

And now there is this hypocrisy: Republican congressional candidate has attacked foreign worker program his companies used extensively - CNNPolitics.com. Gray is out there complaining about the placement of Ossoff signs when he himself erected multiple large signs in the median on Johnson Ferry Road that were totally illegal. I saw those with my own eyes. And saw Cobb County workers taking them down.

Old 04-13-2017, 06:16 AM

1,456 posts, read 1,323,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
You know that Trump lost Cobb County right? Rubio isn't in this race. We have a an ill-informed, flip flopper at the helm, who may well turn out to be a traitor. I don't think that is playing well In this District.

It isn't as if the GOP has put up stellar candidates. Handel does not have a winning track record. Bob Gray is so hard right it is scary. Gray believes that a 12-year-old raped by her own father should be forced to give birth to her own sibling. There is cruelty in that position that is beyond my understanding.

And now there is this hypocrisy: Republican congressional candidate has attacked foreign worker program his companies used extensively - CNNPolitics.com. Gray is out there complaining about the placement of Ossoff signs when he himself erected multiple large signs in the median on Johnson Ferry Road that were totally illegal. I saw those with my own eyes. And saw Cobb County workers taking them down.
The issue for Republicans right now is that Trump has really exposed the big difference between their two main coalitions. On one side you have wealthy, educated suburbanites who vote Republican mainly to lower their taxes and spending. They don't care much for the racism and religion-centered politics of the far right. They are socially liberal as most educated people tend to be. These are the Mitt Romney or Rubio types. Then you have the lower class republicans. Uneducated generally, they vote Republican because they are fearful. Fearful of minorities, fearful of God, fearful of change. They believe the government should legislate based on Christian morals, and are highly concerned with gay marriage, abortion, prayer in schools - in other words, silly issues that only someone with very low education would bother themselves with. They tend to be poor, so voting republican is truly voting against their own self interests. They typically utilize the services republicans try to remove, like food stamps, welfare, Medicaid, Medicare, and even programs like unemployment and disability. Because they tend to be lower on the socioeconomic scale, they're easier to control with fear. These people gravitate towards Trump, who comes across as a nationalistic dictator in his carefully protected Fox News persona. The problem is that the more affluent republicans (who normally look the other way when it comes to the social aspect of the GOP) are having a hard time ignoring Trump. Tax breaks are great, but useless if the buffoon in office destroys your country in the meantime.

We can see these fractures coming to light in the special elections, just like the one in Kansas earlier this week. The Republican only won by 7, in a district that usually goes Republican by 20 to 30 points. And that was only after the national GOP injected 100k last minute while the DNC had decided to spend nothing. Look at the precinct level votes and you can see what happened - the Republican had high margins in rural, less affluent and less educated areas. Meanwhile the Democrat ran up the score in the cities and the suburbs.

So how will this effect ga6? It will be interesting to see, but like Kansas I expect it will be much closer and we will see traditionally republican affluent neighborhoods turning blue. So far, things are looking ominous for the GOP for the midterms, as gerrymandering can and will backfire if Democrats outperform as they have been.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:14 AM

4,790 posts, read 6,883,640 times
You are really an equal opportunity condescending elitist. Black or white, it doesn't matter; if you're poor and uneducated, you've got it covered. Touching. Brings a tear to my eye.

Let me put it this way: I have a lot more respect for people who got hoodwinked by Trump (or Clinton for that matter) than supposedly educated and sophisticated people who ought to know better.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:20 AM

376 posts, read 331,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOinGA View Post
Yes he lost Cobb but that was because of South Cobb which the 6th district doesn't include. As much as I'd like to think so I'm not going to kid myself into thinking East Cobb turned blue.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:41 AM

9,617 posts, read 6,073,379 times
Lot of ill-informed personal opinions. From a conservative, this shapes up as an interesting race. Looks like the nature of the special election format, (jungle, or all comers), divides the various Republican candidates. That, along with Trump losing Cobb, part of Dekalb, (heavily Dem) being included in the 6th and the Dems throwing amazing amounts of money into the race means Ossoff will approach 50%.

It is hard to conceive of Ossoff getting more than 45%. That is prolly my ideological bent. Too bad the Republicans can't unify around one candidate from the get go. But, that is political diversity for you.

Old 04-13-2017, 08:44 AM

23,489 posts, read 44,152,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whodean View Post
Have you a poll showing this? Tealeaves?
The latest poll I read put him at about 43%. For the kind of money he's spending, he should be getting better results. He's going to need to do better than that if he stands a chance in the runoff.
Jason Carter lost the state with 47% of the vote.
Michelle Nunn lost with 47% of the vote as well.
I predict similar results for Ossoff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta