Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-14-2011, 03:12 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times

Advertisements

I don't want to get into a whole discussion on this, but looking at mugshots is a horrible metric.

You'd have to break down the actual crimes.

If you click on each image, you will see the black folks have much higher instances of arrests for things like battery, armed robbery, and assault.

The white people are more likely to have been arrested for burglary, DUI, and probation violations.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2011, 03:14 PM

1,415 posts, read 1,095,131 times
Maybe if you put in a train station (or subway) like it's name sake would lead you to believe there is one, then it'd have more business. But what do I know, I'm just some guy that used to live in Europe.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM

Oh and those apartments or condos that line 17th street were built from the start to eventually turn into a ghetto. Who builds rowhouses and apartments out of crappy particle board and cheap wood? Cheap, greedy lazy Americans.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:17 PM

32,027 posts, read 36,803,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I don't want to get into a whole discussion on this, but looking at mugshots is a horrible metric.
Mug shots don't tell the whole story by any means but they do give a picture of who the police think are committing crimes. Granted, some of them may later be found innocent.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Who builds rowhouses and apartments out of crappy particle board and cheap wood? Cheap, greedy lazy Americans.
Sure, it would be great if we had blocks of brick and stone townhouses and trains zipping around all over the place. But who's going to pay for all that?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
Sure, it would be great if we had blocks of brick and stone townhouses and trains zipping around all over the place. But who's going to pay for all that?
The people buying them? The people riding them?

Old 12-14-2011, 03:33 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
Oh and those apartments or condos that line 17th street were built from the start to eventually turn into a ghetto. Who builds rowhouses and apartments out of crappy particle board and cheap wood? Cheap, greedy lazy Americans.
Just bad companies trying to make a quick buck. I remember when I head they were including townhomes at Atlantic Station, I was super excited. I think originally Lane and some other companies were signed on to build, but at the end of the day, only Beezer actually did it. I don't know exactly why....maybe the other companies figured out the plots for townhomes looked out over a rough neighborhood to one side, and the Atlantic Station parking deck on the other.

When they were building them, I drove through there and couldn't help but to laugh. They are built poorly, they plots of land are awful, you can barely even consider them part of Atlantic Station because they are across the street and in a ditch. It was horrible planning. I can't imagine who bought them. Had I signed up to get one, I would have pulled out of the contract immediately upon seeing how and where they actually built them.

I will admit that Atlantic Station totally, completely, and 100% dropped the ball on the townhome portion. What a failure.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
Just bad companies trying to make a quick buck. I remember when I head they were including townhomes at Atlantic Station, I was super excited. I think originally Lane and some other companies were signed on to build, but at the end of the day, only Beezer actually did it. I don't know exactly why....maybe the other companies figured out the plots for townhomes looked out over a rough neighborhood to one side, and the Atlantic Station parking deck on the other.

When they were building them, I drove through there and couldn't help but to laugh. They are built poorly, they plots of land are awful, you can barely even consider them part of Atlantic Station because they are across the street and in a ditch. It was horrible planning. I can't imagine who bought them. Had I signed up to get one, I would have pulled out of the contract immediately upon seeing how and where they actually built them.

I will admit that Atlantic Station totally, completely, and 100% dropped the ball on the townhome portion. What a failure.
Thats the problem with metro Atlanta, the city has absolutely no foresight, the state has no foresight, the developers have no foresight either for future needs of the city and only care about maximized profits instead of building housing that can stand the test of time.

The city was built on cheap commodities, mainly cheap housing. I look at the suburbs and laugh at all the poorly constructed homes and massive retail developments, sure they're nice and new now, but wait 20-30 years and they'll be just as ghetto as cities up north with deteriorating neighborhoods, sketchy areas. Those roads aren't going to be in good shape either by then, they'll end up like inner city Atlanta's, poorly maintained and just patchwork everywhere.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
The people buying them? The people riding them?
As for the apartments, wouldn't that kind of construction put them out of the price range for most people?

Regarding trains, it's hard to imagine there would be enough riders to pay for a new line. Atlantic Station is within easy walking distance of a MARTA station and there are plenty of bus lines and a free shuttle.

Old 12-14-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arjay57 View Post
As for the apartments, wouldn't that kind of construction put them out of the price range for most people?

Regarding trains, it's hard to imagine there would be enough riders to pay for a new line. Atlantic Station is within easy walking distance of a MARTA station and there are plenty of bus lines and a free shuttle.
Then they should live somewhere they can afford to live.

What about high speed rail? Shouldn't that be taken into consideration in planning for future needs? Where exactly would a station go if high speed rail came to Atlanta? Instead of putting that Target where it is now in Atlantic Station, they could've built it across the bridge near Northside Dr and Ikea.

If there were a train station, wouldn't it be logical to have a subway line connecting to it? Like I said, Atlanta has absolutely no foresight.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta