Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-30-2011, 10:06 PM

906 posts, read 1,746,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by koko339 View Post
Just a few days it was announced that the Atlantic is going rental: Atlantic Station condos will become apartments - Atlanta Business Chronicle
Thank GOODNESS. I mean, I'm personally invested in this decision since my condo building competes with sales in the Atlantic. But more generally, this is exactly what Atlanta needs to do more of. If the building's mostly unsold, convert to rentals. It takes so much pressure of the inventory/supply, which is better for condo prices all around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-30-2011, 10:21 PM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Yeah, but since the builders refuse to reduce prices to market value (if they did, we would reach equilibrium and they would sell), what makes you think they are going to have market rents?

People don't want to overspend to buy real estate. People don't want to pay too much in rent.

I bet they price the rentals way too high and they still sit empty.

Old 11-30-2011, 10:49 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Atlantic Station is fine ... just like Centennial Park is fine and Midtown is fine and Buckhead is fine and Va-Ha is fine and East Atlanta is fine and Edgewood is fine! What's NOT fine is the overwhelming propensity of people in this city to buy-in to believing a neighborhood is NOT fine, based soley on hearsay or some lone incident they saw on the news!

I swear to God this town is full of the biggest wimps when it comes to LIVING AND WORKING AND PLAYING in a true urban city! Do people in NYC or DC or Chicago or Miami stop patronizing popular locales because of occasional UNRULY TEENAGERS or the unfortunate lone RANDOM SHOOTING or a few CAR BREAK-INS? Hell no! I have NEVER seen anything at Atlantic Station that would make me not want to ever go back, but I guaran-damn-tee you there are tons of people who've never been and have no intention of EVER going just based on the falsehoods they have heard! And unfortunately it has been this way in Metro Atlanta for years and years. It's too simple to say it's just a black-white or class thing or even an "ignorant suburbanite" thing, since even INTOWNERS now buy into the crap ... and I am just sick of it. Does every good thing that happens to this city have to come with a caveat of doom and gloom?

Old 11-30-2011, 11:39 PM

9,067 posts, read 15,803,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoslynHolcomb View Post
A-hem. Strictly from a sartorial point of view, how would one "sag" skinny jeans? I would've thought the point of skinny jeans is the lack of sag.
I thought the same thing but TRUST me it is possible!I have seen it!

Old 12-01-2011, 04:43 AM

4,688 posts, read 8,023,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsboy View Post
Atlantic Station is fine ... just like Centennial Park is fine and Midtown is fine and Buckhead is fine and Va-Ha is fine and East Atlanta is fine and Edgewood is fine! What's NOT fine is the overwhelming propensity of people in this city to buy-in to believing a neighborhood is NOT fine, based soley on hearsay or some lone incident they saw on the news!

I swear to God this town is full of the biggest wimps when it comes to LIVING AND WORKING AND PLAYING in a true urban city! Do people in NYC or DC or Chicago or Miami stop patronizing popular locales because of occasional UNRULY TEENAGERS or the unfortunate lone RANDOM SHOOTING or a few CAR BREAK-INS? Hell no! I have NEVER seen anything at Atlantic Station that would make me not want to ever go back, but I guaran-damn-tee you there are tons of people who've never been and have no intention of EVER going just based on the falsehoods they have heard! And unfortunately it has been this way in Metro Atlanta for years and years. It's too simple to say it's just a black-white or class thing or even an "ignorant suburbanite" thing, since even INTOWNERS now buy into the crap ... and I am just sick of it. Does every good thing that happens to this city have to come with a caveat of doom and gloom?
Most people like AS. Don't let the Atl haters and the people probably who have never been change the perception of it

Old 12-01-2011, 11:26 AM

9,008 posts, read 14,062,786 times
Quote:
just like Centennial Park is fine and Midtown is fine and Buckhead is fine and Va-Ha is fine and East Atlanta is fine and Edgewood is fine!
This is kind of relative, and it depends on what your definition of "fine" is. If by "fine" you mean, perfectly safe it broad daylight or at night so long as you parked very close to where you are, then I agree with you.

However, I wouldn't exactly venture into Centennial Park past 10pm. And lately when I have been to shows at the Earl in East Atlanta, I have noticed it is getting somewhat creepier. If you park in the Earl lot, no worries....but if you have to park a few blocks away, it can get a little sketchy walking back to your car. I haven't had a problem yet, but I have gotten that "watch your back" feeling that your sixth sense gives you when there is a potential for danger. I still wouldn't advise walking around alone for a single woman after dark in East Atlanta unless is was very crowded.

Buckhead and VaHi are no brainers, totally fine. Midtown depends heavily on where specifically you are. There are places in Midtown where I don't feel safe....not that I'm going to get killed, but that one of the many weirdo loiterers who beg for money may get wise and try pulling a knife or something. I have a friend who was mugged right in front of Cornerstone Village recently.

I've never felt that danger in Atlantic Station. Always lots of people, always lots of security.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:45 AM

2,047 posts, read 4,621,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
I stand corrected. Ye Gods.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:13 PM

487 posts, read 1,816,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by afonega1 View Post
lol, yep this is now the in thing with the youths.

Old 12-01-2011, 12:48 PM

13,709 posts, read 21,932,785 times
Well, I am a single white GUY ... if I were female my opinion might be slightly different. But even so, I am old enough to remember when most all those places were spots that you wouldn't be caught dead in the daytime much less after dark, either because they were patently unsafe or there was no reason to go there in the first place. The progress this city has made in turning formerly blighted wastelands into urban hot zones like Atlantic Station, Centennial Park, Edgewood, East Atlanta, etc is something to be CELEBRATED ... NOT FEARED!

Old 12-01-2011, 01:14 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,421,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLTJL View Post
I was super excited when they built Atlantic Station. It didn't quite live up to my expectations, but I'm still really satisfied with what they did. Anything is better than an old mill, or whatever it was, right?

Anyway, I like Atlantic Station. I like walking around, I even go to movies there on occasion.

It seems like everybody I talk to, though, says it has gone "ghetto." I'm wondering what this means. I've never really seen any issues there, but I'll admit that I only go occasionally.

At first I thought it may be just because black people started visiting there, because some people will say ghetto when they really just mean black. But one of my black friends who was renting there got so frustrated with it, he moved out and said he couldn't move out fast enough. He's a pretty tough guy, too, so a bunch of 17 year olds with droopy pants aren't exactly going to faze him. He's probably about 230 lbs. of wall to wall muscle.

So what's the deal with Atlantic Station? I hear weekend nights are notorious for it being completely annoying, but I have never seen any kind of real issue there. I want to know the real scoop.
Kind of like what happened to Buckhood er I mean head.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta