Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 10:20 PM

132 posts, read 427,928 times

Advertisements

That looks like an area I could really enjoy... what do you locals think about it?

Thanks...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2008, 10:39 PM

9,191 posts, read 33,889,276 times
Enjoy in what context? Live there? Entertainment?

My opinion: It's certainly better than what was there (and old factory/mill area), but personally I don't go there often and don't have much of a reason to.

It's very generic. The architecture isn't varied enough to catch my interest visually, and many of the shops there are pretty much what you could find in any suburban mall in the metro area. The condos and townhomes are somewhat overpriced for what you get (I've been in a couple - the quality of construction is "ok" at best in some). There are a couple of decent restaurants there, and IKEA is a neat place to take tourists that are visiting. There is a free shuttle that takes you to the Arts Center MARTA station, but it's not easily walkable directly from MARTA rail for most.

So the verdict (for me): Again, better than what was there for sure. Surprised they pulled it off, actually. But after a couple of visits or so it draws more of a yawn than anything.

What to watch for: In Doraville the old Ford Plant is closing and developers from around the world are trying to get that property, which is larger than the Atlantic Station property as well. The claim is that many have watched what has worked, and what has NOT, in Atlantic Station, and that they are going to build a similar but larger and improved version of it in Doraville on that property. The advantage supposedly being that they will "fix" the flaws they see in Atlantic Station in their designs, and, that it's right next to the Doraville MARTA station so will be easier for folks to access.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
Enjoy in what context? Live there? Entertainment?

My opinion: It's certainly better than what was there (and old factory/mill area), but personally I don't go there often and don't have much of a reason to.

It's very generic. The architecture isn't varied enough to catch my interest visually, and many of the shops there are pretty much what you could find in any suburban mall in the metro area. The condos and townhomes are somewhat overpriced for what you get (I've been in a couple - the quality of construction is "ok" at best in some). There are a couple of decent restaurants there, and IKEA is a neat place to take tourists that are visiting. There is a free shuttle that takes you to the Arts Center MARTA station, but it's not easily walkable directly from MARTA rail for most.

So the verdict (for me): Again, better than what was there for sure. Surprised they pulled it off, actually. But after a couple of visits or so it draws more of a yawn than anything.

What to watch for: In Doraville the old Ford Plant is closing and developers from around the world are trying to get that property, which is larger than the Atlantic Station property as well. The claim is that many have watched what has worked, and what has NOT, in Atlantic Station, and that they are going to build a similar but larger and improved version of it in Doraville on that property. The advantage supposedly being that they will "fix" the flaws they see in Atlantic Station in their designs, and, that it's right next to the Doraville MARTA station so will be easier for folks to access.

I would be living there... I like the look of the lofts... and having so many shops, restaurants and bars

...and the fact it's close to the interstate since I would have to travel to Augusta and Macon...

Old 07-04-2008, 06:48 AM

21,870 posts, read 15,088,914 times
My sister has a floral shop there - Atlantic Station is trying to court more "mom and pop" shops there rather than all the big named stores. There is a plethora of shops and restaurants. Here is a link to the businesses: Atlantic Station® - Life Happens here.

What I like best about Atlantic Station is the Atlantic Station Shuttle. It is free and can zip residents and guests around the development and to the Arts Center MARTA Station free of cost. ASAP-Plus + - TRANSIT (http://www.asap-plus.com/getting-around/transit/ - broken link)

Just know that if you chose the high rise at Twelve - that they are building a sister building named The Atlantic Across the street and some views will be blocked because of the new building.

When Cirque du Soleil pitched their tent there for performances a couple years back - it was perfect. I could attend the show and the dine out and not have to drive to another destination for dinner.

Old 07-04-2008, 10:27 AM

Thanks George... I am still evaluating if Atlanta is for me... if I get the job it would be in the middle of my territory so as far as that is concerned it would be perfect.

Cali to Georgia... not sure if I can make that transition

Old 06-14-2013, 01:19 PM

402 posts, read 703,976 times
Another local restaurant locating in Atlantic Station. This place has really turned around.

Chick-a-Biddy Heading to Atlantic Station - Midtown, GA Patch

Other local restaurants coming soon:
Atlantic Station lands 3 chef-driven restaurants, opening soon | What Now Atlanta

Old 06-14-2013, 02:01 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
I wish they would go ahead and fill in those last holes with buildings...and start on some transit for 17th Street.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:10 PM

3,875 posts, read 4,699,116 times
I may have missed a post elsewhere on transit options for Atlantic Station that confirms this but I am under the impression that there is an already built Beltline station sitting on the north edge of the complex just waiting for a connection to the rest of the future line.

Old 06-14-2013, 02:13 PM

1,512 posts, read 1,963,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I may have missed a post elsewhere on transit options for Atlantic Station that confirms this but I am under the impression that there is an already built Beltline station sitting on the north edge of the complex just waiting for a connection to the rest of the future line.
That's odd. The Beltline doesn't even run adjacent to Atlantic Station.

I DO know that they built 17th Street wide enough for light rail/streetcar to run down it. Probably in the "Bus only" lanes...

Old 06-14-2013, 08:49 PM

858 posts, read 1,385,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alco89 View Post
I wish they would go ahead and fill in those last holes with buildings...and start on some transit for 17th Street.
I cannot comprehend why people keep saying this. Not only is it within reasonable walking distance of Arts Center Station (which is essentially a regional hub), but there are free shuttles which run regularly (a Web site shows their position in real time), and a MARTA bus as well, both of which run in dedicated lanes. If you want to avoid public transit, there are bike lanes, Zipcars, and a charging station for electric vehicles. Short of building the place directly on a Red/Gold line station, they could not have possibly made it easier to get to.

The holes definitely need addressing, though. I suspect that will start happening in the near future. A couple of vacant lots to the west are already being filled in, one with apartments and another with a Buddhist center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta