Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2011, 10:02 AM

2,406 posts, read 3,351,957 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlwww View Post
This is pretty awesome of the HOA, I have a rental house in a similar neighborhood, some loser homeowners don't pay their dues, the hoa blocks them from swim/tennis, but otherwise not much they can do beyond putting a lien on a underwater piece of real estate. Think the driveways belong to home, wish our HOA would cut off their gate remotes! This is a great way to get scumbags out of neighborhood or get them to pay. LOL at the loser playing the race card!

Shame he got this place from his dad after he passes just to let this happen. Too bad he doesn't pay these bills, but can support lawyers. Spend less time trying scam and scheme and more making money to pay bills.
+1

I own two homes with HOA and never had any problems, but then again I am active at the boardmeetings and I pay my bills. What a crazy idea!

Old 06-11-2011, 10:12 AM

2,530 posts, read 4,773,938 times
I live in a fee simple townhome and based on your experience I am so thankful there is no HOA. I have no problem when the HOA is about common areas and amenities which is what you get with most single family neighborhoods. But when it comes to home repairs and maintenance you are basically handing money over to someone to make those decisions for you. There are pros and cons to this theory.

When I bought my home, based on everything I read the experts recommended fee simple and just pay someone to take care of the yard etc. This gives you more flexibility when times are tough as far as pulling back on your expenses. You also have total control over how your money is spent.

The downside is of course you don't have a say in how your neighbors take care of their property. In my neighborhood, there are homes that need repairs more than others but generally friendly neighborhood peer pressure keeps everyone in line. For those homes that are looking a bit sad, the owners are aware and plan to take care of it but due to circumstances the project is currently on hold. In the end, everyone loves living in our place and nothing is empty (they rent very easy and most of the new renters are better homeowners than the actual owners).

When buying into a condo/townhome community, this is something a potential buyer needs to carefully review.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:02 AM

59 posts, read 223,270 times
Quote:
This is pretty awesome of the HOA, I have a rental house in a similar neighborhood, some loser homeowners don't pay their dues, the hoa blocks them from swim/tennis, but otherwise not much they can do beyond putting a lien on a underwater piece of real estate. Think the driveways belong to home, wish our HOA would cut off their gate remotes! This is a great way to get scumbags out of neighborhood or get them to pay. LOL at the loser playing the race card!

Shame he got this place from his dad after he passes just to let this happen. Too bad he doesn't pay these bills, but can support lawyers. Spend less time trying scam and scheme and more making money to pay bills.
Actually I didn't play the race card and I have yet to call the HOA scumbags. All I said is that everyone on the board is white and she feels they give her dirty looks. I have said all along that is is my fault for not keeping current on the special assessments and for that matter their more then 100% attorney fees. It was when they blocked her car in the driveway, we lost personal wages and received undue stress is when I started to vent and share my story. I never lost track or was not current for 6 years on the normal association dues. Furthermore it is my understanding the association should have been building a reserve all along from collecting their fees.

Update: I was told that today they will be removing the blocks so I can get my wife's car out. No one has arranged with me one way or the other.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtcorndog View Post
+1

I own two homes with HOA and never had any problems, but then again I am active at the boardmeetings and I pay my bills. What a crazy idea!
I happy for you and have a question and I am not being smart. Does your HOA issue special assessments fees to the homeowners or do they keep a reserve? Does your HOA levy fines 100% over what the assessment is for a missed special assessment installment? And yes - shame on me for not being active at board meetings so this is a big life lesson for me. I plan to be at the next board meeting the first of next month. But from what I hear they are closed to only elected board members - and no talks around here anyways. The HOA president does not return my calls and from what I understand are not following the advice of their legal team.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:10 AM

10 posts, read 20,992 times
I do have some sympathy for you, but you failed to pay the bills. The board doesnt care if your wife is black or purple, they don't like you/wife because you don't pay your share.

I still think it is awesome move by hoa, sure others will pay HOA instead of buying a new smartphone or LCD tv!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:13 AM

It is pretty common for HOA to have assessments for large expenses, paving, roofs, etc, beyond what is in reserves.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:14 AM

I drove by earlier, even funnier in person!

Old 06-11-2011, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I live in a fee simple townhome and based on your experience I am so thankful there is no HOA. I have no problem when the HOA is about common areas and amenities which is what you get with most single family neighborhoods. But when it comes to home repairs and maintenance you are basically handing money over to someone to make those decisions for you. There are pros and cons to this theory.

When I bought my home, based on everything I read the experts recommended fee simple and just pay someone to take care of the yard etc. This gives you more flexibility when times are tough as far as pulling back on your expenses. You also have total control over how your money is spent.

The downside is of course you don't have a say in how your neighbors take care of their property. In my neighborhood, there are homes that need repairs more than others but generally friendly neighborhood peer pressure keeps everyone in line. For those homes that are looking a bit sad, the owners are aware and plan to take care of it but due to circumstances the project is currently on hold. In the end, everyone loves living in our place and nothing is empty (they rent very easy and most of the new renters are better homeowners than the actual owners).

When buying into a condo/townhome community, this is something a potential buyer needs to carefully review.
Good points and thanks for reaching out. I do have a lot to learn. I know the board is also mad at me for removing my deck that was decaying and not building back a new onw so this is rather sad looking I know. The same time the special assessment came I was planning to have it placed back. I own my own business and we have been scrapping along.

My fantasy goal is try and be president here of the HOA here. I will wave to neighbors and if they are in need go by and help them. I will schedule neighborhood pool events and outings. I will make it so people will LOVE to move in here because everyone is warm and friendly. I will bring the property value way up! If people fall behind I will communicate to them, in person, and even offer to help them with ways to make more income. Ok maybe wishful thinking at where I am now but who knows. One day... president of the HOA! But I will be at the next board meeting. I will start getting involved.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:25 AM

Good attitude, how much do you need to pay to get cleared up?

Perhaps friend or family will lend it to you

Old 06-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
I do have some sympathy for you, but you failed to pay the bills. The board doesnt care if your wife is black or purple, they don't like you/wife because you don't pay your share.

I still think it is awesome move by hoa, sure others will pay HOA instead of buying a new smartphone or LCD tv!
Again - not being smart here - but do you think the HOA is acting heroic when new home buyers see 2 units with construction grade pillars on two of the units blocking people's cars in. Honestly do you think that will raise the property value here? By blocking her in all week I lost an entire week's worth of wages. I was supposed to write a script but had to not to do it due to stress and having to take my wife where she HAD to go. My condo is really one of the most noticeable as it is a corner unit. As far as buying new toys, people are moving out instead of getting a new gadgets. I learned a lady here is on a fixed income is leaving this weekend. About the race card - Again - I did not play the race card and I am sorry if it appeared I was. I thought this was a place/ forum to share my entire story. To more explain, The HOA president here sits in front our home by the street and talks on the phone for a few hours every night (not now tho) and she has tried to wave and be nice but every time he turns away. One night she came in and mentioned to me and her feelings of what she felt was really going on. I told her no - that I did not think it was a race issue. This has been all along - even b4 we feel behind on the their attorney fees. But I tend to agree with you - the HOA and their Attorney's WANT their money. I get that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Atlanta