Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 08:55 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,575,591 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBear View Post
Yes, it's sunny but there is NO WAY that Denver is a mild winter. Compared to Chicago, yes.
Lets see... Denver is just as cold (sometimes colder), gets more snow, is windier and has longer snow periods. How is Denver's winter more mild again? Oh yeah, more sunshine right?

As for Denver vs PHX. I find Denvers climate more appealing, but thats just me. I dont like being subjected to the same crap day in and day out, which is pretty much how PHX is for 9 months of the year. Those that like cooler temps will find Denver more appealing, and those that find warmer temps will find PHX more appealing.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:36 AM

687 posts, read 2,037,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
Lets see... Denver is just as cold (sometimes colder), gets more snow, is windier and has longer snow periods. How is Denver's winter more mild again? Oh yeah, more sunshine right?

As for Denver vs PHX. I find Denvers climate more appealing, but thats just me. I dont like being subjected to the same crap day in and day out, which is pretty much how PHX is for 9 months of the year. Those that like cooler temps will find Denver more appealing, and those that find warmer temps will find PHX more appealing.

Just an honest question. Have you lived in Phoenix 9 months out of the year?

Old 04-23-2008, 09:51 AM

1,920 posts, read 2,791,354 times
Quote:

Denver is a consistant inconsistancy. Yeah, I guess your right, if you don't like it when its comfortable and sunny 7-9 months a year, then the wild wacky weather of Denver would be very appealing. I type this as I get ready to put my Denver Bronco shirt on (kind of an irony).

Old 04-23-2008, 10:00 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,575,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mi_Mom View Post
Just an honest question. Have you lived in Phoenix 9 months out of the year?
No, never claimed to have either. Ive spent many months in AZ, but not at one time. Ive been there for each season a dozen times each (or more), and I know the only time it really changes is in winter for a few days when it gets cloudy and rainy, and in summer when it gets rainy and humid. Other than that, its sunny and dry, sunny and dry, sunny and dry, sunny and dry, etc, etc, etc. Heck its probably more than 9 months worth of sunny and dry weather. Thats far too consistent for my liking, as I stated. Some love it though.

Old 04-23-2008, 12:22 PM

687 posts, read 2,037,023 times
Quote:
No, never claimed to have either. Ive spent many months in AZ, but not at one time. Ive been there for each season a dozen times each (or more), and I know the only time it really changes is in winter for a few days when it gets cloudy and rainy, and in summer when it gets rainy and humid. Other than that, its sunny and dry, sunny and dry, sunny and dry, sunny and dry, etc, etc, etc. Heck its probably more than 9 months worth of sunny and dry weather. Thats far too consistent for my liking, as I stated. Some love it though.
That's all I wanted to know. Thanks.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:15 PM

435 posts, read 1,579,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
You cannot predict the weather there. I know one thing. Im going to wake up here in gilbert in the morning, and its not giong to snow. In fact, Its going to be warm.
Yeah, and it's going to be really, REALLY warm in a few weeks. And it's going to stay that way for a really, REALLY long time. I'd be interested to hear in another 5 months whether or not you miss Denver.

Old 04-23-2008, 01:24 PM

435 posts, read 1,579,072 times
Quote:

Dude, I don't want to debate this anymore. It's silly. I grew up in the Detroit area, spent most of my life in the midwest before moving to Denver. Regardless of what the weather statistics may tell you about highs, lows, and snowfall, I've lived in Denver year-round, I live in Colorado now, and I absolutely will testify that the winters here are MUCH nicer than they were back in the midwest. I've got lots of company as far as fellow transplants who feel the same way. If you don't believe me, head on over to the Colorado forum and check out what some of the midwest/east coast transplants have to say about it. The majority rave about the improvement in weather over where they came from.

Bottom line- lots of sun, no humidity, the & snow, at lower elevations, doesn't stick around long. There may be occasional big snow dumps in the city, but a few days later you would never know it. That's such an improvement over the gray, slushy, dreary mess winter brings back east. I only speak from experience. Live there for a year, then get back to me and see if you're still skeptical.

Old 04-23-2008, 03:01 PM

1,920 posts, read 2,791,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve22 View Post
Yeah, and it's going to be really, REALLY warm in a few weeks. And it's going to stay that way for a really, REALLY long time. I'd be interested to hear in another 5 months whether or not you miss Denver.
I hear ya. I used to live in Hemet California. Its in the inland empire. Is it as hot...not really, but it did get HOT compared to the rest of California. 6 weeks in the 100-115 degrees. Yep, I know thats not Phoenix, and it gets hotter here. I aclmated to that heat after a while. I just have never been able to appreciate snow and Ice. Drifting snow creeps me out when I drive. Kinda snakes along the road. YOu know what I mean, Im sure alot of folks on this thread may not if they have lived here forever. Denver had its good points: My asthma had disapeared in the winter. It was a wonderfull break from the humidity of Austin Texas (I get around).

My home faced the wrong way and the snow NEVER melted. My fault for sure for not listening to the agen. 5 months solid of not seeing my grass. My driveway was an icecube that I somehow had to chip away at, or face a fine. I constantly had to shovel and chip the sidewalk. My windshield fluid FROZE. I had a fish pond installed by the former owners. The water delivery system froze over and broke. I could not use the hose to fill it up (as water will evaperate quickly in that dry air), because my hose froze.

As long as I stay inside, which I do when Im working my 12 hour shifts during the DAYTIME, I will be fine. I will have to go to my car I suppose, but I have a remote control to turn it on and cool it off. I have LOTS of sunscreen. In Denver, I had buy lots of skin lotion. I think I will be just fine. You will not see my Penski pulling up in the BRONCOs state any time soon.

Old 04-23-2008, 05:44 PM

287 posts, read 900,337 times
Turn on the oven and open the door and feel the heat. That's Phoenix. Now other parts of AZ don't get as hot and other parts can get even hotter. Been here since '81 & didn't have a car w/ac until my late 20's. After having that 1st car with AC my tolerance for the heat is going down hill. Might be age, too. But the other parts of the year are great if you can get through the hot months. Really great.

Old 04-23-2008, 06:09 PM

862 posts, read 2,627,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberdrow View Post
I just have never been able to appreciate snow and Ice.

My home faced the wrong way and the snow NEVER melted.

You will not see my Penski pulling up in the BRONCOs state any time soon.
I'm the same way. Snow & ice get REALLY OLD, REALLY FAST, the first time for me when it snowed and it was 10F outside, I thought to myself, man this REALLY stinks. The cold bites harder as you get older.

I had snowdrifts that turned into ice and I needed a 4x4 just to get out of my driveway. The drive was north facing and it would never melt. I almost crashed when I hit a patch of ice on the road. I-70 was shut down SO MANY times that people were stranded for days due to the snow and ice.

Back in OCTOBER of 1997, Denver got TWO FEET of snow from a storm. Back in 1982 they had the blizzard in December that SHUTDOWN Denver for ONE WHOLE WEEK. The mayor had to resign after that storm. In December 2006, the airport was closed for over 2+ days & the streets were empty and long stretches of highway were impassable for days. THAT IS DENVER WEATHER FOR YOU!

How do you like driving in this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona